Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
If it comes they have to call it something. What's left? It would create a big buzz just before th next big buzz, Gen 6. Brilliant, really.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
If it comes they have to call it something. What's left? It would create a big buzz just before th next big buzz, Gen 6. Brilliant, really.
Exactly! And you're right what else would you call a 1LE with an LS7 and ZL1 brakes? A Z28 of course!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Aintgonnahappen.....LOL.....till the next Gen, drop the ZL1 because there will be no LSA to stick in it, no 7.OL on the horizon, come on guys, think? Where's the motor selection? Now ponder this, keep the Z/28, and put the LT4 S/C in it? Who you wanna dance with ??? Wheres the motor selection to fit your bills? You wanna ZL1 and a Z/28, how is that gonna happen...motor wise... Like I said before, we are not gonna know anything until they announce what and if they will have a ZO6 and ZR1, and what the powerplants will be.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
That's the problem right there, lack of viable power plants that GM is willing to use outside of the Vette. The Vette will get its motors and the Camaro will get the scraps GM is willing to let fall off the Vette's plate. They will have the V6, base V8 and high performance V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
Because the Corvette is the halo car. It is their main performance car and main concern when it comes to high performance. If there was no Corvette, the Camaro would be treated like the Mustang. It would get what ever engine the designers could come up with.

GM is willing to throw in the towel when it comes to the Camaro. They already did once. They would do it again just as easily IMO.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Guess we will have to wait and see. I'm sticking to my position.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Aintgonnahappen.....LOL.....till the next Gen, drop the ZL1 because there will be no LSA to stick in it, no 7.OL on the horizon, come on guys, think? Where's the motor selection? Now ponder this, keep the Z/28, and put the LT4 S/C in it? Who you wanna dance with ??? Wheres the motor selection to fit your bills? You wanna ZL1 and a Z/28, how is that gonna happen...motor wise... Like I said before, we are not gonna know anything until they announce what and if they will have a ZO6 and ZR1, and what the powerplants will be.

That's the road block to the Z/28. If a S/C engine was acceptable in the Z/28 we would be driving an LSA powered Z/28. Even GM knows that wouldn't represent the Z/28 as it was in the first gen and renamed the car. Is the ZL1 an awesome machine? Yes, it is. Is it a Z/28? IMO, no it isn't. GM can't build 3 engines to power all the various performance cars across all its brands without pissing someone off. They can't build 20 different engines to power all the various cars. Either they build it and tell everyone to take it or leave it, or they drop some of the performance trim levels to make it work as best as possible.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...good insight Hobbs....
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
Because its GMs answer to all other performance cars from around the world. The Base corvette is a great performance car. the Z06 is even better, but when put up against the best cars in the world the Corvette still needed more. So they built the ZR1, to showcase what GM is capable of. Then that performance trickles down the GM pipeline into other models. GM wanted to be able to build a world beater in performance, what better car in the stable than the Corvette to do it with. Thats why the Corvette gets a ZR1 and Z06.

With all the LS7 talk out there, it does seem that a Z28 is possible in the 5th gen, But I don't see where it fits in with teh current gen 5 line up.

It has to be faster than the SS and 1LE around the track, but cant be faster than the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the top of the line ultimate Camaro, if the Z28 comes in cheaper, and offers better performance, more people would buy the Z28 than the ZL1
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #37
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Because its GMs answer to all other performance cars from around the world. The Base corvette is a great performance car. the Z06 is even better, but when put up against the best cars in the world the Corvette still needed more. So they built the ZR1, to showcase what GM is capable of. Then that performance trickles down the GM pipeline into other models. GM wanted to be able to build a world beater in performance, what better car in the stable than the Corvette to do it with. Thats why the Corvette gets a ZR1 and Z06.

With all the LS7 talk out there, it does seem that a Z28 is possible in the 5th gen, But I don't see where it fits in with teh current gen 5 line up.

It has to be faster than the SS and 1LE around the track, but cant be faster than the ZL1. The ZL1 is supposed to be the top of the line ultimate Camaro, if the Z28 comes in cheaper, and offers better performance, more people would buy the Z28 than the ZL1
The ZL1 would still be faster in a straight line but it would be similar to the Z06/ZR1 situation where the Z06 is about as fast as the ZR1 around a track.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The ZL1 would still be faster in a straight line but it would be similar to the Z06/ZR1 situation where the Z06 is about as fast as the ZR1 around a track.
Thats true too, didnt think about that. But theres a much larger price gap between a Z06 and ZR1 than there would be between a Z28 and Zl1.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #40
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Everyone my question was rhetorical. I understand why there are the various offerings of a Corvette. What I don't understand is "why" there shouldn't be a 5Gen Z28? No one has convinced me it is a bad financial or marketing move.
It isn't...and that is EXACTLY why it WILL appear...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
shaffe

Quote:
The only thing I could think of why it might not happen, is that in my personal opinion, it could come to close to the ZL1 in price and performance, aside from that it is a perfect marketing decision. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, plus keep interest in it before a 6th gen comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
It isn't...and that is EXACTLY why it WILL appear...
I didn't think it would appear, but after seeing the LS7 on the vin card I have to agree
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
Bhobbs

Quote:
Because GM has no reason to build the Z/28. The Camaro is selling well so why incur the costs of a new Z/28? I doubt GM cares if there is a Z/28 or not.