Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
New future challenger information

Here it is...

Shortly after the 2008s comes 2009 model-year production. The always-reliable oh20 reported that the lineup will be expanded to three models with the addition of three more engines, the base model having the 3.5L V6 while the R/T model will offer the all-new 5.7L VCT Hemi with MDS (5-speed) and without MDS (6-speed). Both the R/T and SRT8 will offer an optional six-speed TREMEC manual transmission. Production of the 2009 models is set to start early, in June of 2008. Vehicles are expected to start arriving to dealers in late June/July. During the 2009 and later model years Dodge will most likely offer some special edition Challenger models similar to what has been done with other vehicles in the past.

All 2009 Challenger models will feature, as Standard equipment, front and side air bags, air conditioning, body-color door handles and fascias, cell phone storage, cruise control, a floor console with sliding armrest, functional hood scoops, non-adjustable pedals, power mirrors, power windows (1-touch down), rear wheel drive, rear window radio antenna, 3-point rear center seatbelts, satin/chrome grilles, Sentry Key anti-theft system and a tilt-telescoping steering wheel. None of the Challenger models will feature a spare tire, a “service kit” will be offered instead.

Other features and options on the 2009 Challenger will include Remote Start, MyGIG Infotainments systems with and without navigation, Sirius Satellite radio, foglamps, and a power sunroof. Base models will have a Tire Pressure warning light while other models will have a Tire Pressure display.

The 5.7L Hemi engine is set for an upgrade, which is why the R/T Challengers will not arrive until the 2009 model year. Chrysler will have variable cam timing in place on these new-generation 5.7 engines, neatly leapfrogging most variable-valve timing systems. In addition to VVT and expanded MDS operating range, the HEMI’s fuel economy (~4%) and performance improvements (~10%) result from an increased compression ratio, an active intake manifold with long runners for low-end torque and short runners for high-rpm power, improved cylinder head port flow efficiency, and reduced restriction exhaust and induction systems. To raise the reliability and durability of the HEMI engine, other updates are crankshaft structural upgrades, a dual-mass crankshaft damper, floating pin piston design, valve spring design and oil pump capacity increase for VVT. The 2009 Dodge Ram will get 380 hp and 404 lb-ft of torque from the new Hemi and the Challenger numbers are expected be somewhat similar.

The expanded Multiple Displacement System (MDS) will be included in the new 5.7 that is offered in R/T automatic transmission models, while 6-speed manual R/T models will feature the same engine without MDS. A 6.4 liter version, with an estimated 500 or more hp, is still expected to be offered in a future model of the Challenger, possibly debuting in the 2010 model year.

Additional features of the 2009 R/T will include a rear body-color spoiler, 4-wheel anti-lock heavy-duty brakes, anti-spin rear differential, chrome pedals, dual rear exhaust, heated front seats, illuminated cupholders and map pockets, power heated mirrors, instrument cluster display screen, performance steering and suspension and 20”x8” chrome-clad wheels. R/T models will have a 19-gal. fuel tank, vs the 18.5 tank on the base models.

The 2009 SRT8 models will be very similar to the 2008 Challenger SRT8 models, other than the addition of a 6-speed manual version with 3.92 rear gearing and Hill Start Assist, there will be very few changes other than the addition of exterior colors. The 6.1L HEMI will return, and the available features and options will be nearly identical but offered in expanded option groups/packages.

2009 colors will include but not be limited to, Bright Silver, Brilliant Black, High-Performance Red, HEMI Orange, Dark Titanium Metallic and Stone White. Additional colors are still to be determined. For the interior, Dark Slate Gray will be offered on all models. Other interior color choices are unknown at this time.

Challenger convertible models are rumored to be added in the 2010 model year, with production possibly starting in the first half of 2009, several months earlier than the 2010 non-convertible models. Convertibles will be offered in the base and R/T models only. Finally, the 2011 or 2012 Challenger will most likely include the upcoming 4.0 liter Phoenix engine, replacing the 3.5 liter. This explains the front seat belt mounts, which are normally bolted to the bottom of the B post, then travel up the B post at which point you grab it and place over your chest. In the Challenger, seat belts are set up convertible-style; there is a small bar at the bottom of the B post which the seat belt is attached to. This allows it to slide back and forth to help with getting it out of the way when getting in the back. Then the seat belt travels through a loop at the top of the seats like in a convertible. You grab the seat belt from the top of the seat and then place across you chest. This may indicate that someone is thinking ahead to making a convertible. (Courtesy oh20; first released at allpar).

The interior is, we’re now told, very different from the concept. The radio area is completely different; the console top is the same color but has a different shape, including an iPod valley in front. Gauges are different, and now include large chrome rings around each pod (a late change).

