Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #57
2SSRSGTOTA

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS Coupe Rally Yellow
sounds nice caverman, i'll post mine later
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6.2L L99 Auto
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 5.3L V8 Auto (sold)
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7L V8 LS1 Auto
1995 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 LT1 LE2.2 Auto
2SSRSGTOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #58
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok….these aren’t the greatest and I hope to re-do them in over the weekend but I had my neighbor go with me to a dead end street to get a little video before it got to dark. I want to find a more secluded place where I can stay on it longer.

I’m new to making videos so hopefully these are to bad. I will say…as others have….the microphone on the camcorder doesn’t do it justice. It does sound better in person. I never really believed it when everyone else said it but it’s true. These are just for you to get a basic idea. If you can hear something like this in person you’ll be better off in your decision making.

yeah buddy
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #59
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
For a little more money $515 vs $750 you should consider going with the SOLO Mach-X. That will be a cat-back system and not just an axle-back. I'm not knocking LMII but the cat-back is easy to install...expecially if you have a helping hand. Even by yourself you can do it easily.
Thanks, is any welding required?

I will check it out, just stopping in for a second, gotta go now.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #60
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post

Nope....I don't believe so but you should check with SOLO on the install process.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
2SSRSGTOTA

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS Coupe Rally Yellow
here it is sorry for the delay
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6.2L L99 Auto
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 5.3L V8 Auto (sold)
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7L V8 LS1 Auto
1995 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 LT1 LE2.2 Auto
2SSRSGTOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #62
soonerfanru2

Drives: 2ss
sounds real good Dude!
soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #63
LT1Jeep
Ecstatic Camaro SS Owner

Drives: Jeep(s) [1in pieces] and 2010 SS/RS
I ALWAYS loved the way Magnaflow sounds on chevys.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #64
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
Sawzall would be nice, but what the heck,,,they were going inside and never to be seen.. ..
Looks nice..I do like my bigger tips on my Solo.. and well as a overall unit....but I would do this.....
Only thing Id do diff if tips not sticking out so far ..if I did it like you..
but:
my opinion only.. and looks great!...
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #65
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
well since this is the case, would solo be interested in selling their resonator/muffler/x-pipe deal by itself with no piping????? i'd go that route if possible. if not, i'll be going this way.
You can call Steve (their sales and customer service rep) at the number in the video and ask. I would imagine they would sell it separate.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #66
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
I agree that the SOLO system would be better and as I put in my review if you have the extra money I would go with SOLO. Actually, I might still buy the SOLO system in the next month or two. Hopefully I can hear it in person soon to help make that decision.

My biggest regret is that I didn’t think to jump on the muffler guy to use the sawsall instead of the torch to make my cuts cleaner. Although I don’t see how there is much of an effect on performance that is caused having the jagged edges. A little maybe but I doubt anything I would ever notice.

Otherwise here are questions I would have about going with SOLO vs this route.
1. The savings….for me it was less than ½ the cost. I was able to buy my Hurst Shifter for that difference.

2. You mention that the resonator in the SOLO has “No Seems” unlike the Magnaflow. I’m sure you’re correct but since I’ve never seen inside either one I’ll just have to take your word on it. Even so what difference does it make to have a Seem or not? If for some odd reason it came apart or something Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I would be able to get another one. Although that would be a PIA. What are the advantages of a “No Seem” resonator?

3. You mention the SOLO has extra wobble to rid the system of drone on the highway. I haven’t heard any drone from this system so far. I even took my neighbor for a ride today and he said his 300c with Borla has drone in it and he definitely didn’t hear any in mine. So…whatever Magnaflow did I assume they did what they needed to do to address drone as well.

4. SOLO has different holes in the pipes compared to other companies. What difference does the different size and amount make? I’m not trying to be a smart ass….I’m curious about what the difference it makes? To me the Magnaflow sounds good.

5. There are a couple flat spots in the factory system but you cut out all but one of them if you go this route. Yes is may not be perfect but I doubt very seriously that it’s going to make enough of a difference that you would ever hear or feel in performance.

6. Yes....bolting on any cat-back system on these cars is easy. However...I didn't even do that much. I just stood there and took pictures while someone else did all the work. Although I personally have no issue with putting on a cat-back on these cars. I have access to a lift but others may not.

7. The savings isn't a few bucks.....it's a few hundred bucks. Again, if you have it I would definately go SOLO, if you don't then this is a good alternative.

I’m not knocking or questioning the design of SOLO at all. I’m actually still strongly considering the SOLO system….I’m sure I can sell my current setup for a little bit of money and I’ll have to just chalk up the difference to learning curve. However ever for only $325 this will get me by for a little while.
2. You mention that the resonator in the SOLO has “No Seems” unlike the Magnaflow. I’m sure you’re correct but since I’ve never seen inside either one I’ll just have to take your word on it. Even so what difference does it make to have a Seem or not? If for some odd reason it came apart or something Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I would be able to get another one. Although that would be a PIA. What are the advantages of a “No Seem” resonator? Look at your picture, the X-Pipe has horizontal seems. The flow cannot be as smooth and the pressure would change going from the pipe to the resonator and back to the pipe. I am no engineer, but it is a cheaper way to make an x-pipe........ stamped.

3. You mention the SOLO has extra wobble to rid the system of drone on the highway. I haven’t heard any drone from this system so far. I even took my neighbor for a ride today and he said his 300c with Borla has drone in it and he definitely didn’t hear any in mine. So…whatever Magnaflow did I assume they did what they needed to do to address drone as well. I agree, their is more than one way to achieve the same result. I was just explaining how the owner of SOLO explained to me why their system is different. He felt over time their design was more stable and would keep the same tone.

4. SOLO has different holes in the pipes compared to other companies. What difference does the different size and amount make? I’m not trying to be a smart ass….I’m curious about what the difference it makes? To me the Magnaflow sounds good. The difference is in the depth and smoothness of the tone. I personally like the tone better out of the SOLO compared to the other systems I have heard in person. These are personal opinions, each person has to hear both in person and decide for themselves.

5. There are a couple flat spots in the factory system but you cut out all but one of them if you go this route. Yes is may not be perfect but I doubt very seriously that it’s going to make enough of a difference that you would ever hear or feel in performance. In theory it would, in reality, who knows for sure. I was just pointing out the fact that their are many differences in going your way or buying a complete and balanced system that was quality built and designed to work together. That doesn't mean that it is not good enough for you, it is all a matter of what you are looking for. I am not into Frankensteining things like this. I like a complete, cleanly manufactured product on my cars..........that is just me.

6. Yes....bolting on any cat-back system on these cars is easy. However...I didn't even do that much. I just stood there and took pictures while someone else did all the work. Although I personally have no issue with putting on a cat-back on these cars. I have access to a lift but others may not. - All you need is ramps to put on the SOLO system, not a lift. I have heard as little as $50 being charged fro installing the Mach X at one members local mechanic. It takes less than an hour.

7. The savings isn't a few bucks.....it's a few hundred bucks. Again, if you have it I would definately go SOLO, if you don't then this is a good alternative. To me, it is worth saving for quality built products, a few hundred dollars is peanuts when you are talking about a $37,000 car. But again, this is a personal decision and my opinion. I understand and respect yours as well.

