Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
soldier9129

Drives: 2010 SS
IS the ZL1 worth it

I know I will get flamed and have my fire suit on but is it worth it? Just looking at it from a cost perspective I paid just over 30 for my 1SS so is it worth adding 25k plus to get it. Even if I factor in a 2ss your still talking another 20 plus. The Zl1 with dealer fees tax and such is what 60k. I really dont want to get into the arguement of I can add a blower for 8 grand and in a sense have the same car, I beleive that but truely dont want to argue the point. It just seems the ZL1 and mustang cobra have gotten insanely priced. Thoughts
soldier9129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
It is only worth it if you want it and you are willing to spend the money.
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
soldier9129

I might add a very cool car and not down playing its capabilities. I am just looking at it from a real cost perspective to goods provided.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
If you compare it to other cars in its class, it's a bargain. If you run it up against a 1SS, not so much. It's a completely different animal.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
soldier9129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
If you compare it to other cars in its class, it's a bargain. If you run it up against a 1SS, not so much. It's a completely different animal.

yeah I agree and wasnt really trying to get that and even comparing the 2ss is different which in reality minus leather and a cluster gauge is no different mechanically or vizually. And the Zl1 gives you a warranty which is a plus.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I kinda hate these threads, because there is a lot more to the ZL1 than a straight line track run. These cars are made to run straight and turn left and right over and over. And yes you can spend $8K on a super charger, and when you do don't forget to keep a reserve of cash ... Because your warranty is toast ... Also don't forget it doesn't start out like a 1SS, it is like a 2SS/RS and is built up from there.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
soldier9129

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I kinda hate these threads, because there is a lot more to the ZL1 than a straight line track run. These cars are made to run straight and turn left and right over and over. And yes you can spend $8K on a super charger, and when you do don't forget to keep a reserve of cash ... Because your warranty is toast ... Also don't forget it doesn't start out like a 1SS, it is like a 2SS/RS and is built up from there.

I agre and thats the reasoning I have as well, but just trying to quantify the price tag. And i did leave out my 1SS is an RS, so again minus leather and a gauge which provides nothing performance wise is the only difference, well that in blue tooth which i added the factory part for 50 bucks.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

Lots of driveline and chassis changes -

keep one thing in mind - over a 3rd of the ZL1 was re-engineered or has unique part numbers.......

but slingshot is correct in his premise.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
It's worth every penny! You gotta play to play!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Depends upon how you define "worth it."

As Scott points out there are a lot of changes to this car. Even though (Sorry Scott) I won't be going down this road for a ZL-1, I think it is pretty damn awesome.

Now, let's cut to the chase here. Pretty much most of us (Camaro Enthusiasts) thinkk our cars are something much more than just an appliance. In he grand scheme of life, for most people, a simple auto does the trick. Get's you to and fro. But, Car People, are much more into a more all encompassing expereince with their automobiles.

So the final decision ends up being pretty much a personal fulfillment of what your expectations are in an automobile.

I for one, am happy with my "Rosie." do I need more, no. Would I like more, probably. But then again, I am an od guy, and can be pretty much satisified with what I have.

You have to make the call.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier9129 View Post
I know I will get flamed and have my fire suit on but is it worth it? Just looking at it from a cost perspective I paid just over 30 for my 1SS so is it worth adding 25k plus to get it. Even if I factor in a 2ss your still talking another 20 plus. The Zl1 with dealer fees tax and such is what 60k. I really dont want to get into the arguement of I can add a blower for 8 grand and in a sense have the same car, I beleive that but truely dont want to argue the point. It just seems the ZL1 and mustang cobra have gotten insanely priced. Thoughts
Kinda in the eye of the beholder really. My '91 B4C RS may look like crap to some and I only paid 3k for it. But it's worth a fortune to me.

LSA + supercharger + tuning
Magnetic Ride
5 setting traction control (I think it's five)
F1 Supercars
Carbon Fiber
etc, etc,

Yeah, you could easily spend more than the 25k difference, getting it there. That's the great thing with these cars and the aftermarket; You can make it whatever you want to!

Now, the 1LE coming...... That, to me, puts the car back in the "I could swing that" category.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS

No seriously-- the answer to this is different for everyone...

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Looks like all that I was going to add has been added so I'm just adding this line to be a part of the conversation.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Thyshallsmite

Drives: 2011 Grand sport c6 corvette
Its kind of a crappy blower they put on it, new suspension is nice and new look, though if ya want look at it in the glass half full way, yeah they did just slap on a crappy blower and you can do better times with a better blow and coil-overs for under 10k. Also could get a pro-charger too and keep your mpg. Gm's cost on the zl1 vs the ss probably went up about 10k-15k though so its a decent value.
Thyshallsmite is offline   Reply With Quote