SRC
Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

The really big piece of info.. the Challenger will be available with a V6 BEFORE even 1 camaro is available, and if they follow their price scheme, it will be in the the low 20's!! Things are not looking up for GM on this front.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I just don't like how the new Challenger looks that much :\

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
...no, that's not good. V6's already? Damn. Maybe Chrysler isn't as stupid as we thought

The only thing Chevy can capitalize on now, is two things: The more broader-appealing look of the Camaro...and it's fuel economy. Because, not being a pig-and-all does have it's benifits.

The one thing I didn't catch in that article is, how much hp is the 5.7 HEMI putting out??
EDIT: ner'mind. Just saw it. So that engine choice tells us one thing; Chevy has to pick a path with the Mainstream V8: Flaunt it's hp numbers? or flaunt it's performance numbers. Both of which can be accomplished with an uptuned L76...or just jumping ahead to a heavily modified LS3. (VVT, AFM, etc.)..............................Of course, they could always surprise everyone and drop a Gen V inside...

Thanks for that , Diarmadhi!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
So it looks like the challenger wont exactly be limited production?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
So it looks like the challenger wont exactly be limited production?
I was thinking this same thing, Dodge put out the info that it was limited production but now looks like they will have a full line in 2009 to compete with the revamp of the Mustang and the release of the Camaro.. Bait and switch move ... Nice..
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

2008 was limited, post years will not be.

FYI only 6400, 2008 challengers will be made
Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
If I was GM (which is why i dont own a car company) I would not sit around for over 6 months while the challenger is racking up sales. Some people are not as loyal as us and will go with whats avilable at the time, which accounts for who knows how much percent of people? (<<does that make sense?)
mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
[KRPT]ECP
Professional Lurker

Drives: '97 LeSabre
the camaro is already late to the party, they need something other than speed of delivery to sell their product. I believe GM's trump card will be the quality of the camaro exceeding everything else.
[KRPT]ECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KRPT]ECP View Post
the camaro is already late to the party, they need something other than speed of delivery to sell their product. I believe GM's trump card will be the quality of the camaro exceeding everything else.

The Camaro is said to have class leading performance, as expected. So waiting that extra 6 months will allow for the car to be perfected. GM has gotten alot of crap for quality in the last few years, though that is changing they need to be well ahead of expectations for all cars in order for the stigma to go away. The other thing to remember is that the Challenger is built off the same platform as the Challenger, 300, and Magnum which will shave a good deal of time off of development. And from greenlighting production to rolling off the line will take less time than the original Camaro (if I remember what Scott said corectly)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Actually, I think GM will have a couple trump cards (I hope quality is one of them)....

For the V8 models, the trump card is (as has almost always been the case), the "bang-for-the-buck". The Camaro will probably have more HP than either of it's direct competitors (the GT and the R/T) and equal or less weight, so performance numbers should be better than either. Yeah, I know, there is always the top-line GT500 or the SRT-8 version, but there will probably (although not right away) be a top-line version of the Camaro too...meant to compete with those higher end versions (in which case, price may very well be the trump card). Add to it that V8 fuel economy will likely fall in Chevy's favor too.

At the V-6 level, the trump card will also be the performance. The V6 that Dodge is using doesn't put out enough power to lug that heavy car around real well. We all know the V6 Mustang is anemic at best. GM's V6's are solid now, but it's possible (some say likely) that the Camaro gets the DI V6, which is 300 horses (maybe 310 or 315 by 2009/10), which is far more than either of the others. Add to it that DI is supposed to increase fuel economy. Price may not be that big of a factor at the V6 level.

While I like the Challenger, Chevy will always have one big trump card over the Dodge and definitely over the Ford....looks....the Camaro looks so much better than either of the others. Personal preference? Maybe, but with so many people, from magazine editors/writers to auto show attendees to general public on message boards/forums, in agreement on how good the Camaro looks, obviously, I'm not the only one who prefers it's looks.

One more thing that may not be a real trump card, but I think about it....if you get into a Challenger or a Mustang and you want to move up...you still want a performance car, but more of it, and you've hit a point in your life where you want to move up.....what do you move up to? The GT is no longer, so the Mustang is the top for Ford. If the death of the Viper has not been exaggerated, there isn't anything to move up to at Dodge either. You can move up, but you have to move out of the brand, even the company.

But at Chevy...if the Camaro no longer does it for you and you want to move up....go ahead...there are now 3 levels of Corvettes to choose from. The trump card here may be the fact that in the future, when the Camaro needs a little upgrade, it can "learn" from it's bigger and badder brother. The other brands don't have that advantage at all.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Trying hard to keep the challenger info condensed....

New pictures leaked before actual release by DCX..

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
One thing that always struck me(and still does) as unappealing about the Challenger. Was that blunt front end...it looks like they smooshed the nose of the clay model before they made sheetmetal from it.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I'll have to say it looks pretty good... And that burnout is

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote