Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #71
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
This sure is a long thread over something relativley simple and minor. I know we all like a throaty exhaust sound. Love my magnaflow and have it on all three of my cars. Caverman, when you adjust the tailpipes be sure you do not go forward too much. Several owners that did muffler deletes or axel back etc went short of factory tailpipe location and scortch/blistered the rear plastic facia. A little protruding, like factory, looks just right anyway. Glad you finally got your Red Camaro. As a side tip you might want to buy your products from the individual that will install the product. This gives you much satisfaction if rattles or problems appear later. Friendship is a two way street. Good Luck
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #72
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i found the magnaflow pipe on summit for 102 shipped. i thought you said you got it for around 80 shpped or am i seeing things??

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #73
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
i found the magnaflow pipe on summit for 102 shipped. i thought you said you got it for around 80 shpped or am i seeing things??
www.magnaflowplus.com

JDP Motorsports

Remember....let them know you're from the Camaro5 forum.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #74
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
like the tips
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #75
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
I will say I think Magnaflow makes a better product than SOLO. It's Made in the USA, it has a Lifetime Warranty and it's straight through with NO chambers. I've run chambered mufflers and I never will again.

I was simply posting my opinions here because there is some mis information regarding Magnaflow's design and I'd put money down that in real world testing the Magnaflow system will make more power.

Kind regards,
All due respect, you sell Magnaflow. But I was not saying Magnaflow is total garbage, I was explaining why I like SOLO better, and why I think it is a better product, as a consumer. The Solo System is straight through. The Mach cat back systems are hand built in Upstate NY and Canada.

I own a Magnaflow Cat Back system on my SKY Redline and the sound changed a lot over 3 years and is to the point of droning on the highway now. I will be replacing it with a SOLO system when I get up some bucks. I am NOT a fan of Magnaflow after my experience.

As for a lifetime warrantee, SOLO backs their product 100%.

Warrantee's are BS anyway, To make a warrantee claim for my Magnaflow, I have to take the system down after 3 years and wait for it to ship two ways and then put it back up. In the meanwhile I cannot use my car.

These are just my opinions as a consumer.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #76
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Why doesn't anyone sell the straight pipes for anyone who wants to do a muffler delete?
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #77
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
Why doesn't anyone sell the straight pipes for anyone who wants to do a muffler delete?

probably because there isnt enough market for this. After putting it up for sale it would be cheaper for someone to just go to a muffler shop and add pipe on.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #78
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52804 View Post
They do....go look at the SLP Loudmouth axle-back. It's in the $400 range if you want to go that route. It's cheaper to have a muffler shop do it but you can do it yourself if you want.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #79
caverman

Got the car back from the other muffler shop and I am very pleased with what they did. Not real pleased I had to pay another $175 to fix the original mistakes but that stuff happens sometimes.

The tips are done to the correct length this time. They re-adjusted the pipes coming out of the X-Pipe because there was only about ¼” clearance between the exhaust and the brace under the car…now there is almost ½” clearance. They also used a sawsall to make the clean cuts. In one of the pics I had him take you can see the ragged edges inside the old pipe section. No more torched ends!

You can also see where the rear cat was replaced with straight pipe. In the video you can’t really hear a difference but in person I can definitely tell. It isn’t blatantly obvious but it is louder and it was noticeable to me immediately. It also seems to rev up a little faster to me…..nothing over the top but definitely noticeable. Inside the cabin it’s perfect to me for a daily driver….a bit louder but pretty much perfect for my taste. You can hear the exhaust even if the radio it turned up a little bit. I definitely like the cat removal and would recommend it if you have the opportunity. That part cost me $125….and I’m sure someone is going to ask but the answer is “No….there is no check engine light or anything at all”. I did not have to tune my car....it's still on the factory GM tune. You can see the rear sensor right in front of the piece that was cut out. The rear cats aren’t monitored at all.

I am very pleased with this setup and would recommend it to anyone. Parts $175 + $175 labor (what it would’ve cost at the new shop) + $125 for cat delete…..total should’ve been around $475. Use the factory tips and it would’ve been around $375 for everything.

If you’re in the DFW, TX area I will be at the upcoming meets for others to hear in person. Come on Spring weather!
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #80
caverman

I was only able to go down to a dead end street and get some still video. Later this week the weather is supposed to get better so I hope to grab a friend and do some more in-cabin and drive by videos.

TommyTSquared…..I hit a couple 4k + revs just for you.

Build Journal
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #81
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you get any popping on deceleration? How is the drone inside around 2k?
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #82
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Do you get any popping on deceleration? How is the drone inside around 2k?
Yes...there is some popping...you can hear it in my start up/reving video. I don't think you're going to get away from that and I would imagine any Cat-back or Axle-back is going to have it. Heck...it's there with the factory setup but you just don't hear it that much because the factory exhaust is so quiet. I think the resonated x-pipes might tone it down a little more than the non-resonated ones but that's just because the resonated x-pipe seems to give the whole system a deeper tone in general.

As far as drone.....I don't hear any but maybe I'm not understanding what everyone is considering drone. When I take some in-cabin videos (hopefully this weekend) I'll try to get it up on the highway and put it into 6th and get it around the 1.8k-2K RPM range.

I peronally like this setup a lot. I'm sure LT Headers and a 3" system is probably going to sound better but in the mean time and for the money this is a very good in-between system.
Build Journal
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #83
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yes...there is some popping...you can hear it in my start up/reving video. I don't think you're going to get away from that and I would imagine any Cat-back or Axle-back is going to have it. Heck...it's there with the factory setup but you just don't hear it that much because the factory exhaust is so quiet. I think the resonated x-pipes might tone it down a little more than the non-resonated ones but that's just because the resonated x-pipe seems to give the whole system a deeper tone in general.

As far as drone.....I don't hear any but maybe I'm not understanding what everyone is considering drone. When I take some in-cabin videos (hopefully this weekend) I'll try to get it up on the highway and put it into 6th and get it around the 1.8k-2K RPM range.

I peronally like this setup a lot. I'm sure LT Headers and a 3" system is probably going to sound better but in the mean time and for the money this is a very good in-between system.
perhaps some of US are used to drone from other toys we own and dont realize it when it is there ?

I like the way it Sounds. Especially when you downshift like in your other videos and punch it.
That Gargle is in both the Manual and the Automatic at Start up.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #84
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
I have an LS3/M6. Next week I will be doing the MD (as well as removing the resonators) while adding Magnaflow resonated x-pipe and keeping the factory tips. I keep flip-flopping about going with the tru-X instead. Seems like everyone doing this has an L99.

Anyone with an LS3 know which would be better, tru-X or resonated X???
harmonicator is offline   Reply With Quote