Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
Bolt-ons are for beginners! Making something that does not use the factory mounting holes is not silly. Thinking that everything can be made to mount up to factory mounting holes, IS! Not everybody is afraid of a little paint and body work to get the look they want. I think it would look stupid with another spoiler added to to just to make it work with factory holes. Keep up the good work on it like it is!
if the decklid spoiler was on something small like 25% of the camaros, I would agree with you. I would guess more like 75%+ have them. to design against this and require a couple hundred extra of investment just to make it work .. meh, not for me.

I'm no business major but chances are more people would be interested if it cost them less to make it happen. if it's being designed to be more rare and targeted at a more unique audience, so be it, I'm just sharing the reason why I passed on this spoiler (and I heavily considered buying it)

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
if the decklid spoiler was on something small like 25% of the camaros, I would agree with you. I would guess more like 75%+ have them. to design against this and require a couple hundred extra of investment just to make it work .. meh, not for me.

I'm no business major but chances are more people would be interested if it cost them less to make it happen. if it's being designed to be more rare and targeted at a more unique audience, so be it, I'm just sharing the reason why I passed on this spoiler (and I heavily considered buying it)
You have the RS package... That was 1500 more just for an appearance package. Same thing here. If you want a spoiler that looks diffrent from the Camaros on the used car lot, you gotta pay to play. It seems kinda lazy/cheap/silly to me to not buy something because it takes a little more work/money to make something fit.

But anyway, sorry to threadjack... I LOVE IT and think it should be made ASAP!

OOOO!!!! Painted carbon fiber with some of the CF showing...
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
camchris

Drives: 2010 yellow
We will try our best to find a creative way to plug factory holes.

I can look into the costs of paint to shoot them color-matched. Paint is not an issue other than added cost.

But being realistic this is no small spoiler, as stated earlier if the orders are there then we will hook them up with some paint.

We can do anything - I dont have the greatest photoshop skills but I can get someone in the office to throw in a dove tail style into the wing for a possible design option.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #18
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
BlaSSt Off, these guys are taking the original design and improving upon it to make a product normal people want to buy. If you're all gung ho about filling in holes and drilling new ones then good for you. Most people don't want to bondo and drill into their $35k car. Most people are beginners. You say that like it's a bad thing. Like Entaille said, after the initial cost of the spoiler and then the cost to get it painted properly, the total cost of the project is pretty steep. If you're adding in the cost of getting the holes filled professionally and possibly even painted, then you're probably in the neighborhood of the project costing $1k. Most people aren't into paying that much for a spoiler. But, if you can get a painted spoiler for under $500 then I think there's a substantial market for that.

Camchris posted this thread because he wants to know what changes can be made to the original design to make it more sellable to Camaro owners. It doesn't take much to move the mounting points of the spoiler so they align with the factory mounting holes. They're making their own from scratch so they can pretty much do whatever they want. Enough people expressed their dislike of the mounting issue in the original Firebreather spoiler thread to make this a very real issue to consumers. I also suggested a bit of the dovetail look added to give it a little extra of an aggressive look. Otherwise, to me, it kinda just looks like a flat wing. Not everybody will share this opinion and that's fine. Maybe everybody would think it's even more amazing that way. I was just throwing it out there.

Let's see what these guys can come up with.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
Scixx

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS
+1 carbon fiber
Scixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
EDGE_

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS SIM L99
Painted or Carbon Fiber as is - Most likely
Painted or Carbon Fiber with effective way of using existing holes - Definitely.
EDGE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #21
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
sorry I dont have access to better photos, I clipped these out of facebook..

here is a possible solution. look at the bottom of this spoiler, in between the two posts, the bottom blade could be used to create a half seal to at least hide them, and rubber grommets/silicone could fill the holes or something, they'd be covered and out of sight / out of mind.

this allows owners to revert back to stock later and keeps a sharp appearance, imo.
Attached Images

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
camchris

Ok, check this "unprofessional" rendering, I added a small "hang" over the quarter panel, to incorperate a small dove tail on it too.

Last edited by camchris; 01-26-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Firebreater company wants us to not use thier name..
camchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
the original looks best

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I like the dove tail but not the side overhang. I realize it's not a professional rendering but, I think it's a good effort to capture the look. Could you possibly try another angle, like say standing a few feet to the right of the driver's side tire? Think that would help greatly.

Good job though thus far.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
camchris

tHANKS Ill do my best! Trying to get someone else in the office to help me out too make it look better.
If not I should have something shortly.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

no worries... we've got the whole winter
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #27
KybheSS

Drives: Black '10 2SS/RS
Count me in. Painted or un-painted that is a sweet spoiler and I'd pay upwards of 350-450.
KybheSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #28
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
They, Firebreather, are selling their spoiler, on this site
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote