Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #43
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
I think GM needs to focus on vehicles that will sell to the masses just the way Ford did with the Focus, Fusion and now Taurus. Ford is now making profits and GM is firing CEO's and is running on tax payers money...

They have the Camaro and the Corvette as performance vehicles, not to mention the CTS-V for luxury sports...

Now they need to make cars that make money like the Civic's, Camry's, Corolla's, Jetta's etc... say what you will about these cars, but they sell and make their respectable companies money...

I love the Corvette and Camaro, but personally would buy a Japanese or German car before touching a Malibu, Impala, HHR or Aveo... those cars just dont have the build quality that their competitors have and their interiors just look dull!
I agree that GM needs to focus on core vehicles, but the Malibu already is a very good car. The HHR will be replaced with the Chevy Orlando, which looks to be a very good vehicle. The Aveo is getting completely redesigned as will be the Impala. GM needs to develop a new small truck to replace the current Canyon/Colorado truck...hopefully it will look something like the truck recently featured on thelab.gmblogs.com.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #44
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
Quote:
Now they need to make cars that make money like the Civic's, Camry's, Corolla's, Jetta's etc... say what you will about these cars, but they sell and make their respectable companies money...
Why do you believe a killer Camaro wouldn't make GM money?

It's actually easier to make money from performance/niche vehicles than it is from small cars.
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #45
karr1008
Supercharging

Drives: 20XX Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Go View Post

It's actually easier to make money from performance/niche vehicles than it is from small cars.
Because very few would be able to afford them. Not to mention the crisis that it is still going on and with unemployment rates increasing every day...
Small budget, very well done quality cars is what GM needs to be doing.
Ford has their new Focus for example... let's be honest people, take a look, sit in them and then compare. They are very nice compared to GM counterparts.

GM, Sounds to me that the bleeding must stop before it gets gangrene... anyways, an indebted company should payoff their bills first before they go out and spend again. JMHO.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
For GM to deny themselves the profit and brand excitement that would come from designing, building, and selling a Killer Camaro would be unequivically stupid.

Not to mention that the profit made from selling "gotta have" cars and trucks goes towards operating the rest of the business - including doing all the mandatory regulatory stuff (including making and selling cars at a loss to meet CAFE standards, etc...).

Profit from the Camaro and Corvette funds other important (though perhaps less exciting) vehicles. Also, leading edge technology that goes into these types of vehicles often makes it way through to the lower end vehicles over time - so there is long term value in pushing the envelope.

Of course, if the business case doesn't add up - don't build it.

There's plenty of "go-juice" and street cred in the existing Camaro line-up - you don't HAVE to have a Killer Camaro for the Camaro project to be considered a success.

Last edited by Easy Go; 12-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I think GM needs to focus on vehicles that will sell to the masses just the way Ford did with the Focus, Fusion and now Taurus. Ford is now making profits and GM is firing CEO's and is running on tax payers money...

They have the Camaro and the Corvette as performance vehicles, not to mention the CTS-V for luxury sports...

I love the Corvette and Camaro, but personally would buy a Japanese or German car before touching a Malibu, Impala, HHR or Aveo... those cars just dont have the build quality that their competitors have and their interiors just look dull!
I won't touch the HHR or Aveo because they are both due for replacement very soon. The Impala is the best selling car that GM makes in North America. Whatever its interior deficiencies are, they have been made up for elsewhere.

The one car I do take issue with is the Malibu. Its is a very good car, generally regarded as being better than the Camry or Accord. In de-badging experiments (removing all nameplates and badging from competing vehicles) average individuals have consistently placed it at the top. It has won awards for its build quality and interior ... looks are always subjective but do you honestly think this:

is better than this?

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Heh...It's off, it's on, it's off...it's on. Now it's off again (supposedly).

It couldn't have made it for a couple years anyways...they'll restart and cancel it a few more times before then....

fwiw, I don't believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
looks are always subjective but do you honestly think this:

is better than this?
Careful...the symbol on the steering wheel tends to brainwash people....
Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #49
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
slp needs to take this under their wing i think. just like they did with the ss in the 4th gen. give them the cars and have them turn it into a z28 so people can finally be happy. because we all know everyone is scared to do their own version of a z28!
Im not scared.....I love my car.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #50
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Go View Post

What's with this love of Z-28 which really.... come on.... all GM had to do instead of tacking on the SS to the 6.2 liter was to make it the Z-28 and y'all would have gobbled it up...... the SS happens to be the hot , power munger Camaro !! It just didn't get the Z insignia! In the next two weeks I am going to spend = about $7000 and drop the TVS 2300 supercharger into my SS , presto ! I could call it my own Z28 ahha !! with about 600 hp pouring out of the previously 427 hp LS3 ,,,,, Tell me? Anyone out there know what I will be seeing when I get the headers and exhaust to compliment the new SC ? 650 .... 675 hp ?? SHould be pumping 500 HP at the wheels ! Who needs a Z28 ! WooHoo !
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #51
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderover40 View Post
What's with this love of Z-28 which really.... come on.... all GM had to do instead of tacking on the SS to the 6.2 liter was to make it the Z-28 and y'all would have gobbled it up...... the SS happens to be the hot , power munger Camaro !! It just didn't get the Z insignia! In the next two weeks I am going to spend = about $7000 and drop the TVS 2300 supercharger into my SS , presto ! I could call it my own Z28 ahha !! with about 600 hp pouring out of the previously 427 hp LS3 ,,,,, Tell me? Anyone out there know what I will be seeing when I get the headers and exhaust to compliment the new SC ? 650 .... 675 hp ?? SHould be pumping 500 HP at the wheels ! Who needs a Z28 ! WooHoo !
then you would have had all these people crying for a SS model with 500HP...

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 12-04-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
The Z28 isn't just about the raw power numbers. Its universally agreed that it needs better handling. Some (not all) would be fine if it had roughly the same power as the SS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #53
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
wow you got power. but you would still not have a Z28. sheesh. the Z28 isn't all about power. but you probably think it is because everyone and their brother wants the LSA 550+hp car. on top of the fact there's something wrong with your plan. No factory warranty. a Z28 would offer that. oh well. I'm tired of trying to educate the masses on why the Z28 isn't just power.

good luck on your plan. seriously. good luck sounds like a nice build.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #54
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
then you would have had all these people crying for a SS model with 500HP...
I tend to agree with this statement. and would I personally buy the SS if it was like the Z is now. probably not.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #55
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
I was never one for the LSA powered heavy uber Z/28. IMO the Z/28 should stay N/A and get a special LS3 with more power think head/cam upgrade and focus on weight loss and suspension/brake upgrades. There are ways to cut weight and increase HP especially if Chevy was going to price the car near the GT500.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #56
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
I was never one for the LSA powered heavy uber Z/28. IMO the Z/28 should stay N/A and get a special LS3 with more power think head/cam upgrade and focus on weight loss and suspension/brake upgrades. There are ways to cut weight and increase HP especially if Chevy was going to price the car near the GT500.
6.2L DI V8 (Gen V motor) would have been a great debut for this car. high out put and they could keep costs down so they could do suspension and maybe weight loss.