Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #57
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Looks like they have some chassis twist going on, They need to stiffen up I think the camaro is stiffer.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #58
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
I think the competition is good. I'm pretty impressed that they were able to get that power out of the 5.0. Cubic Inches per HP is definitely advantage to the 5.0 and it's lighter so overall I think Ford did a good job. I still like the looks of my Camaro more and since you never know what mods or skills the driver next to you has, don't ever expect that you can beat them. I learned from my dragracing days that no matter how much money or parts you put on your car, there's always gonna be someone with more money, better parts, or more skills.
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #59
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
600 horsepower and 560 lb-ft of torque out of the 8.4-liter V10.

Dodge needs to build this car!
I have a feeling that the combo of them pulling the Viper AND the Z-28 probably coming out late in 2011 means they will produce it to compete with the GT500 and the Z-28
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #60
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
Well since the SRT8 already costs around $43K, the SRT10 would be near $60k the way Dodge prices things. To me that's just too much.
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #61
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
updated to 11.82 apparently.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Evolut...c/262882950647

it says they picked up 42whp from bolt on's
Yeah they did the math wrong. They dynoed stock at 368. Now they have 405. That=37hp.

I wonder how much more they will get from full length headers and an aftermarket CAI? Considering the CAI is a performance design and also the stock manifolds look pretty decent.

I wonder if it will make over 420rwp full bolt on?

I am still waiting for h/c numbers. None of these #'s so far are very surprising.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #62
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
These new engines are far from being maxed out, Evolution Performance gained right at 40 RWHP with O/R X-pipe catback exhaust K&N drop in filter and tune.
If this is true then Ford either left alot of tune on the table(which I highly doubt) or they used race gas and bumped the timing way out there. The no cats x pipe and cat back along with the filter is good for MAYBE 10hp and thats being generous. So that means they gained 30hp from the tune . I used to own a 08 GT and if its 1 thing I learned its the real world gains are nothing like whats claimed. I am in no way a fanboy of either as I love both but have always thought Ford was a bunch of Idiots with their motors. They have the resources and technology to build effecient and powerfull motors but they limit them selves to displacement like its a NASCAR rule or something. They could have easily put a NA 5.4 in the mustang with the same exact design, block, heads, as the GT500 and not have spent so much resources on the new 5.0. A high compression 5.4 DOHC would have easily exceded thier goals of beating the SS. That motor would have plenty of room to grow too. Ford also built a 6.2 SOHC motor that makes 500hp that they could have used. Yes , Dodge could have easily put the 6.1 in the RT with it being the same price and put the V10 in the SRT for 10k more. Gm could have easily already built the Z28 as its on the same platform as the CTS-V. This would have made the playing field equal but hey its not a perfect world I guess. Those of you thinking the 550hp Z28 will match or beat the 2011 GT500 are in dream world though. Ford just shaved 100lbs off the nose of that car and have 550hp themselves. Unless Gm figuers out how to shave 200lbs from the car or gain 30hp they will be embarrased. The fact that Ford spent so much R and D in the 5.0 Coyote and to have it fall short or right on par with the SS is truely funny to me when they clearly sent out to destroy the new SS. Make no mistake that was thier clear goal. Aftermarket mechanical engineers have looked at the new motor, tipped their hat and said great job. After the ass kissing was done they go on to say "what were you thinking". They said that motor has very little room to grow without being FI'd. I guess Ford never heard the statement "there is no replacement for displacement" because they continue to take a back seat in terms of power as they always have. It does make me sick because I love all muscle cars and when 1 ups the other, the other comes back with something better usually. Gm might not make any improvements now that they have seen what the new 5.0 can do. just my 2 cents as its late and im back from being out, sorry for the rant.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #63
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
wait to see if you are quicker than one stock v stock then mod as required.
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #64
Unfair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
If this is true then Ford either left alot of tune on the table(which I highly doubt) or they used race gas and bumped the timing way out there. The no cats x pipe and cat back along with the filter is good for MAYBE 10hp and thats being generous. So that means they gained 30hp from the tune . I used to own a 08 GT and if its 1 thing I learned its the real world gains are nothing like whats claimed. I am in no way a fanboy of either as I love both but have always thought Ford was a bunch of Idiots with their motors. They have the resources and technology to build effecient and powerfull motors but they limit them selves to displacement like its a NASCAR rule or something. They could have easily put a NA 5.4 in the mustang with the same exact design, block, heads, as the GT500 and not have spent so much resources on the new 5.0. A high compression 5.4 DOHC would have easily exceded thier goals of beating the SS. That motor would have plenty of room to grow too. Ford also built a 6.2 SOHC motor that makes 500hp that they could have used. Yes , Dodge could have easily put the 6.1 in the RT with it being the same price and put the V10 in the SRT for 10k more. Gm could have easily already built the Z28 as its on the same platform as the CTS-V. This would have made the playing field equal but hey its not a perfect world I guess. Those of you thinking the 550hp Z28 will match or beat the 2011 GT500 are in dream world though. Ford just shaved 100lbs off the nose of that car and have 550hp themselves. Unless Gm figuers out how to shave 200lbs from the car or gain 30hp they will be embarrased. The fact that Ford spent so much R and D in the 5.0 Coyote and to have it fall short or right on par with the SS is truely funny to me when they clearly sent out to destroy the new SS. Make no mistake that was thier clear goal. Aftermarket mechanical engineers have looked at the new motor, tipped their hat and said great job. After the ass kissing was done they go on to say "what were you thinking". They said that motor has very little room to grow without being FI'd. I guess Ford never heard the statement "there is no replacement for displacement" because they continue to take a back seat in terms of power as they always have. It does make me sick because I love all muscle cars and when 1 ups the other, the other comes back with something better usually. Gm might not make any improvements now that they have seen what the new 5.0 can do. just my 2 cents as its late and im back from being out, sorry for the rant.
Maybe they are more concerned with new technology than the horsepower wars and don't feel the need to throw a huge engine in a car and call it a day?