I’m not knocking or questioning the design of SOLO at all. I’m actually still strongly considering the SOLO system….I’m sure I can sell my current setup for a little bit of money and I’ll have to just chalk up the difference to learning curve. However ever for only $325 this will get me by for a little while. I totally understand and think it was a pretty clever way of approaching your budget restraint. I did not read your thread and answer thinking you were knocking SOLO. Just that some people will read this and take it to the max as if it is "as good" as a complete balanced system. I am not knocking this set-up, but simply pointing out that "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". This way may be OK for those that do not care about the things I pointed out, or what is hanging under their car. But their are those like me, who do, so I was just pointing out the difference. No disrespect was meant, just a point, counterpoint, discussion for others to read and hopefully benefit from. That is what makes these forums so great! Be well my friend and enjoy your new sound!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #67
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post

SOLO's Mach X Cat back system is a Bolt on 45 minute process, and 25-30 of those minutes is taking down the damn heavy factory system.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #68
caverman

Ok....so the length that the tips stick out and the torch job has really been eating at me ever since I got it back home. I talked around some more and found a muffler shop just down the street from ADM Performance. I took pictures of what was done and we got it up on on the lift. I also took a look at some of his work and I feel alot better about this guy having a clue as to what's going on.

We talked extensively about what was done, what I didn't like, and what would need to be fixed. Unfortunately he is only open 1/2 days on Saturday so I'm going to be taking my car back on Monday to have him basically re-do what I had done originally and to get the tips right this time. It's going to cost me another $150 to fix someone elses job and re-do it correctly but at least it should be done right this time.

So....everyone reading this and planning on doing a muffler delete.....learn from my mistake (or the muffler guys mistake)....NO TORCHES!!! Only use a sawsall to cut the original exhaust. Also...go check out the shop in person and talk with the installer to make sure your comfortable with their ideas and work. Don't use the cheapest guy out there when you're only talking about a $20 - $40 difference.

Sad thing is the new guy said that the original guy didn't really do a bad job. In general the welds and everything were pretty good but he was pretty floored that someone that seemed to have an idea on how to work on mufflers would use a torch over a sawsall.

Also....since my secondary cat got damaged by something .....I'm going to have another exhaust trick done that he says will get me at least another 5hp (not much but hey anything is better), make it flow a little better, and more than anything he says it should make it 10%-15% louder which is fine because the current setup is not that loud at all in my opinion. He is going to remove the back two cats and put straight pipe there. The secondary ones are not monitored by the car so there are no codes that will be thrown and thus no need for a tune. I questioned this a bunch with him and I'm pretty comfortable about doing this. I would do the off-road down pipes but I don't feel like doing a tune on my car just yet. I will eventually but not till at least the end of the year. We'll see how this works out. Of course I'll get video and pics of the end product.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #69
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
2. You mention that the resonator in the SOLO has “No Seems” unlike the Magnaflow. I’m sure you’re correct but since I’ve never seen inside either one I’ll just have to take your word on it. Even so what difference does it make to have a Seem or not? If for some odd reason it came apart or something Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I would be able to get another one. Although that would be a PIA. What are the advantages of a “No Seem” resonator? Look at your picture, the X-Pipe has horizontal seems. The flow cannot be as smooth and the pressure would change going from the pipe to the resonator and back to the pipe. I am no engineer, but it is a cheaper way to make an x-pipe........ stamped.
The seems in the core of the Magnaflow resonators and mufflers doesn't affect flow, they've been flow tested and it sounds like a Marketing ploy to me... I'd love to see a picture of the internals on the SOLO.

3. You mention the SOLO has extra wobble to rid the system of drone on the highway. I haven’t heard any drone from this system so far. I even took my neighbor for a ride today and he said his 300c with Borla has drone in it and he definitely didn’t hear any in mine. So…whatever Magnaflow did I assume they did what they needed to do to address drone as well. I agree, their is more than one way to achieve the same result. I was just explaining how the owner of SOLO explained to me why their system is different. He felt over time their design was more stable and would keep the same tone.
Baffles and chambers affect airflow more so than seems on a tube. Magnaflow raps the core with stainless steel and they pack them with basalt, the sound quality is very consistent after 1500 miles or so. The systems such as Borla that use Fiberglass packing do blow out. I've NEVER blown a Magnaflow out even at over 1000 RWHP....

4. SOLO has different holes in the pipes compared to other companies. What difference does the different size and amount make? I’m not trying to be a smart ass….I’m curious about what the difference it makes? To me the Magnaflow sounds good. The difference is in the depth and smoothness of the tone. I personally like the tone better out of the SOLO compared to the other systems I have heard in person. These are personal opinions, each person has to hear both in person and decide for themselves.

The perforation quantity and size controls sound quality as does the packing. The more holes you have and the larger they are the quieter it will be. There are other factors to this as well including how tightly the muffler is packed, loser means quieter but it also means more turbulence.

5. There are a couple flat spots in the factory system but you cut out all but one of them if you go this route. Yes is may not be perfect but I doubt very seriously that it’s going to make enough of a difference that you would ever hear or feel in performance. In theory it would, in reality, who knows for sure. I was just pointing out the fact that their are many differences in going your way or buying a complete and balanced system that was quality built and designed to work together. That doesn't mean that it is not good enough for you, it is all a matter of what you are looking for. I am not into Frankensteining things like this. I like a complete, cleanly manufactured product on my cars..........that is just me.
The minor flat spots up front aren't going to cost you 2 HP unless we start getting into crazy power levels. I agree I'd prefer a cat-back but for the cost this is a good option for people. I know Magnaflow list price is higher than SOLO but our prices are cheaper than theirs so if you were going with a cat-back that shouldn't be a factor.

6. Yes....bolting on any cat-back system on these cars is easy. However...I didn't even do that much. I just stood there and took pictures while someone else did all the work. Although I personally have no issue with putting on a cat-back on these cars. I have access to a lift but others may not. - All you need is ramps to put on the SOLO system, not a lift. I have heard as little as $50 being charged fro installing the Mach X at one members local mechanic. It takes less than an hour.
This is true but it wasn't what caverman was going for...

7. The savings isn't a few bucks.....it's a few hundred bucks. Again, if you have it I would definately go SOLO, if you don't then this is a good alternative. To me, it is worth saving for quality built products, a few hundred dollars is peanuts when you are talking about a $37,000 car. But again, this is a personal decision and my opinion. I understand and respect yours as well.
The Magnaflow Comp Series is almost $100 cheaper than SOLO's system with our discount.

I’m not knocking or questioning the design of SOLO at all. I’m actually still strongly considering the SOLO system….I’m sure I can sell my current setup for a little bit of money and I’ll have to just chalk up the difference to learning curve. However ever for only $325 this will get me by for a little while. I totally understand and think it was a pretty clever way of approaching your budget restraint. I did not read your thread and answer thinking you were knocking SOLO. Just that some people will read this and take it to the max as if it is "as good" as a complete balanced system. I am not knocking this set-up, but simply pointing out that "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". This way may be OK for those that do not care about the things I pointed out, or what is hanging under their car. But their are those like me, who do, so I was just pointing out the difference. No disrespect was meant, just a point, counterpoint, discussion for others to read and hopefully benefit from. That is what makes these forums so great! Be well my friend and enjoy your new sound!
I will say I think Magnaflow makes a better product than SOLO. It's Made in the USA, it has a Lifetime Warranty and it's straight through with NO chambers. I've run chambered mufflers and I never will again.

I was simply posting my opinions here because there is some mis information regarding Magnaflow's design and I'd put money down that in real world testing the Magnaflow system will make more power.

Kind regards,
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #70
caverman

Well....looks like I'm staying with Maganflow anyway. After I end up paying someone to fix the first round mis-haps then I don't see myself laying down money for another system until I buy some headers.

With the price JDP can get on a Magnaflow Comp Series...WOW...best prices I've seen by far. I've been trying to tell everyone to call JDP and this just proves that point.

I still say the resonated x-pipe with a muffler delete is a very good sound...no matter if you have a local guy do it, buy the Magnaflow Comp, or SOLO.
Build Journal