Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
Does computer update destroy the tune?

I happened across a discussion elsewhere in the forum regarding a computer update that was needed to solve a rough idle/CEL.

This made me wonder what would happen to me if I needed something similar (now have a Maggie and a Hennessey tune). Would a computer update mean that would have to go back to Hennessey for a reinstall of the tune?
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
depends what the update consits of, the dealer will see your aftermarket tune though so youll want to goo back to stock for the update then put tune back in.....
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
B-rad
Yellow Stealth

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro, 1999 WS6 Trans Am
Now that you have a tune from Hennessey and a maggie, I would forget about updates from GM. Your drivetrain warranty is gone now. As long as the car is working fine I would do nothing. If you have any issues, take it back to your tuner.
B-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Yes after market tunes will be written over if you go back to GM
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Agree... I never got the HVAC and PDI update and now I can't. The shop has my tune saved but not worth the trouble.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
I know that I no longer have the warranty option for the drivetrain, but am still curious about computer updates, should I ever need or want any.

Some thoughts:

- I wouldn't think that a hvac update would affect the tune (or be voided by my modifications).
- Something to consider maybe would be stopping by the dealership prior to my next visit to Hennessey, to request any updates for computer/hvac/radio/transmission/etc ? Of course, a list of updates would be nice to know!

I suppose that ideally Hennessey would get all of the updates and install them for me whenever I visit. I haven't asked if this is an option, does anyone know if the independent shops can get such updates?
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
Now that you have a tune from Hennessey and a maggie, I would forget about updates from GM. Your drivetrain warranty is gone now. As long as the car is working fine I would do nothing. If you have any issues, take it back to your tuner.
This is a false statement....

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act states that the warranty on any vehicle may not be voided due to an aftermarket part unless it can be proved that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to failure in the vehicle. Many dealers are accustomed to supporting enthusiasts. When considering vehicle purchase or warranty claims, attempt to work with a performance oriented dealership that has the reputation of working with customers.
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post
I know that I no longer have the warranty option for the drivetrain, but am still curious about computer updates, should I ever need or want any.

Some thoughts:

- I wouldn't think that a hvac update would affect the tune (or be voided by my modifications).
- Something to consider maybe would be stopping by the dealership prior to my next visit to Hennessey, to request any updates for computer/hvac/radio/transmission/etc ? Of course, a list of updates would be nice to know!

I suppose that ideally Hennessey would get all of the updates and install them for me whenever I visit. I haven't asked if this is an option, does anyone know if the independent shops can get such updates?
Always tell the dealer that you have a computer upgrade before any repair. That way you have made it noted and if they flash the computer, you are able to hold them responsible. Call us if you have any questions.

Speak to you soon,
James
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Beefman

Drives: 08 Landcruiser, 07 Denali,
Always ask James or any of the other "experts" at Hennessey. I had my car tuned with them and they are very supportive and have done a fantastic job on my vehicle.
Beefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post

Some thoughts:

There are certain updates(ie HVAC, Radio) that will have no effect on the custom tune you have in your car. You can have them updated with no problem having them performed. Just be sure to let the dealer know to not update anything to do with the engine, so they don't mess up your custom tune.
As far as updates for engine and transmission, you shouldn't need them. The tuner that did your custom tune has probably already addressed any issues that need improvement and a flash from the dealer wouldn't improve on anything anyways.(except non engine, tranny related items)such as HVAC, radio, etc.