Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
I can only lean towards being normal I guess I can't seem to find anything else wrong. I been chasing this rattle snake/hissing/thin trace paper crumpling/rice shaking in a can sound for almost a year and it's very annoying. If it was only hissing I can live with that since I lived with my turbo cars spooling for the last 15 years, but when that hissing get mixed with what sound like rice getting shaken in a can, it start sounding really out of place like you know it does not belong there. I know next time I shop for long tube I'll spend some more money for it and make sure I get some cats with it instead of using test pipes.

Thanks guys!
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
you could always put in some cutouts, you wont hear that annoying noise after that! lol
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Sounds like a heat shield maybe.....
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
Bunker

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Sounds like a heat shield maybe.....
I had some hi flow cats installed and right after developed a noise.

The noise was under load (only when driving) and started as a small "rasp" that progressed to a "grind". Not so much going forward but noticeable when in reverse and VERY noticeable when backing up my driveway over the curb.

Took the car to the dealer as I thought I had a driveline failure somewhere and they told me it was the exhaust hitting the heat shield and body pan.

Took it back to the exhaust shop and had them take a look too. They heated up the exhaust and bent a tad to clear and the noise is gone.

I guess the hi flows apparently angle up more so than the stockers. Witha 2.5" exhaust you'd probably clear and maybe a very small contact (the rasp) but my 3" it hit hard (the grind).

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Thanks for the help guys, but the heat shield is fine. The noise is not from the heat shield or something rattling and hitting. It come with the usual hiss that we get with long tube headers but mine get accompanied with what sound like hard small pieces of rice getting shaken in a metal can or, imagine a thin piece of trace paper crumpling in your hand. I noticed as the weather get warmer the noise almost dissapear, as the weather get colder the noise is more defined.

Everyone that I talk to so far are saying it's from the thin material that the header was made from and also having straight pipes with no cats just amplify the noise. If you guys ever hear the usual hiss that long tube header tends to produce with acceleration but get accompanied by what sound like rice shaking in a can then remember this thread LOL.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Could be a pinhole leak somewhere that would be almost impossible to find.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Could be a pinhole leak somewhere that would be almost impossible to find.
I actually thought about that and feared that it possibly could be.

Also, I wanted to ask you something and I actually think I pm'ed you about it a while ago but never gotten a response back from you. I noticed you are in hollywood md. and you now have dyno service with 224x? Would you say that your dyno read on the accurate side, low, or high side? I have a dyno facility that I use and been using for quite some time now but their dynojet, a 248x always read much lower than most dynojet. Up to 5-7% lower sometimes. It does what it is meant to do very well but I would for once like to get on a dyno that can give me an accurate normal reading..
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Its starting to get to the point where I am driving with my window cracked even in the cold just to not hear the noise. This noise get worst as the weather get colder and actually get better when warm. Sound exactly like one of those hand shaker instrument when accelerating.

Anyone else have an idea what it could be?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Now im leaning to maybe a broken weld in the header. Perhaps in the collecter where all the pipes merge. Higher temps would make the egt's higher therefore tighening gaps inbetween the pipes causing it to not rattle as loud. Cooler weather would lower egt's and not expand the pipes As much therefore making it rattle louder
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Now im leaning to maybe a broken weld in the header. Perhaps in the collecter where all the pipes merge. Higher temps would make the egt's higher therefore tighening gaps inbetween the pipes causing it to not rattle as loud. Cooler weather would lower egt's and not expand the pipes As much therefore making it rattle louder
That is one place I didn't check. I'm going to check that area first thing tomorrow. There's definitely no leaks around the top though. I been dealing with this noise for almost a year and I'm sure if there was a year worth of leak there should be some black soot but nothing.

Also, I just want to clarify that is not a rattle like a heat shield loose but it's more of a hiss mixed with a hand shaker instrument like in the pic. It's weird even trying to explain the noise LOL.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Even though you say it doesn't have an exhaust leak, what you describe sounds very much like a leak between the head and the header flanges. If you didn't have it before installing the headers and you did afterward....it's gotta be the headers. It could be a warped header flange if all the bolts are tightened to the recommended torque specs.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Are you using aftermarket header gaskets? I noticed when I put on my headers that the aftermarket gasket covered the exhaust ports a little bit on the head. I would think that could cause the raspy noise.....I played it safe and re-used the OEM gaskets.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #27
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I definitely used OEM gaskets. I really wish I could just do a quick header swap back to factory to confirm that it's the header but header swap on the v6 is not the same as the SS. It's a real PITA for the v6.

Does anyone know what would be another way to detect header leak other than visual inspection that I could do myself?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #28
kencam

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Maggie Rally Yellow
You could try disconnecting your fans. Tie a strip of tissue paper on a stick and go hunting!
kencam is offline   Reply With Quote