Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #15
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
Based on what? I haven't seen a single thread with any data about IAT2 temps with the Heartbeat blower?
That's just my hypothesis, based on the fact that the heartbeat blower has 2 bigger intercoolers over the one small one the stocker has.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #16
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
I can tell you guys this and you can do with it as you please. I have the D3PE heat exchanger and the reservoir. It is a triple pass heat exchanger. I have the reservoir only to be able to check my fluids because checking and changing them in the ZL1 is a pain without it. That said, I can track my car for 20 mins and I have no problem opening the reservoir and sticking my hand into the fluid with the mixture I use. I just wouldn't do that with the stock heat exchanger. Yes, the weakest point for the SC cooling is the intercooler inside the blower (in regards to cooling the air that is passed through it). I've heard a few companies are looking at improving the one in there but I have yet to see any products to replace it. (I wouldn't be surprised if this solution involved a spacer for the lid and a larger blower intercooler)

The intercooler outside the blower however is the one that cools all the fluid period. The longer you can keep the fluid exposed to the cooler air at the front of the car, the cooler the fluid will be overall. And we all know the cooler the air is once it gets inside the cylinder before the spark the more horsepower the car can produce consistently. This is why a good CAI and intercooler work hand in hand on SC vehicles.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I just placed an order for the D3 reservoir, it seems like a great product. 5 Gallon capacity seems like a beast!. I hope it works well with the system and doesn't turn out to just become a pot of hot water lol. I order a super chiller system to work with it all so hopefully all goes well. I will post the outcome in about 3 weeks when all is installed.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I just placed an order for the D3 reservoir, it seems like a great product. 5 Gallon capacity seems like a beast!. I hope it works well with the system and doesn't turn out to just become a pot of hot water lol. I order a super chiller system to work with it all so hopefully all goes well. I will post the outcome in about 3 weeks when all is installed.
I would be very keen to know your before/after intake temps with just the addition of the D3 reservoir, post it up in this thread when you do so i dont miss it.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Emvici

ok O.N., I will do that, I know that the superchiller system I am getting comes with a digital read out for the chiller water so I will definitely be able to post that spec.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Quote:
ok O.N., I will do that, I know that the superchiller system I am getting comes with a digital read out for the chiller water so I will definitely be able to post that spec.
Would be more keen to see just what different the D3 alone makes if you can....i think there is quite a few phone apps you can get etc which can monitor temps and things for you.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
white ZL1

Quote:
Isn't that .5 gallon capacity?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
D3 and Lingenfelter are both quality pieces. The D3 holds slightly less than the Lingenfelter reservoir.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Emvici

I hope it is not a .5
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
Emvici

Wow White2ss/rs Thank you so much for pointing that out to me. The d3 website makes that "." so tiny I didn't notice it. So I had to cancle the order. Anyone know of a better reservoir that actual holds something of substance?.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #25
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
No data that a tank can help. You fail to point out that we are not boiling water we are cooling it and to cool it it's going to take longer. Just read JRE opinion on this and he also proved it by testing. Now you have to cool more water rather than less that can be cooled quicker. Tank is not any help, it may not hurt but no help unless you put ice in it and that is how some are made. Easy way to test is hook a data logger to the downstream side off the IC on the SC before you install tank and after. You we see no change on the LSA. The IC is just too small on the LSA for a tank to help. That is why a air to air works best. Some tanks are made to put ice in and they work good for drag racing. What good is a tank sitting inside a hot engine compartment? JRE sells tanks if you want one, but not much good on the LSA.

Does the tank made for drag racing have a seperate reservoir for ice, or is it
added directly to the coolant.
If there was a tank with say a internal coil that you could ice around
and the coolant pass thru that would be great for drag racing.
Is there any such tank, and if not could one be fabricated?
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #26
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
I hope it is not a .5
Yes it is 0.5 gallons, not 5.

5 gallons is the size of the water jug offices use for their water coolers.

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
Emvici

Thank you for the good humor Baylor, I needed that.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #28
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Is there any company that makes a better inter cooler for our LSA? Or is the factory one the biggest that can fit in there?
We have the D3 heat exchanger:

Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote