Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

Drives: 2010 2LT
My Grand Am has a demon, help please!!

My 95' Grand Am has a demon and I'm in need of any ideas!!!

Basically, it's been stalling at red lights, not alot or frequent though. One day out of no where. It seems like it does it particularly when it's a harder-than-normal stop-which is like what the hell?. It's running fine otherwise. It starts right back up with again, no other issues.

Tonight it did it again...again at a hard stop, but it didn't stall, just felt like it was going to. My dad replaced spark plugs yesterday, which they desperately needed. But he's scratching his head at this one.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I'm starting to swear at her alot, and she has to get me through the winter Lol!

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)

Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Find your Crank Sensor, make sure there is a plastic Shroud/Shield wrapped around the wire.

If your Grand AM is like my Cutlass the Sensor is Magnetic and sends a Magnetic signal to your computer. Which can be interupted by the wire making contract with Hot engine parts stalling the Car. The Shroud prevents the wire from getting too Hot.

At least thats what was stalling my Cutlass on Hard Turns. Put a Shroud on it and it fixed the problem.

Good Luck.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Dragon2U

Drives: Waiting
How many miles does it have? How long many have you put on?

If it has high miles I am swaying towards checking the catalytic converter for proper operation or possibly something fuel related.

1. Have you every cleaned the injectors? If the car runs a little rough normally you might want to try some Techron injector cleaner.

2. Ever change the fuel pump or filter? Fuel pressure is an easy check.

3. If the above seem okay you might want to check the exhaust pressure to make sure the system is operating correctly. If the catalytic converter is clogging up you will loose power, possibly this is an early sign.

4. Idle Air Control is an easy check as well. If it's dirty or worn it causes similar issues.

Make sure you let us know what it was and Good Luck!!
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

It has 177,000 miles. I've had the car 7 years...we keep up on maintenance things regularly. The only thing we've really had to fix that was major was the radiator. My dad was next leaning towards fuel pump I think. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the ideas!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
It could virtually be almost anything. We would need a more detailed description. It could be the engine going, could be the starter, the battery, ect...

Now, when it hasn't stalled, but it feels like it, what does the car do? specifically. Does the rpms vary? like...one second they are around 1k, and then the next minute around 3k and then down to under 1k? Does it feel like it is almost surging? or stuttering like it is almost out of gas?
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

It's hard to explain. Like I said, sometimes it just no warning stalls. When it doesn't, but feels like it, I guess it's kinda like a vibration in the car, and the lights dimmed a few times. Does that help?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

The weirdest part of it is that it specifically does it more at a hard stop...that has to be significant somehow I'm assuming??
Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMarie2LT View Post
The weirdest part of it is that it specifically does it more at a hard stop...that has to be significant somehow I'm assuming??
Not necessarily. It sounds like it could either be the battery or starter. You should take the car up to autozone or somewhere's and have them check to see if your battery is going bad.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

That's the problem, it could be 101 things! lol
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMarie2LT View Post
That's the problem, it could be 101 things! lol
Lol, well, you can eliminate things one by one. Trust me, I have been there, done that myself lol. If ya want, I can ask my father if he has ever worked on a car that had that same issue. He has 30+ years of experience working on cars.

On a side note, don't forget, you're a nurse...it makes it all better lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

Yes, please ask. My dad has lots of car experience, as well. He's even scratching his head at this one.

I wish nursing would help me here, the only thing it helps with is thinking of mechanics lol the body is much a mechanical machine, too. lol.

Maybe I'll move on to the magic 8 ball next...it may have some good eliminations lmao =)
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
I'd bet your torque converter lock up solenoid is bad, I see it all the time. Have your dad unplug it and see if your problem goes away. You can drive it this way safely to test it without causing any other issues.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
Rcamaro
drive hard

Drives: 2nd Gen Camaro
hmm could be the alternator.... When it stalls at random do the lights go off too? check the alt. also your dad might be right about the fuel pump ... maybe check the fuel filter also to see if it might be somewhat clogged. sounds like something simple its just a matter of tracking it down

did your dad plug in a scanner, is it throwing any codes?

good luck, hope you find the problem soon
Rcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Have you tried GrandAmOwnersClub.com and GrandAmGT.com? Those forums are a little better to answer such questions. They helped me get rid of the constant ticking from my dash and the squeak in the front suspension.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote