Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
NJ-JRS
C5

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Red accents on Black
Slow throttle response after CAI

Hey guys, I installed the roto fab Cai for my car the other day.

. First off, installation wasnt too bad.I did have to use a stock hose clamp though because they sent me 4 of the same size and one was supposed to be shorter (I tried all 4 on the piece connecting to the engine and all they all ran out of threading without even wrapping around the rotofab connector piece. Hopefully the wider hose clamp shouldn't affect anything).

Idouble checked everything and everything looked good.the problem now is that I have very slow throttle response. I step on the accelerator and the has major delay, and has to has to rev up before actually responding and accelerating. I can be cruising at 1200rpms and rev the engine up to about 2500-3000 real quick without really accelerating by pressing the pedal down halfway to full and letting go, since there's about a second hesitation before it gets going.

Any ideas what could be wrong? As an FYI, I did disonnect negative battery terminal during the install.
NJ-JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Did you try doing a fuse pull? Is the arrow on your MAF pointing towards the throttle body?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Disconnecting the negative terminal will reset the computer so that might help too
Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
NJ-JRS
C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Did you try doing a fuse pull? Is the arrow on your MAF pointing towards the throttle body?
Yes sensor is on correctly.

EDIT : just did a pull of #5 and #20. I think those are the only two needed? Ill update after putting them back in if it helped.

Any more tips in the mean time are appreciated as well.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by NJ-JRS; 09-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
When in doubt put your OEM stuff back on and see if the problem goes away, if the fuse full doesn't do anything for you. My theroy is if you change something and you have issues go back to what you had before. If the problem still shows up you need to get back to basic diagnostics. This could have been just fluke that happened when you changed it, not that you did anything wrong, not that the part is bad. Trust me I work as an Auto Tech and I see this happen all the time.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
NJ-JRS
C5

Ughh, fuse pull didn't help.

Is it possible that I have to drive the car a while to let it break in and adjust to the new intake? The throttle lag really is a pain because it makes the car feel weaker.

Any other ideas before I end up taking everything apart to re-install the stock intake??
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
Was there any packaging inside the air filter? I know that sounds kind of like "is it plugged in," but simple things first, you know.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
OHIO SPEED

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo
intake

it can take up to 100 miles or so to re-learn because of the intake change. mine did the same thing, that is of course it was installed properly.
OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
NJ-JRS
C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykeith View Post
Was there any packaging inside the air filter? I know that sounds kind of like "is it plugged in," but simple things first, you know.
There was, but I made sure to remove it. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate all suggestions/ideas at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIO SPEED 2010 View Post
it can take up to 100 miles or so to re-learn because of the intake change. mine did the same thing, that is of course it was installed properly.
Even if I did battery disconnect and fuse pull? I thought that re-learn over time/mileage was only if you installed without doing either of those options? Of course I may have been incorrect in my understanding of that.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
still needs a re-learn, the battery disconnect just keeps from getting CELs.
2010 2LT/RS; 6M, ABM, Torq Thrust M w/custom center caps, Solo MachX-LLT, Blue Anodized Pedals, Barton Shifter w/UMI blue anodized pistol grip, Ported IM from Mace, 25mm isolator/spacer from Mace, Vararam CAI, Euro Rear Fascia, RX Breather Cap. SOLD 4/23/13.

Now have a 1965 Chevelle 4 dr wagon!!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Prime

Drives: 2012 2LT
Post picks of your install man. Not that I think you messed it up
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Kevoscamaro

Drives: 2012 r/s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleez View Post
still needs a re-learn, the battery disconnect just keeps from getting CELs.

So a Cai will thro a code/cel??

I thought it would learn either way fuse/batt/or just keep drivn.

Cel whole other story. . I learnd the hard way.
Kevoscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'm the only person I've heard of that had a CEL after a cold air intake install (the superior CAI brand, however). I had to purchase a code reader to scare the thing into turning off...literally...I tried everything to get it to go away. When I went into Auto Zone, the light was still coming on and when I came out of A.Z. with the code reader in my hands, it was off and has never reappeared.

I have not previously heard of the original poster's issue, however. And I'm kidding about the "superior" brand thing.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
I recently installed a Vararam intake and Vmax PTB at the same time, and I was less than impressed at first - in fact the throttle response felt awful for a while. Yes, I disconnected the negative battery terminal before the install. After 50-70mi things were better. All I can say is give it time because mine now feels even better with 100+ mi on it. The "dead-spot" is still there, but perhaps just a bit less so than stock. Not a huge difference IMO, but YMMV...