Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #43
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedogg View Post
We think very much alike. I am about to buy a 99 Z28 though...I won't buy a new Camaro till 11 or 12...by then the onstar will be manditory.
You cant beat the LS1 4th gen deal, especially a t56 car IMO and the 99 is my favorite year. I just sold my 99 on ebay and will be without a Camaro for a while , I hope to order a white 1SS in 15 -18 months, waiting on a 2011 and deleting the Onstar.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #44
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
OnStar calls an ambulance for you and your family, dispatches them to your crash location, and possibly saves your lives, even if you're unconcious.

Priceless!
I really do think that this part of OnStar should be something that is standard on all cars. Maybe even something like GPS that becomes a public service.

As far as all the other spying crap, we would all freak if we really knew how much we were listened to and watched.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #45
Leedogg

Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
You cant beat the LS1 4th gen deal, especially a t56 car IMO and the 99 is my favorite year. I just sold my 99 on ebay and will be without a Camaro for a while , I hope to order a white 1SS in 15 -18 months, waiting on a 2011 and deleting the Onstar.
This is a T56 car with a fresh forged pistoned LS6 and a TR224 cam, 71K miles for less than 6500. Needs a little work-power windows are shot, and such...but can't beat the price. And no onstar. Gonna drive it back and forth to Louisianna from South Alabama every week for work. (I work offshore)

OK I will quit jacking the thread now.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #46
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
See! I mean who hasn't done donuts somewhere??? Sure a schools soccer field ain't cool...but I've done more than my share in the schools parking lot back in the day. Reckless driving tickets and I don't like each other.LOL
The only reason that kid was contacted was because of the damage that was done. I guarantee you that if he did that in a parking lot when no one was around, the onstar person would not have known that the simple donuts were begin done... Had he stayed on asphalt, he would have been fine. I'd bet you anything. On top of that, if you have no witness for the reckless driving, you have no real case. However, tire marks all over a field are a bit different.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #47
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Other than that- like others have said- crap is just in the way...my Yukon has that crap- and it pisses my off everytime I accidentally hit the button and it talks to me. I don't subscribe to it- so it is just in the way.

Personally I'd like my SS minus the onstar AND minus the radio...I'd rather have my own sound system installed.
I have never hit the onstar buttons accidently,
anyway If your buttons are on the rear view mirror you can reach around behind it and unplug the connector and disable the buttons....
Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #48
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
This is a T56 car with a fresh forged pistoned LS6 and a TR224 cam, 71K miles for less than 6500. Needs a little work-power windows are shot, and such...but can't beat the price. And no onstar. Gonna drive it back and forth to Louisianna from South Alabama every week for work. (I work offshore)

OK I will quit jacking the thread now.
Sounds like a good deal, they all need power window motors.

On topic, the Onstar is just alittle too much IMO, I'm just getting used to airbags, and multiple airbags in a car for safety. It is becoming a norm that we "need" all these things to live and drive safetly, if I was that paranoid about dying in a wreck, I would stay home on the couch because it wouldnt be any fun to drive.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #49
Leedogg

Drives: 1996 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I have never hit the onstar buttons accidently,
anyway If your buttons are on the rear view mirror you can reach around behind it and unplug the connector and disable the buttons....

In my Yukon it has a button on the steering wheel...I hit it all the time. I think it is for the phone. Either way- it sucks. I read that the New Camaro's radio is gonna have bluetooth phone connectivity- That would be sweet- and do all that I would want onstar for...but I'd still rather put in my own sound system.
Leedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #50
dstairs
Farewell Thor

Drives: 95 Caddy Deville Concours
The conspiracy theory group has arrived. On Star does not track your vehicle unless you give them permission. They require you to give them your Personal Identificaion Number to report the the location to the Police. Even the diagnotics emails you receive telling you about having low tire pressure or need an oil change are only sent once a month and can be opted out of by not giving them an email.

