Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
bee1100

Drives: Yellow, Bumblebee V6 moded
wanting new exhaust but have a question

i have after market mufflers but i am wanting a full cat-back system, does anybody know the size of the stock piping? im getting the magnaflow x-pipe but i want bigger piping if it will make it sound better
bee1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
It's debatable. Sometimes you'll hear 2.5" all the way through, others say it's 2.5" to the H pipe and then 2.25" for the rest. It's hard to say because they're quite close. Full 2.5" will sound better though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
bee1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
It's debatable. Sometimes you'll hear 2.5" all the way through, others say it's 2.5" to the H pipe and then 2.25" for the rest. It's hard to say because they're quite close. Full 2.5" will sound better though.

i was thinking about going 3" or 3.5" what do you think?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
wanting new exhaust but have a question

The x pipe will tone down rasp if you have any
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
bee1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
V6 or V8?

v6
Old 06-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
stock pipe is 2.25 inches. bigger pipe might give a deeper tone but can have negative impact on performance depending on what mufflers you are going with. i added the magnaflow x-pipe and did a muffler delete, used stock mid pipes and had a shop custom make pipes for where mufflers were.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
When I had my V6, it was frustrating to try and get a good sound out of it. A friend of mine has gotten his pretty nice but that would involve long tube headers, high flow cats, and resonated x pipe. Which would involve a tune as well. To do all that strictly for sound is pretty expensive. What is it exactly that you're hearing now that you don't like?
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
bee1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
When I had my V6, it was frustrating to try and get a good sound out of it. A friend of mine has gotten his pretty nice but that would involve long tube headers, high flow cats, and resonated x pipe. Which would involve a tune as well. To do all that strictly for sound is pretty expensive. What is it exactly that you're hearing now that you don't like?

i have a cherry bomb extreme axle-back with quad tips and all i hear is drone, i love the sound at WOT but i hate the drone so i was going to buy the x-pipe and then put on 3" piping all the way back and see what it sounded like
Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1100 View Post
i was thinking about going 3" or 3.5" what do you think?
I did 2.5" resonated x in place of the stock H and then put 3" pipes back to magnaflow round mufflers and quad tips... If you do 2.5" pipes you'll keep your power for sure. My set up is specifically for boost but I and others will say we probably didn't lose any power. However, a full 3" catback (or 3.5" looool... naturally aspirated man, not some GTR on 20# of boost) will definitely lose some power compared to 2.5".

Do you have a 2010/11 or 12+?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
the resonated x-pipe will kill the drone. i would not go larger then 2.5 inch pipe, maybe 2.75 tops.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
bee1100

Quote:
I did 2.5" resonated x in place of the stock H and then put 3" pipes back to magnaflow round mufflers and quad tips... If you do 2.5" pipes you'll keep your power for sure. My set up is specifically for boost but I and others will say we probably didn't lose any power. However, a full 3" catback (or 3.5" looool... naturally aspirated man, not some GTR on 20# of boost) will definitely lose some power compared to 2.5".

Do you have a 2010/11 or 12+?

2012 with the LFX
Old 06-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
DSX_Camaro

Do you still have the stock pipes from the H to your mufflers? That could definitely be part of it. The resonated x will remove any rasp and make the tone a bit lower but it will probably make it quieter too. That, and cherry bombs aren't exactly mufflers.

If you wanted a quick fix to kill the drone without changing the sound, just invest in Helmholtz pipes. Google or search the forums - they've helped many people.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
bee1100

Quote:
Do you still have the stock pipes from the H to your mufflers? That could definitely be part of it. The resonated x will remove any rasp and make the tone a bit lower but it will probably make it quieter too. That, and cherry bombs aren't exactly mufflers.

If you wanted a quick fix to kill the drone without changing the sound, just invest in Helmholtz pipes. Google or search the forums - they've helped many people.

exhaust is completely stock except for the cherry bombs and quad tips
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
DSX_Camaro

The resonated x may do what you want then - doing 2.5" pipes from the x to the cherry bombs would probably help too. Personally, I cannot suggest doing 3" pipes unless you are going to do some kind of forced induction.