Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #29
Jerry S

Drives: 2010 2LT and 1969 SS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Yeah - if they offer an extended warranty, you'll want it. The display is almost guaranteed to die within 12 months every time.

IMO - it's too much hassle to replace the kit every year. Something as simple as an LED backlight should last longer than 10-12 months. Thankfully, the rest of the kit still works for me until a better solution comes along.

Is there some reason the LED cannot be replaced?
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
The LED is not burning out, it's the circuit that turns on the LED. It's one RGB LED. you can cut the leads and wire them up to be the color you want.

I found a metra programmer diagram that shows how to build your own using a cheap cable off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251285722338

I bought one, and found a 4 pin connector in my junk box, then updated the firmware on my metra unit using the free download from Metra Axxxess Updater.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #31
SSlim

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 1SS/RS A6
Mine just started doing the same thing. metra sucks!
Whipple, GT9 cam, LS3 conversion, ZL1 pistons, ZL1 rods, Circle D converter, Stage 3 trans, Tuned by Pat G, CAI inc, TPS headers, posi mod, Dynomax bullet cat back, VMAX TB, ADM Scoop, RX catch can, Eibach prokit plus, Eurotek Mesh 33 wheels, P13w DRLs, Pioneer/Massive Audio/Vibe/JL interior goodies.
613 RWHP/596 TQ
SSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #32
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
And the problems continue. The units are cheaply built & they should not have even put them on the market without testing these units. I can't recall any product that has had the failure rate of the Metra & Scosche units. Both companies should be ashamed. I think a class action lawsuit. What do you all think?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:27 AM   #33
DP93

Drives: 2016 HBM 2SS Camaro
I just had the same problem happen to me a few days ago after having the unit installed for roughly 18-20 months. Absolute garbage on Metra's part. They really need to step up the quality of their products
DP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #34
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Yep. Mine did the same thing. The LCD is completely out now, and I've had the kit for about the same amount of time. I'll be trying the Pioneer one next. The Metra was great for awhile (only one available when I got mine), but it just looks and feels cheap. The buttons stick, the fitment could be better, and the LCD was the final problem.
pioneer one ?
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #35
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
That was one of the first things i upgraded when i purchased my car in late 2009 and started flickering about 5 months ago. Really don't think its still under warranty.

How has it held up ant pics? did the stereo go out or the metra kit kit kinda of confused
Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #36
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
The LED is not burning out, it's the circuit that turns on the LED. It's one RGB LED. you can cut the leads and wire them up to be the color you want.

I found a metra programmer diagram that shows how to build your own using a cheap cable off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251285722338

I bought one, and found a 4 pin connector in my junk box, then updated the firmware on my metra unit using the free download from Metra Axxxess Updater.

what is going out now Im scared and dont even want to mess with it?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
Mine is still working, but in a new twist, all my dash gauges and the
DIC glitch randomly. The speedo and tack needles peg, all tires are reported as flat, all warning lights flash, and just total mahem, then it recovers. Its got to be that heater control from metra causing it.

-Robert
Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #38
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
Mine is still working, but in a new twist, all my dash gauges and the
DIC glitch randomly. The speedo and tack needles peg, all tires are reported as flat, all warning lights flash, and just total mahem, then it recovers. Its got to be that heater control from metra causing it.

-Robert
I know this is an old thread but, I'm sure it's still a current problem for some of us. I recently took my Camaro out of storage for two years and need to address this.

rray - Thanks for the tip to bypass the Led driver circuit. Did you determine if the Metra was causing the other issues mentioned in the above quote?
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote