Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Soloshawn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
CAI ??

There are a lot of CAI's listed on this site. How do you pick one that is good for the RWHP and looks at the same time. Start with the CAi then go to the pipes and then the header one step at a time.
Soloshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Oh snaps... another shawn! Solo instead of Shadow! DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!

Well if you want one that looks good, you should definitely go with a cardboard box. If you want one that makes good RWHP you should probably look up Jannetty's excel spreadsheet. They show all the RWHP numbers, but not the looks numbers. Sorry :(
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
I have the CAI intake and i love the look and it works great. I haven't done it yet but I've heard and seen plenty of people with Kooks headers and the Borla ATAK exhaust

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
I think if looks is more important to you than numbers then get what you think looks good, your not going to miss the couple extra horses you might get out of different one.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
depends on your budget. If you can afford headers, do them at the same time. If I had the money, I'd have headers and a camshaft right now. But since I don't I just have the CAI for now I second what was said to check the Janetty CAI comparison spreadsheet. You can get a good idea of which ones don't perform. Most perform very closely so it's more of a looks thing and a choice of choosing a CAI that requires a tune to perform at its best.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
shift has a good point

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Soloshawn, give us a call, we'd be more than happy to help you figure it all out.

Sincerely,

Rick
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloshawn View Post
There are a lot of CAI's listed on this site. How do you pick one that is good for the RWHP and looks at the same time. Start with the CAi then go to the pipes and then the header one step at a time.
The Jannetty dyno tests are a good resource. Also, check out this article about CAI systems. There is some good info there to help you make your decision. As for what order to make your mods in, it doesn't really matter. Here is an article about selecting headers when you get to that point. And feel free to hit me up if you have any more questions.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Soloshawn

A few snide comments out there for a simple question. You could have just said CAI, and I already liked the looks. If no one was concerned about the looks they would take off those plastic covers over the engine. Only dragsters don't care what it looks like on the inside. Choice between not opening the hood and people going what is that vs. 2 less HP and that looks really cool. Have no idea what Texas is talking about. I raced motorcycles and cars on road courses at a professional level for 30 years so I didn't fall off the turnip truck. All the HP in the world will not make you faster unless you know how to use it. As we say everybody can go fast in a straight line, it's the baking and corners that makes you fast.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloshawn View Post
A few snide comments out there for a simple question. You could have just said CAI, and I already liked the looks. If no one was concerned about the looks they would take off those plastic covers over the engine. Only dragsters don't care what it looks like on the inside. Choice between not opening the hood and people going what is that vs. 2 less HP and that looks really cool. Have no idea what Texas is talking about. I raced motorcycles and cars on road courses at a professional level for 30 years so I didn't fall off the turnip truck. All the HP in the world will not make you faster unless you know how to use it. As we say everybody can go fast in a straight line, it's the baking and corners that makes you fast.
Ok, you had 6 posts that were helping you out and one that didn't, yet you soley focused your response on the one negative one. Don't worry about the negative comments.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Roto-fab CAI is available in many configurations including:
Dry or oil filter
Powder coated air box in red, yellow, white, silver or black
Automotive painted air box any color
Polished stainless steel inlet elbow
Carbon fiber inlet elbow

The intake will arrive well packaged. During installation you will notice the instructions are thorough and have color pictures. The components fit as they should without modifications to your car. Our system performs well, sounds great and looks good in the car.
You can find many, many posts on this board and others about customer satisfaction and great dyno results. Please take the time to review many sources when making your choice. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also, our Holiday sale starts today-$40 off intake systems!

Don't forget to check out our gallery at roto-fab.com for more pics.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
I also have the CAI, and I think by the results of the Jannetty spreadsheet it is one of the best, and in my opinion, is also one of the best looking.
It was my 2nd mod, after suspension, and was the biggest seat of the pants improvement to date.
The exhaust and tune were good, but not as good as the CAI, for real feel improvement.
I have high expectations for the headers, can't wait to see how it changes things.
Hope that helps!
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Soloshawn

I ordered a CAI this morning with the option black ceramic coating. Thanks for the help and the spredsheet. That made the decision for me. I ordered directly through CAI for $399 + $50 for the black option. Same price as retail outlets except the money goes directly to the manufacturer and not the middle man.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
Inferno Orange SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Good choice!

Inferno Orange SS is offline   Reply With Quote