Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #57
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ever since my Livernois tune, I love my L99. Shifts are awesome and I can really feel them. It drives much better than stock (of course, gears and the blower help, too). L99 is pretty much neutered at the factory. If you have one, tuning it is almost a must. I could imagine the manual being fun, but shifting all the time would get old after a while (for me, at least).

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #58
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Green apples vs. Red apples. Which is best?
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #59
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Green apples vs. Red apples. Which is best?
Red. Green are too sour!

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #60
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Soar left knee.
It is the major drawback I believe.

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #61
ThingFish

Drives: Black 2012 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
... The first one had a $29k bare bones LS manual and a +$40k SS manual.
$29k bare bones LS? That's over $10k more than what I paid for mine. Happily, there are a couple of dealerships here in the Chicagoland area who stack up manual LSs as low price leaders. And the prices become very flexible at the end of the month.

My last two cars were automatics. My wife bought a manual 5 speed PT Cruiser convertible four years ago, and I realized it is fun to drive-- even with a 0-60 time that's best measured with a calendar. So, the top priority when I was shopping for a new car, was that it had to have a manual transmission.

As for driving in traffic, the manual doesn't faze me in the slightest. And it's not like we don't have traffic in Chicago. I've been driving manual for so long that I don't even think about it; muscle memory takes over.

Bottom line is that I feel more connected to any manual transmission car than to any automatic that I've ever driven. Of course I don't begrudge anyone who chooses an automatic; other people have other priorities.
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #62
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Nicely said ‘’poetic experience’’
It's funny how you read so many automatic owner get the back hand comment: Oh, it's an Automatic!'', in my case my family and friends were like: ''Why did you get a Manual? lol

I got my first manual and my first new car at 35 years old. It is really a soul fulfilling experience for me.
Having a manual Camaro is really an extension of your feelings...there is a lot more possibilities to change your driving style with a stick.
My shift patterns can go from:
1-3-5
1-4
Start in 2nd
Leave it in 2nd, 3rd or 4th at 4000rpm to hear the burbles when release the gas pedals
The best part is compression downshifts with rev match...the sounds of the burbles…. Sweet music to my ears. Some can be done with automatic but it’s not has fun, especially on road course.

Automatics have their reasons, my Dodge Magnum is auto and I would not want a stick for that car. But my manual Camaro is a driving fulfillment every time I get in it.
The A6 will do all the same, with the exception of the skip shift. But then again what's the point of rowing gears, when you leave half of them out ...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #63
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Manual
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #64
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
No one is ever going to look in your side window and say, "Ah dude. Why'd you get the manual?"

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #65
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The A6 will do all the same, with the exception of the skip shift. But then again what's the point of rowing gears, when you leave half of them out ...
It really depends on my mood, traffic and fuel left in the tank!!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #66
Dan2013
Living the Dream

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
My 2013 Camaro SS is an auto. My Challenger SRT8 392 was a stick but it's gone now. I get the "old school" mentality of rowing thru the gears but cars now a days are going automatic transmission. Look at the Porsche 911. Look at Ferrari. Even my SRT8 392 was as much as .4 - .5 faster in the auto version. It may well be more enjoyable to drive a manual but you will see less and less of them as the years go by and technology improves even more. To think someone is less "manly" because they drive an automatic is pretty juvenile in my opinion.
Dan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #67
ThingFish

Drives: Black 2012 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2013 View Post
To think someone is less "manly" because they drive an automatic is pretty juvenile in my opinion.
I've had three cars that had manual chokes. I used to joke with friends that they weren't real men not because they drove auto transmissions, but because they drove automatic chokes.
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #68
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
My designated driver can't drive a manual.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #69
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph09 View Post
So I have a automatic SS and I usually get a hard time from people about not having a manual. Is there a big difference between difference especially in regards to performance?
I think this post again, got Waaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

Yes, it's more fun to drive a manual, that was not asked.
Yes, you are a man for driving a sports car, manual or auto, that was not asked. Matter of fact, we have a lot of great women drivers on this forum. But we know what you meant.
Yes, for the "old school" people, 3 pedals looks pretty, but looks don't get you down the track any faster. That was not asked.
Yes a manual will be an auto on a road course, but that was not the question in this section.
Yes, if I look into a window, I would ask the owner, why not an auto. Was not asked by the OP.

Biggest and best answer. No, no real big difference in performance. As you can see, it's all up to the individual and what they like.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #70
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I think this post again, got Waaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

Yes, it's more fun to drive a manual, that was not asked.
Yes, you are a man for driving a sports car, manual or auto, that was not asked. Matter of fact, we have a lot of great women drivers on this forum. But we know what you meant.
Yes, for the "old school" people, 3 pedals looks pretty, but looks don't get you down the track any faster. That was not asked.
Yes a manual will be an auto on a road course, but that was not the question in this section.
Yes, if I look into a window, I would ask the owner, why not an auto. Was not asked by the OP.

Biggest and best answer. No, no real big difference in performance. As you can see, it's all up to the individual and what they like.
You know, I had to go back and read the OP ... I have to agree ... Naw, not really much of a difference.