There might not be a replacement for displacement, but there is a replacement for ancient
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #65
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Screw all the dumb sh*t about beating 2011 GT's and GT500's. When it all comes down to it, the more money u have the faster ur car can go. Ive seen a Javalin at my local track run 7.45's in the 1/4 mile. If u wanna beat all mustangs & Fords period u should have bought a C6 Corvette Z06 and added a 150 horse nitrous kit. C6 Z's are very hard to beat from a roll straight out the factory and almost impossible with a cam, full exhaust, cai, tune and spray.

It's not about beating the next guy just build ur car for u and have fun bro, there's always someone faster with more money around the corner
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #66
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS Steve View Post
pullin the wheels!!
You mean WHEEL

This would be WHEELS.
Attached Images

JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #67
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
Maybe they are more concerned with new technology than the horsepower wars and don't feel the need to throw a huge engine in a car and call it a day?

There might not be a replacement for displacement, but there is a replacement for ancient
This is a dumb argument, just because something has more parts does not make it better or "new technology". Actually, typically an engineer tries to design around the fewest number of parts possible, as there is less to go wrong. An OHC setup does have advantages, but it also has disadvantages, so it is not better or newer than a pushrod design. It is just a different way to open the valves with its own benefits and drawbacks, just like any design.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #68
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
This is a dumb argument, just because something has more parts does not make it better or "new technology". Actually, typically an engineer tries to design around the fewest number of parts possible, as there is less to go wrong. An OHC setup does have advantages, but it also has disadvantages, so it is not better or newer than a pushrod design. It is just a different way to open the valves with its own benefits and drawbacks, just like any design.
No need to justify yourself...you're dealing with a closet troll, lol.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #69
Unfair
Banned

^could have added way more to the thread.

technology is a good thing is all I am saying.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #70
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
JUST MOVE TO ANOTHER STATE .