Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Sound level difference: 2.5" vs 3" exhaust

Is there an appreciable difference in volume between 2.5" and 3" exhausts?

It seems choices in exhaust come into two main categories:
Raspy (Corsa, Stainless Works, etc)
Deep (Borla, Flowmaster, etc)

The raspy systems seem to have a reputation for being drone-free probably due to the higher sound frequency while the deeper sounding ones are more likely to resonate in the trunk/cabin and cause drone.

I'm kind of torn between the sounds I like best but currently my number one concern is total volume. I live in a condo complex where my garage is directly underneath my upstairs neighbor's unit and faces another identical condo so I'm a little concerned about the bark at startup. I also have to drive slowly through pretty much the whole complex to reach the exit.

I'm leaning towards either the Corsa or Stainless Works systems right now, but these also seem to be the loudest and I don't want to wake the dead when I take off for work every morning. Almost none of the sound clips point out if they're 2.5 or 3" systems so I'm wondering if the smaller exhaust will have the same tone but be less loud?

Long story short, has anyone else been through the stock-is-too-damn-quiet-but-I-don't-want-to-piss-off-the-neighbors ordeal and reached a satisfying conclusion?
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Sour DeeZ

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS M6
3" you will have drone for sure. It is a personal choice. For me I love the drone from my 3" Kooks.
2011 SS/RS IOM M6 --- Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers Coated, Kooks 3" HFC, Kooks X-pipe, Kooks 3" Cat-back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Custom Quad Exhaust & Diffuser, Custom Tuned at Jannetty Racing. (2) 10" JL Audio w6's. Rockford Fosgate Power T500-1. Cache COE6.
Sour DeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
The 3" systems tend to be deeper sound that carries a bit. My Magnaflow 3" SS Competition reverberates insidiously when in the garage and only a bit less when outside. A 3" may not be the best choice if you are parked in or under anything as it will resonate into the structure. Not sure there is a win/win in your scenario (neighbors)...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
Stainless works is anything but Raspy. I have found the bigger the pipe, the deeper the rumble, the smaller the more raspy, tin can, ricer sounding.
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwinning View Post
Stainless works is anything but Raspy.
+1

Tube diameter does have an impact on over all sound but muffler design has a lot to do with sound quality, volume, and drone as well. Here are a couple of videos to compare. Below is a video we shot this weekend of the 3 inch Stainless Works Retro Chambered. It has a nice deep tone with zero drone.

Here is a video we shot a few weeks ago of the 2.5 inch Borla ATAK.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 08-10-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwinning View Post
Stainless works is anything but Raspy. I have found the bigger the pipe, the deeper the rumble, the smaller the more raspy, tin can, ricer sounding.

I was looking at both the ATAK system and the SW retro chambered system and I ended up with SW because there was no rasp from what I heard and from the ATAK videos I listened to there was rasp every time. SW has a really nice, deep, muscle car tone to it with no rasp.
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I think that anything that frees up the flow of exhaust will increase it's volume respectively. 3" should be louder than 2.5" if all parts are the same. If the muffler is raspy, you'll hear more rasp at 3".
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
My neighbours woke up one morning when I idled into my driveway at 1am.... I've got the 3" flowmaster american thunder. The sound sure does carry.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Cruzin SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Conv.
I have Stainless Works Retro 3" cat back system love deep tone at start up and no drone at any speed 2011 SS auto trans Perfect!
Cruzin SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I've got JBA's 3" exhaust and let's just say the sound carries. I park in an underground garage and whenever I start her up a car alarm goes off (usually more than one)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I must have had the SW mixed up with something else. Apex Chase's video is probably one of the first I've seen where the camera isn't on the ground directly under the tips or the car isn't flying by at WOT. Based on that one the SW Retro actually sounds pretty reasonable.
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I've got JBA's 3" exhaust and let's just say the sound carries. I park in an underground garage and whenever I start her up a car alarm goes off (usually more than one)
That is soo cool.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
+1

Tube diameter does have an impact on over all sound but muffler design has a lot to do with sound quality, volume, and drone as well. Here are a couple of videos to compare. Below is a video we shot this weekend of the 3 inch Stainless Works Retro Chambered. It has a nice deep tone with zero drone.

Here is a video we shot a few weeks ago of the 2.5 inch Borla ATAK.

What happen to the first video?

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I wouldn't worry about tube diameter so much. A 2.5" systems are plenty loud, don't forget your exhaust would have more velocity through a smaller tube. This can make things raspy and loud! But that isn't really the case on a stock motor. For you, I would recomend hearing some cars before you buy anything. If you're condo is going to be an issue for volume, you might want to hear some things first hand.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote