Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Make your concerns Known... GM Listens!

I have been the member of several concept to production car forums and this one is no different from those. Every one has had their complainers that the cars were not "Exactly Like" the Concept car. Concept cars are just that Concepts... Many things will not reach production just because either it would make the car economically unobtainable to the target buyers, or they won't pass safety requirments or are just to far out there to be practical.. But you have to remember until the final production version is released things will change. Believe it or not many of the changes are made because they were brought to their attention in forums like this. And even after they are released for production there will be running changes in the design to make it better.

I know as the owner of both a 2007 and 2008 Saturn Sky I saw the improvements they made even in the base car in the first year, and the changes were all made because of the complaints / suggestions of the owners and people on the Sky forums.

GM is watching and listening, and if they feel there are enough reasons to make a change then it will be made.
So all you guys and gals that don't like something about the car go ahead and mention it, but be diplomatic about it and not use derogatory terms.
The next change they make may be the one you first brought to the attention of GM.

So everyone I say enjoy this time, you will one day look back and see just what an influence you may have had on the design of the new Camaro, if not at first, then sometime during it's production.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I know as the owner of both a 2007 and 20008 Saturn Sky
some questions: How did you get it already and does it fly?

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
some questions: How did you get it already and does it fly?
oops, thats 2008..LOL:
and Yes it does fly or it seems like it can sometime just ask my wife!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
again, I think it's GM fault. If the concepts (GM and others) were "possible" cars, then they wouldn't have so much to change.

I don't like the idea to make people dream about a car and then build another.

I recognize that the camaro gets pretty close to the concept, however ...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
once again..."concept" is the key word here...I understand the thinking behind concepts, my only gripe with GM is that they take so damn long to release things. This car should have been out 2 years ago. We probably lost a lot of business due to the wait.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
again, I think it's GM fault. If the concepts (GM and others) were "possible" cars, then they wouldn't have so much to change.
That's not something you can hold against any automaker. Concepts ARE, and will always be "possible" cars. Look at BMW's cloth-skinned car as just one example.

GM put out the Concept Camaro in 2006, and basically said "What do you think?" (there was never a full-blown intention to build the car at that point. Only hopes...) For an answer, they got grown men crying amongst shrill cheers...so that was an obvious DO IT. And in August of that same year, GM declared it'd have to be brain dead not to produce the Camaro.

...fast forward 2 years, and here we are. 2008, and a Production vehicle that is nearly identical to the conept to the untrained eye. I don't see the problem?

However, Skyman is 100% right. They don't quit after production, they'll always be looking for ways to improve the car, each year. And they count on people here and other places to provide reviews of their new rides, and suggestions for improvements.
So suggest...don't complain.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
We don't know (as in, know for sure) enough about it to have concerns about anything other than how it looks, yet.

I personally will want to see lots of standalone options, instead of packages, and a base model that's not filled with expensive features. Can I complain about it yet? No, I have no idea what's REALLY going to be offered.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That's not something you can hold against any automaker. Concepts ARE, and will always be "possible" cars. Look at BMW's cloth-skinned car as just one example.

GM put out the Concept Camaro in 2006, and basically said "What do you think?" (there was never a full-blown intention to build the car at that point. Only hopes...) For an answer, they got grown men crying amongst shrill cheers...so that was an obvious DO IT. And in August of that same year, GM declared it'd have to be brain dead not to produce the Camaro.

...fast forward 2 years, and here we are. 2008, and a Production vehicle that is nearly identical to the conept to the untrained eye. I don't see the problem?

However, Skyman is 100% right. They don't quit after production, they'll always be looking for ways to improve the car, each year. And they count on people here and other places to provide reviews of their new rides, and suggestions for improvements.
So suggest...don't complain.
Additionally, it is hard to really figure out how many of the items on a concept are possible until later in the production cycle. GM had to evaluate costs and compare the Camaro to cars already in production and competing cars that will be in production soon. Then GM had to make compromises over the cost, and sometimes that means that headlights get downgraded or slits don't get cut in front of the back wheels. When the car costs $2M to hand build as a concept, no one expects it to show up in that condition for a small fraction of that cost in retail.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
When the car costs $2M to hand build as a concept, no one expects it to show up in that condition for a small fraction of that cost in retail.
Upsized for emphasis.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
Here's a suggestion...

Just make the lower grill match with the upper one. It doesn't matter what it looks like just as long as it looks like it was part of the design. I know that grill will most likely change but I thought I'd point it out anyways. In other words make it simialr to the 2008 CTS.

other than that, PERFECT vehicle!
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post

I don't like the idea to make people dream about a car and then build another.

I recognize that the camaro gets pretty close to the concept, however ...
As someone pointed out the Concept car is thrown out there to get public reaction to it. if it goes over great then studies are done to see if it is a possibility to place the car into production. Then and only then is it decided HOW the production car will be produced at a cost that can be afforded by the target buyers. Compromises have to be made sometimes to do that. Would you want a new Camaro to cost $100,000 dollars?
90 percent of Concept/Show cars never see production and 90 percent of the ones that do are no where near what the Concept car is like. Give GM credit. They are trying to keep as close as practical to the Concept. Look at the last few GM has put into production.. unless you place them side by side it is hard to tell the differences.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I guess some people understand what Concept means and others will always complain...

From Merriam-Websters dictionary

Main Entry: 1con·cept
Pronunciation: \ˈkän-ˌsept\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin conceptum, neuter of conceptus, past participle of concipere to conceive — more at conceive
Date: 1556
1 : something conceived in the mind : thought, notion
2 : an abstract or generic idea generalized from particular instances
synonyms see idea
Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I got a concern, GM needs its version of Chrysler's MyGIG and Ford's Sync multimedia systems, that will be hot

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
oh great my dad started posting again. lol.

like I said I have my things about the car but over all I enjoy what they've done. and the things I don't like I will change or hope GM changes later one. I have yet to complain about the placement of the chevy emblem or the reverse lights or even certain things with the interior. but over all it meshes well and I like it.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote