Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
G.E.

Drives: black on black twenty ten ss/rs
My first car and new to car washing and I am having trouble with water spots.

How on earth are you suppose to prevent water spots... its like impossible to dry up all the water... I have a chamois, and the water seems to dry before I can wipe it away. Also the places I do wipe have water lines and such. Any tips?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Follow right behind your chamois with a nice polishing towel.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
cwalms

Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
California water blades work great. I usually follow with a microfiber or cotton towel. Also make sure you don't wash in direct sunlight.
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
the one
Failure is not an option

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Water spots occur for a couple of reasons based on my own experience. I have own over 15 muscle cars and detailed them all myself for cars show.

Number one rule...NEVER WASH A CAR WHEN THE METAL HAS BEEN IN THE SUN. Let it cool off later in the day. Number two, spots occur because of calcium deposits/minerals in the water. For example where I live, we have very "hard" water. Most residents where I live have a water softener systems that reduces the amount of calcium and other minerals by means of salt. If I used my hard water, I would have spots for days!

What color is your car? darker colors tend to show spots worse than others, black, blue red etc. White and silver don't show that much.

This is what I would do. Wash your car when its nice and cool and out of direct sunlight. (under direct sunlight is actually the worst time to wash your car) Use a car specific soap LIKE Mothers or Meguiras. Never use dish soap!

Then use a name brand wax (I use Meguiars gold class myself) to protect against further spotting. Remember a good wax puts a protective barrier on the paint.

If you have stubborn spots now, go to a automotive paint shop and they have a product that will remove them>(I can't remember what it's called) But it has a mild abrasive in it like a very ultra fine grit sand paper (4000-6000) and it will remove the spots with damaging the surface. When I was restoring old cars with decent paint, but faded and spotty, I used 4000 grit sand paper and 3m buffing compound, and its amazing what you can do! Of course if you have never "wet sanded" a car before, it does not seem right, but its how detail guys buff out new paint jobs to get that deep shine and remove imperfections from the paint.

I know I rambled on, but hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Here ya go

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=60
Old 10-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Water spots are created by hard water, period. If you buy a deionizer, and final rinse with it, no problem. Here is a link to one I own.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
California water blades work great. I usually follow with a microfiber or cotton towel. Also make sure you don't wash in direct sunlight.
I wouldn't use one of those blades, had one and it scratches the surface when grit sticks to it. Someone posted a video to test some washing methods and the water blade did the worst damage.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Have not used a chamois in years. Use a towel called "The Absorber". Can find it at most shops or even Walmart. Never try to wash and dry in sunlight. If you have to atleast put it in the shade. I have to use well water and installed a water softner as soon as a bought house to cut down the minerals in the water. Water spots are not an issue. Oh, an extra set of hands from a spouse, girlfriend, or son helps greatly.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnywstr View Post
I wouldn't use one of those blades, had one and it scratches the surface when grit sticks to it. Someone posted a video to test some washing methods and the water blade did the worst damage.
Yep! I had posted that vid. Anyone interested can just search under my threads posted to easily find it
Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
that mr clean wash system works great for that i used to have it but u will have to buy filters occasionally, during the rinse it filters the water and makes it come out very fine and leaves no spots it does work perfectly

Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
that mr clean wash system works great for that i used to have it but u will have to buy filters occasionally, during the rinse it filters the water and makes it come out very fine and leaves no spots it does work perfectly

That's what I use. Its great. In the summer when the air is dry I can wash my car, then rinse, go inside for a break for 15min and come back out to a nearly dry spot free car.

Normally I rinse then dab an "Absorber" on the surface to pick up the water. I never drag a chamois across the paint. I use an old air compressor to blow hidden water from places like around tailights, under spoilers, and inside rear view mirror consols.

Then follow up with wax detail or quick detailer if I waxed soon enough before.

2 points to Mr. Clean car care system.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
cwalms

Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnywstr View Post
I didn't know that. I guess I'll be putting my blade in file 13. I've never had any problems with it in the past, but I don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the info.
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
dannkimmel

Drives: 1lt,rjt,m6 &2004 harley
mr clean works great,
if you dont want to buy the mr clean detergant they say
you must use. wash with somthing elese and rinse with mr clean.
it is a water deionizer.this is waht i do on my black motorcycle.
1/2 way to purchase saved cant wait to order 1lt.
dannkimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
I didn't know that. I guess I'll be putting my blade in file 13. I've never had any problems with it in the past, but I don't want to take any chances. Thanks for the info.
No problem, you should check out the video glimmerglass posted on another thread, eye opening it was.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote