Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Suggestions before a tune?

So i am getting a tune soon and I have been reading on here a lot and I am trying to compile a list of things I want to make sure we do. Can people please add to/correct this list. Im sure a good tuner will know this stuff but I want to know it too.

Ive been trying to put ideas together of things i want to make sure they do.

1. Disable AFM
2. Set LTFT at high octane table and leave it
3. Adjust A/F ratio due to intake
4. Adjust torque management for aggressive "sport" mode
5. Check knock sensor sensitivity
6. Set fan to work at lower temp it hot in the south
7. anything they want to do to make my car faster
8. ????
Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
My only suggestion is to take it to someone that knows what they're doing or you might end up in the same boat as the guy from Oregon that couldn't get his to pass emissions.
Also, kiss that warranty goodbye.

Not saying that's a bad thing, just dont want to be reading a post in a couple months hearing how the dealer won't honor the warranty because you tuned it.

But you probably already know all of that...

Dyno before, Dyno after... Pics or it never happened!!
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
My only suggestion is to take it to someone that knows what they're doing or you might end up in the same boat as the guy from Oregon that couldn't get his to pass emissions.
Also, kiss that warranty goodbye.

Not saying that's a bad thing, just dont want to be reading a post in a couple months hearing how the dealer won't honor the warranty because you tuned it.

But you probably already know all of that...

Dyno before, Dyno after... Pics or it never happened!!
LOL i'll be sure to post pics, hopefully I can get my new gears in before I tune so I dont have to do it again in a month.

Yeah thats why im trying to find out and think of everything possible too. I am finding the best guy I can find but still like to be prepared.

No warranty, no worries.

Someone suggested street tune also...thoughts? I mean I guess the real test is how it drives. Do shops usually do that or is it extra?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Sharkss

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss/rs M6
most dyno tunes are WOT tuning, i know National speed and Carolina dyno is a load dyno so they can simulate some street conditions, but theres nothing like the real thing. driving around on the street will allow them to log fuel trims , knock etc and dial it in so you can get good drivablity and good WOT performance. this really plays into affect once you cam the car, the street tune will make or break the drivability side . just make sure tell them you want that done.
Sharkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Sharkss

the number one thing that will be night and day is the transmission tuning side of the tune. This is what REALLY wakes up the feel of a auto car. take torque managment off and bump line pressure a little . it will feel like a different ride !!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkss View Post
the number one thing that will be night and day is the transmission tuning side of the tune. This is what REALLY wakes up the feel of a auto car. take torque managment off and bump line pressure a little . it will feel like a different ride !!!!
Your just a wealth of knowledge huh sharkss lol. been talking to cyberbri about getting together sometime btw.

Cool, turn TM off, got it.

8. Bump line pressure
9. request street tune

left a message at carolina dyno, told em chilly (mike) sent me. waiting for a call back.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Sharkss

They are closed until monday they all are at the big PRI event in flordia, its like sema for just performance stuff and its only for buisness /performance type shops, not open to public. im sure they will be in contact with you soon. also tell them Matt " My name too" sent you there.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Sharkss

and just so you know , Carolina dyno reads lower than National speeds. Mine put down 422 at National speed and 400 at carolina dyno. Dont get to worried about dyno numbers run it at the track and watch Mph that will show the power the car is making e.t will depend on traction LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
They are closed until monday they all are at the big PRI event in flordia, its like sema for just performance stuff and its only for buisness /performance type shops, not open to public. im sure they will be in contact with you soon. also tell them Matt " My name too" sent you there.
Oh cool, i was wondering, i called twice. I'll tell em Matt sent me also, thanks.

Quote:
and just so you know , Carolina dyno reads lower than National speeds. Mine put down 422 at National speed and 400 at carolina dyno. Dont get to worried about dyno numbers run it at the track and watch Mph that will show the power the car is making e.t will depend on traction LOL
yeah I like to say the numbers wont bother me but once i see them I'll want them higher lol. Carolina dyno using a mustang dyno? Hopefully one of them puts a track day together soon but seeing as its cold...wont be much traction in this weather with my stock p zeros and 3.91 gears in an auto haha. have to grab some DRs one day.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Sharkss

we go to jacksonville pretty often for there test and tune . i think alot of us are going this sunday. gates open at 12:30 , racing starts at 1:00 and goes to 4:30-5:00. only about 45-60 miles away.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
we go to jacksonville pretty often for there test and tune . i think alot of us are going this sunday. gates open at 12:30 , racing starts at 1:00 and goes to 4:30-5:00. only about 45-60 miles away.
Oh thats goodo to know. You said we, are there more of us camaro enthusiasts in wilmington than I know or just car guys in general?

How much is the test and tune? Im still stock at the moment except the intake and cut outs but it will still be fun.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Sharkss

i meant 40-60 mintues away, not miles. and its $25 to race and i think $10 to just watch if you dont want to run. i have another buddie who has a black 2010 ss , but all my boys have all different rides. Vipers, Zo6, grand nationals, cobras, 1400whp talons, srt -4 , 350z nismo, 4th gen camaros , mustangs old and new 5.0s etc you get the picture , you name it someone has it.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Sharkss

my brother has 99 c5 vette with vortech supercharger on 12pounds of boost,and a few other goodies.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
i meant 40-60 mintues away, not miles. and its $25 to race and i think $10 to just watch if you dont want to run. i have another buddie who has a black 2010 ss , but all my boys have all different rides. Vipers, Zo6, grand nationals, cobras, 1400whp talons, srt -4 , 350z nismo, 4th gen camaros , mustangs old and new 5.0s etc you get the picture , you name it someone has it.
sounds like a good time man I may have to catch up with you for one of those soon.