And I am sure plenty have commented on the offensive IMG referring to the great Jews takeover of the economy, but I wanted to add my 2 cents to it as well. Please do not post images that can be contrued as hateful to others, you may be doing so as a joke, but I can assure you many of my jewish friends would be greatly offended, just as other races and groups would be if something racist was posted in here. Lets talk about Camaros and leave the hate in the real world.
dstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #51
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
STOP USING THE INTERNET! STOP USING ALL TELEPHONES! STOP DRIVING IN AREAS THAT HAVE CAMERAS SET UP! STOP GOING TO STORES THAT HAVE SECURITY CAMERAS! DON"T LEAVE YOUR HOUSE OR TALK TO ANYONE!

Get a life and stop being so Paranoid..... I would hate to be someone that worried all the time about someone spying on them, the only ones needing to worry are the ones that have something to hide. If you screw up and have an accident and you were speeding, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS, don't try to blame someone because of your stupidity...

I agree 100%.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #52
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
and thats all i got to say about that
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #53
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
So how can we remove the entire onstar system?

I'm sorry I don't need to be stiffed with an ambulance bill because someone backed into my car with a packsack on the seat....
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #54
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Lets look at the pros and cons of Onstar:

Pros :

It CAN save lives.
It is a GPS.
It can help you get reservations.
It tells you if something is wrong with your car.
It can help you locate your car if stolen.
It can unlock your doors if you lock your keys in your car.
It reminds you about recalls.
It can be used to call for assistance (ie you see a accident)
It is a nice tool if you need it in court.
Turn by turn NAV is great.
And did I mention, it CAN save the lifes of you and your loved ones?

Cons:

If you're drunk and run a red light and kill somebody, it will help you rot in jail.
If you traffic cocain, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to blow up govenment or medical buildings, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to street race like a retard, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to steal cars, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to talk about killing the president in your car, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to run over kids and leave the scene of a crime, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rob banks, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rape women in your cars, it will help you rot in jail.

Sounds to me like people who dislike Onstar because "THE MAN IS KEEPING US DOWN" have something to hide and/or break the law. People recording people isnt something new people, and you're not going to win with your "Freedom of Speech" bullcrap. It clearly states that OnStar just doesnt hit the record button whenever it feels like it. Start breaking the law, and Onstar could help you behind bars, and to me thats a good thing.
One thing I hate is stupid people being retarded and break the law. I still dont understand how you can dislike Onstar.
If you dont break the law, then how can you hate it? Who cares if they listen to you plowing your wife on a saturday night?

The first time I ever used Onstar I got directions to my mothers house. I knew the way i just wanted to see how it works, and it was so nice. If they want, they can listen to me rock out to Disturbed, because I know I'm not breaking the law.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #55
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
Lets look at the pros and cons of Onstar:

Pros :

It CAN save lives.
It is a GPS.
It can help you get reservations.
It tells you if something is wrong with your car.
It can help you locate your car if stolen.
It can unlock your doors if you lock your keys in your car.
It reminds you about recalls.
It can be used to call for assistance (ie you see a accident)
It is a nice tool if you need it in court.
Turn by turn NAV is great.
And did I mention, it CAN save the lifes of you and your loved ones?

Cons:

If you're drunk and run a red light and kill somebody, it will help you rot in jail.
If you traffic cocain, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to blow up govenment or medical buildings, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to street race like a retard, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to steal cars, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to talk about killing the president in your car, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to run over kids and leave the scene of a crime, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rob banks, it will help you rot in jail.
If you like to rape women in your cars, it will help you rot in jail.

Sounds to me like people who dislike Onstar because "THE MAN IS KEEPING US DOWN" have something to hide and/or break the law. People recording people isnt something new people, and you're not going to win with your "Freedom of Speech" bullcrap. It clearly states that OnStar just doesnt hit the record button whenever it feels like it. Start breaking the law, and Onstar could help you behind bars, and to me thats a good thing.
One thing I hate is stupid people being retarded and break the law. I still dont understand how you can dislike Onstar.
If you dont break the law, then how can you hate it? Who cares if they listen to you plowing your wife on a saturday night?

The first time I ever used Onstar I got directions to my mothers house. I knew the way i just wanted to see how it works, and it was so nice. If they want, they can listen to me rock out to Disturbed, because I know I'm not breaking the law.

+ 1K
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #56
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
Sounds like someone has been listening to Glenn Beck. I have OnStar in my Impala and I don't think the FBI cares what I am up to. I had OnStar in my Trailblazer since 2004 and I did not see one black helicopter.
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote