Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #43
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
All I'm saying is "rough and hard" are negative terms while "positive and firm" are not as negative and get the same point across. Your adding a negative connotation rather than just supplying info.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #44
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
All I'm saying is "rough and hard" are negative terms while "positive and firm" are not as negative and get the same point across. Your adding a negative connotation rather than just supplying info.
Why would I try and swing a positive on something that has disappointed me?
Forget it don't answer.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #45
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
OK i havent done this yet, but have the shifter while looking at the items and instructions i need some better pictures or instructions. Does anyone have better instructions with pics. I have a 2LT RS what really do i need to be cognisant of?
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #46
Evokatana

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just had the MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter installed.

When I went to MTI Racing event in Talladegha I got to experience this shifter. I had a Hurst Shifter on my 71 Z28, and the linkage seemed to lock up sometimes and I had to crawl under it and bang on it a few times. I like MTI's better.

Before I went down there I asked them the difference on why MTI over Hurst. This is their reply....

Our MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter is HUGE improvement in feel over the stock shifter. It actually shifts better than stock. 99.9% of customers report that they finally have a good solid connection between them and the transmission. We accomplished this with thorough engineering and maximizing the feel, and redesigning certain elements of the linkage that make the entire assembly stronger and last longer. A throw reduction of 25% was chosen because that is where we found the optimium feel, combined with the best total feel, combined with the easiest shifting effort. Our shifter also accepts either the stock Camaro knob or you can use our retro stylle Cue Ball knobs. (see attached pic)

To my knowledge the Hurst shifter is just a short throw shifter stick. It does not address the shortcomings in the linkage or improving the overall feel of the shift selection. To my knowledge, the throw reduction is significantly higher than ours. In our research, this is not optimum. It shortens the throw at the expense of stiffer feel. The higher shift effort is harder on your wrist, which makes it more difficult to find 5th gear and Reverse.

It is good to have a choice of shifters to buy.

a) You have one style that makes shifters the same way they did 40 years ago.
...and then
b) You have the other one that is an engineering masterpiece, using the best materials and technology available to make the best feeling, most precise shifter for the 2010 Camaro.
Evokatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #47
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguycamaro View Post
Mine has absolutely no noise, it is awesome.
no noise at all!! (Im using the stock knob)
Its just a little harder, just like my old Pro.5 mustang shifther.
But the shifts are WAY faster, I havent miss a shift since

So yes "little" harder than stock but its MUCH faster! and the way it gets into each gear is perfect!

JM
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #48
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Whatever,my own fault for not waiting until other bought and installed this shifter. No one to blame but myself.
Tom, I see you have an old Nova and an old Mustang. Any of them 4-speeds? Just curious if this is your first Hurst shifter experience.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #49
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evokatana View Post

When I went to MTI Racing event in Talladegha I got to experience this shifter. I had a Hurst Shifter on my 71 Z28, and the linkage seemed to lock up sometimes and I had to crawl under it and bang on it a few times. I like MTI's better.

Before I went down there I asked them the difference on why MTI over Hurst. This is their reply....

Our MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter is HUGE improvement in feel over the stock shifter. It actually shifts better than stock. 99.9% of customers report that they finally have a good solid connection between them and the transmission. We accomplished this with thorough engineering and maximizing the feel, and redesigning certain elements of the linkage that make the entire assembly stronger and last longer. A throw reduction of 25% was chosen because that is where we found the optimium feel, combined with the best total feel, combined with the easiest shifting effort. Our shifter also accepts either the stock Camaro knob or you can use our retro stylle Cue Ball knobs. (see attached pic)

To my knowledge the Hurst shifter is just a short throw shifter stick. It does not address the shortcomings in the linkage or improving the overall feel of the shift selection. To my knowledge, the throw reduction is significantly higher than ours. In our research, this is not optimum. It shortens the throw at the expense of stiffer feel. The higher shift effort is harder on your wrist, which makes it more difficult to find 5th gear and Reverse.

...and then
b) You have the other one that is an engineering masterpiece, using the best materials and technology available to make the best feeling, most precise shifter for the 2010 Camaro.
In my knowledge of over 14,000 mi behind the hurst shifter he dos not know what he is saying, my shifter goes from 1 to 2 with no effort and then push it in to 3 and pull it in to 4th and up and over in to 5th and one more time down in to 6th, This is the best shifter i have used other then the one that came in my 1986 928S4 .
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #50
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evokatana View Post

...and then
Well I would agree MTI is way off base and doesnt know what they are talking about , as well as the last two comments, respectfully stated of course. To say Hurst is making shifters the same way they did 40 years ago is A) a compliment that they are still around!.Any of the other companies here been around that or or WILL BE?. (B) completely off base because the cars of today are totally different then the cars back then so as technology advances, so does the technology of the materials used and how Hurst builds shifters. Does MTI or the other shift companies out there sell GM, Ford, Dodge, Callaway, Roush etc etc. directly?. NOPE!... That states quite alot!.. These other companies such as MTI & the like cater specifically to a target market and they build alot of different products for that market..That's OK..And of course they market themselves as :"Well buy from us because we specialize in your car"..Again, that's ok.. BUT, HURST is a shifter company!. Who knows how to build shifters better than a SHIFTER company?..Probably not many =)
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #51
DMAX

Drives: 01 silverado 2010 2SS/RS Sim
I have no problem finding all the gears with the hurst shifter , works great for me .
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #52
tom692010
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Tom, I see you have an old Nova and an old Mustang. Any of them 4-speeds? Just curious if this is your first Hurst shifter experience.
those are just two of my hobby cars. The 67 is an auto and the 69 has an auto in it,but everythings torn out so I'm not sure what's going back in. My other 2 cars are manual as well as many other cars I have owned. So this isn't my first manual. I've had 1 other manual that was high performance 69 Chevelle.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #53
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
those are just two of my hobby cars. The 67 is an auto and the 69 has an auto in it,but everythings torn out so I'm not sure what's going back in. My other 2 cars are manual as well as many other cars I have owned. So this isn't my first manual. I've had 1 other manual that was high performance 69 Chevelle.
Just checking. Then maybe there's something wrong with the install or your kit. Since you know the Hurst is more "mechanical" in feel there must be something else.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #54
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Remember, the GM Hurst is only 20% throw reduction, where the shifter from Hurst Aftermarket is 44%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
The shifter is not designed to be smoother than stock. Its designed to be "dedicated" gate to gate with a more direct connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Most short throw shifters offer a stiffer shift and thats what most people are looking for.
Quote:
Well I would agree MTI is way off base and doesnt know what they are talking about.

Subzero05,
Please refer to the quoted comments above your post. We've been doing this for a long time. Our 2010 Camaro shifter is being used in Grand Am, European Spec series, and remarketed by several notable aftermarket suppliers. There is always someone whose opinion goes around in circles.

Through extensive testing and engineering, the MTI Racing Six Shooter Shifter for 2010 Camaro successfully maximized the feel and precision. A throw reduction of 25% was chosen because that is where the data shows the optimium feel, combined with the best total feel, combined with the easiest shifting effort. Any more than this, and it is not optimum because it further shortens the throw at the expense of a stiffer feel.

Quote:
can't please everyone
Just like you said... Can't please everyone...but we can give them a better shifter.

Last edited by MTI Racing; 10-14-2009 at 08:42 AM.
MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #55
tom692010
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=ckaram;1041423]Just checking. Then maybe there's something wrong with the install or your kit. Since you know the Hurst is more "mechanical" in feel there must be something else.[/QUOTE

I'm a maintenance Mechanic by trade. Re built the 67 mustang from ground up. I'm pretty sure I did it right. In fact I even pulled it down this past friday and redid it to see if I missed something. Heck I was hoping I did. But it was installed correctly.
My point being is if I had any idea what I was going to get I'd have passed. It's like the guy here who told me I'm wording my posts too negatively. I'm just being honest. So now if someone reads these posts before he buys he'll have an accurate description of what to expect. I just got caught up in all the excitement of the release. I learned, won't happen again.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #56
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
get a buddy, a couple beers and do it yourself!..its a very straightforward install
This is exactly how my install will go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
OK i havent done this yet, but have the shifter while looking at the items and instructions i need some better pictures or instructions. Does anyone have better instructions with pics. I have a 2LT RS what really do i need to be cognisant of?
I'll get a DIY install going with pix when my shifter comes in.

Quote:
I'm a maintenance Mechanic by trade. Re built the 67 mustang from ground up. I'm pretty sure I did it right. In fact I even pulled it down this past friday and redid it to see if I missed something. Heck I was hoping I did. But it was installed correctly.
My point being is if I had any idea what I was going to get I'd have passed. It's like the guy here who told me I'm wording my posts too negatively. I'm just being honest. So now if someone reads these posts before he buys he'll have an accurate description of what to expect. I just got caught up in all the excitement of the release. I learned, won't happen again.
Your idea of accurate and other members ideas of accurate can EASILY vary...since I just read numerous posts of how members love their new shifters and have had no problems. They like it. You don't.

We get the fact that you don't like the shifter. Repeating yourself over and over in this thread is unnecessary. We get the point. Thanks for your input.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote