Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
Tell him to take his happy little *** down to Thunder Valley and walk the talk. If he's auto 4.0 he won't break 14's, probably mid-high 15's @ 90-93 all things considered.

-Hey I think I saw your Camaro at 4th and telephone a while back ? I have had my 2012 rental 1LT V6 Camaro for a month now.....
Mine can be recognized by the tinted side markers and the smaller halo's. That and I drive like an old lady. I was probably doing errand's that day since I work at the airport. How are you liking the rental?

That guy won't race, he said it costs too much. His wife (who is the only money maker, he won't work because he owes back child-support on 2 kids) gets paid on every other Thursday and they are broke by Sunday. He is just one of those types that talks crap but can't back it up. His transmission also makes a noise like a gear being stripped every time he puts into drive.

Sunday looks like it will be a good day at the track. High in the mid 60's, 5-15 mph winds from the north. Hopefully we get some good times.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #72
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Sunday looks like it will be a good day at the track. High in the mid 60's, 5-15 mph winds from the north. Hopefully we get some good times.
You're right, Sunday should be great weather for the track. Even if the track prep isn't the greatest, the DA will be tremendously better than during the heat of summer.
Wish I could go out to the track one last time before they close up for the winter. But I can't take my new car without getting a helmet first
I still would have been interested in seeing what I could have done in my v6 with colder air.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #73
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
You're right, Sunday should be great weather for the track. Even if the track prep isn't the greatest, the DA will be tremendously better than during the heat of summer.
Wish I could go out to the track one last time before they close up for the winter. But I can't take my new car without getting a helmet first
I still would have been interested in seeing what I could have done in my v6 with colder air.
I brought my helmet last time I went but they never even asked for it. If you want to come out Sun and they do make us wear them I will let you borrow mine.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #74
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Tell him to take his happy little *** down to Thunder Valley and walk the talk. If he's auto 4.0 he won't break 14's, probably mid-high 15's @ 90-93 all things considered.

-Hey I think I saw your Camaro at 4th and telephone a while back ? I have had my 2012 rental 1LT V6 Camaro for a month now.....
Bolt on 4.0 can go 14s... Friend went 13.89 in his 4.0, with just bolt-on and no power adder... and some weight reduction... LOL!

But buy the description of the neighbor, i'm guessing your right with the 15... LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #75
MagnumForceGB

Might have a few friends along with us. One will be driving a yellow Pontiac Solstice GXP I believe and he will be taking pictures. The other might race his motorcycle, but need to see if he is busy on Sunday. We might also try to learn how to clean our tires with a quick burnout, depends on how busy the track is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Bolt on 4.0 can go 14s... Friend went 13.89 in his 4.0, with just bolt-on and no power adder... and some weight reduction... LOL!

But buy the description of the neighbor, i'm guessing your right with the 15... LOL
This guy also buys the cheapest tires and would probably just sit there and spin his tires thinking he is cool. He also has a F150 that he put Roush badges on and tells everybody that he has a Roush truck (its a 2005 with an airaid CAI, thats it). It would be pretty funny if he didn't sit there and talk crap about me and my wife all the time, especially to any neighbor that will listen to him. Talk to him and you would find out that everything you know about cars is completely wrong, only his knowledge is right.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #76
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

Lol the DA at Thunder Valley is typically over 2500... The prepping is not very good, the waterbox is unavoidable at the track too. A bolt on 3v 4.6 2010 MY was struggling to break into 13.999 a few weekks ago. BUT, the DA is getting better the closer we get to winter. Haha yeah, it's an auto that sounds abused by the way he described!

-What do you consider "weight reduction" ? Lol
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #77
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Lol the DA at Thunder Valley is typically over 2500... The prepping is not very good, the waterbox is unavoidable at the track too. A bolt on 3v 4.6 2010 MY was struggling to break into 13.999 a few weekks ago. BUT, the DA is getting better the closer we get to winter. Haha yeah, it's an auto that sounds abused by the way he described!

Just curious, but in normal temps is that the typical DA? I'm guessing elevation is killing you guys or what?

In decent temps what do stock SS or GTs run ther?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #78
MagnumForceGB

Quote:

Abused auto might be accurate. He was watching me doing an oil change on my Camaro and saw that I put 6 quarts of oil in. He figured that since his 4.0 was bigger then my 3.7 that he needed 6 quarts of oil also. He changed his oil himself and pour 6 quarts of oil right in without reading the manual or checking the dipstick after the first 5 quarts. He took it to the dealership to get fixed.

That was before I stopped talking to him, he was over in my garage talking about the things he didn't like about the new Mustangs and about how his was faster. I asked him if he ever dyno'd and he said he did at 322 RWHP. I yelled "bull$*#@" right there. Never talks around me any more after that, especially since I called him out in front of others.

I should just race him in my Mazda 3s with its mighty 2.5L engine that I put a K&N intake on. I also have this sticker on it:

Sorry scrming, I had to get one like yours, I thought it looked awesome. I figured if it could get your Flex down to the 12 second range, my Mazda can do 11 seconds with that sticker. I am an Air Force vet, so I go with the jet bombing the little family while giving the peace sign.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #79
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
How are you liking the rental?
I liked it except.... The suspension felt unrefined(it was softer but you could feel the bumps more, hard to describe; the G feels more nose heavy, but lighter and quicker responses to steering input), gearing far far too high(I never got out of 2nd gear merging onto highway without speeding too much). I felt like it was slow for 323 hp, but then I got a G37 loaner auto today and it feels slow too(same speed). What is going on ? Haha... The Camaro's powerband felt like a Honda J series V6, in terms of the linearity of the powerband. The exhaust seems a bit obnoxious and almost sounds aftermarket, but it's not a "bad sound" per say. The sun visors are.... pretty pathetic haha, and the 36 presets for am/fm was just a tad overkill. Good car, just small gripes here and there!

Random notes:
-They should have a blind spot monitoring system for these cars on the highway.
-The headroom is excellent(of course the rental had no sunroof), as opposed to what I have read.
-I like the new steering wheel for 2012.
-Afer driving it, I think a good set of 3.73's/4.10's/4.56's or whatever is out there would make such a huge difference over any other breather(I/E) modifications.... The main slowdown in the auto's(at least) is the fuel economy gearing.
-The cupholders receive a score of 8/10, big enough for two big gulps.... but just barely.
-I liked driving with the foglights on during the day, looks 10x better with them on.
-Every ricer with a fart can revved at me.
-I received numerous compliments on it despite it being a mid level Non-RS V6 model.
-They should put a dual throttle body/intake system on it like the VQ engines from Infiniti, would help with throttle response and be relatively inexpensive.
-Very quiet and stable on the highway.
-I always got "that look" from Mustang owners, many GT owners would rev at me.

Last edited by 08-G35s/6MT; 11-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #80
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:

(yes, there is an EXTRA passenger seat in the picture)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #81
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
I also have this sticker on it:

Sorry scrming, I had to get one like yours, I thought it looked awesome. I figured if it could get your Flex down to the 12 second range, my Mazda can do 11 seconds with that sticker. I am an Air Force vet, so I go with the jet bombing the little family while giving the peace sign.
LOVE IT!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #82
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
I liked it except.... The suspension felt unrefined(it was softer but you could feel the bumps more, hard to describe; the G feels more nose heavy, but lighter and quicker responses to steering input), gearing far far too high(I never got out of 2nd gear merging onto highway without speeding too much). I felt like it was slow for 323 hp, but then I got a G37 loaner auto today and it feels slow too(same speed). What is going on ? Haha... The Camaro's powerband felt like a Honda J series V6, in terms of the linearity of the powerband. The exhaust seems a bit obnoxious and almost sounds aftermarket, but it's not a "bad sound" per say. The sun visors are.... pretty pathetic haha, and the 36 presets for am/fm was just a tad overkill. Good car, just small gripes here and there!

Random notes:
-They should have a blind spot monitoring system for these cars on the highway.
-The headroom is excellent(of course the rental had no sunroof), as opposed to what I have read.
-I like the new steering wheel for 2012.
-Afer driving it, I think a good set of 3.73's/4.10's/4.56's or whatever is out there would make such a huge difference over any other breather(I/E) modifications.... The main slowdown in the auto's(at least) is the fuel economy gearing.
-The cupholders receive a score of 8/10, big enough for two big gulps.... but just barely.
-I liked driving with the foglights on during the day, looks 10x better with them on.
-Every ricer with a fart can revved at me.
-I received numerous compliments on it despite it being a mid level Non-RS V6 model.
-They should put a dual throttle body/intake system on it like the VQ engines from Infiniti, would help with throttle response and be relatively inexpensive.
-Very quiet and stable on the highway.
-I always got "that look" from Mustang owners, many GT owners would rev at me.
Not that bolt ons will turn a V6 into a V8 killing monster or anything like that....but installing just two or three aftermarket mods (intake, ported TB, intake spacer) will change the feel of the car for the better. Snappier response and more pull through the low and midrange.

It doesn't take much. Now if only the car were about 300+ lbs lighter as well that would change the ballgame completely.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #83
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I brought my helmet last time I went but they never even asked for it. If you want to come out Sun and they do make us wear them I will let you borrow mine.
Appreciate the offer, but I will be heading out to the Thunder Valley next Sunday. Decided to get the "honey-do list" done this weekend. I'm also going to be trying to see if I can try some helmets on to get the right size.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #84
MagnumForceGB

Went to the drag strip today and my wife had a good day. The track seemed like it gripped better but I still can't get a good 60' foot time. We might be going back on Friday or Sunday and keep practicing to get better. Did have fun though, our friend took some good pictures. Have to wait till he can send them to me before I can post them.

I did teach my wife how to launch better. I red-lighted once and I got too conservative on my reaction time after that.

Wife is #841, I am #842. The first launch I was spinning like crazy, it got to the point where the computer cut power. After that I eased into it more, but think I can hit it harder. Have to keep practicing to find that sweet spot.

The 3rd run was where I wish I had a video of it. We were neck and neck that one.
Attached Images