Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
Garage security question

Hey everyone I need advice on how I can best protect my garage where my car is stored, it's at my house btw. I noticed a while back that someone got in through an unlocked window and stole some very sentimental items. But I have locked all the windows since then but I noticed that someone has tried to get in since then. Someone suggested that I put big pieces of plywood on the inside of the garage . Is this a good idea? Any input would be appreciated
hollywoodjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Bars on the windows? A dog? A big gun?

Making sure everything is locked up is really all you can do. The plywood should work. May look like crap but should work.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Alarm system and a gun.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Put an alarm on it. Paint the windows black drill a hole with a masonary drill into the pavement in front of the door and put a hardened eye bolt in it with another eye bolt through the door and fasten them together with a quality padlock. Remember, your best protection is a neighbor that doesn't secure his stuff. I make my motorcycle just a little harder to steal than my neighbors. My SS calls me on the phone if it is moved.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
IF you like the window in your garage to be able to let a little light in but still be a bit more secure, get a piece of 1/4" think lexan and screw it into the frame of the window on the inside. it won't look bad, you get light in, but if someone REALLY wants in, it will be a LOT MORE trouble. OR as suggested, put the lexan in, but also piant the inside of teh lexan to keep the "looky-loo's" from seeing whats inside.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
Put an alarm on it. Paint the windows black drill a hole with a masonary drill into the pavement in front of the door and put a hardened eye bolt in it with another eye bolt through the door and fasten them together with a quality padlock. Remember, your best protection is a neighbor that doesn't secure his stuff. I make my motorcycle just a little harder to steal than my neighbors. My SS calls me on the phone if it is moved.
Ok, explain please. What alarm do you have that the car calls you when she's moved?

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, explain please. What alarm do you have that the car calls you when she's moved?

Thanks!
I'm sure it's LoJack...

If the car moves like 2ft witout the FOB around then LoJack will call up to 5 phone numbers. Something like that.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
S&W
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post

Thanks!
Enhanced Lojac. It calls my home, cell, wifes cell, emails me at home, and emails me at work. it costs $900.00 and you get a 33% discount on your fire and theft insurance. It works with a small transponder that goes on your keychain, if the car moves without the transponder in the car, it goes into it's calling mode. If your car is indeed gone you call the cops and Lojac and they turn on the tracking device and find your car. It is hidden, unlike the Onstar that has the shark fin antenna.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
lexan window, locks on doors, blinds for the window so you can let light in when you want,and a alarm with sirens in both the house and garage or just have it tied into your home security

just remember you actually have to use it lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
hollywoodjose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
lexan window, locks on doors, blinds for the window so you can let light in when you want,and a alarm with sirens in both the house and garage or just have it tied into your home security

just remember you actually have to use it lol
The car or security system? I'm gonna wire in a motion light this weekend maybe get blinds this weekend as well. O have a couple shotguns burnt garage is not attached to the house. It was my grandpas shop but I moved stuff around and got it organized so the car could fit. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep em coming
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
hollywoodjose

Dont know if anyone will read this but
someone got in again and took two chop saws, one was 10" blade and the other i am not sure of the size. I had 3 and one was tucked underneath in a cabinet and two were on the bench and now they're not there. Still no damage to my car and cant figure out how they're getting in. I put a padlock on the main door, put a board up over 1 window, gonna do the rest tomorrow, filed a police report. Any advice on if what I'm doing is gonna probably help? Anyone else experienced problems like this?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Stand out there tonight with a shotgun and wait for someone to show up.

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Garage Monkey?

Best as to not advertise your wares.

Case in point? Neighbor 1/2 mile down the road had (I said had) a 2008 Harley V-Rod sitting in front of his house...Sat there, in the rain, wind, whenever...Guys who want and love their Hareys DO NOT leave their stuff out in the open.

Guy comes to my house for some obscure reason...And proceeds to tell me his Harley was stolen. I ask if he owned the 2008 V 2nd house from the corner and he said yes. I proceed to rip him a new A hole... And explained why I thought it was an insurance job.

He walked away real quick after my neighbor told him I was the PoPo.

Off my pedestal...

Anything can be defeated...the easiest and cheapest is to install contact sensors on entry points hooked up to a LOUD audible alarm. Do not worry about an alarm company.

Been a PO for 21 years and have seen it all. Alarm companies take time to get the alarm, then it takes time to notify 911, then it takes time to notify the officer, then it takes time for the officer to get there.

$100-150 will get you a GREAT self installed alarm. If you want to be really sly, buy a fake alarm code pad with a flashing LED light that is noticible and buy (or steal) some ADT alarm signs that they put in front of houses. You could also get fake video cameras with LED lights and put them in hi vis areas.

Done deal!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote