Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #6889
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRSSS View Post
I'm sure I'm offending AT LEAST 2 future forum members, but an extra 20K for 150 hp?
Knock yourself out. No thanks. Yes I know, it has a cute hood and some other mods, bla, bla, but the whole ZL1 moniker stems from an ultra-rare edition of only 69 cars built in 1969. Mass-producing these plastic knock-offs is just . I recognize the engineering effort etc. but calling it a ZL1 is pure marketing BS.
Time for a movie quote: " There can be only ONE!"
If it was just a horse power inprovement I could not justify it, however with the added magnetic ride and other toys it seems cheap. I do not think the best that any of the modifiers can offer will even be close. For example look at the SLP line and when compared to the ZL1 you wonder how they sell any. If I could buy all the newer technology for the camaro I already have I would do that. After all it more than half paid for now.
Magnetic ride
Heads up display
back up camera
back up sensors
zl1 specific exhaust
Ability to kick a$$ at the ring

Granted you can make a lot more horse power for less than $56k however after you take out the $35 to $44k for your existing camaro you only have 22 to 12k for mods. I guarantee you can not duplicate the ZL1s preformance at any where close to this price. Obvioulsy if one was going to drag race only they should spend the $75k and buy the copo.
I personally may wait to order a 2013 convertible if I can not find a 2012 with availability. Mainly I want the warranty on all the go fast stuff. Obvioulsy there are many shops locally that can put out a very powerful car. Larry, Garth and Ted can all demonstrate that. I also here there is a vey powerful one down by you. Joe? maybe, have not met him yet. I personally have to many projects and project cars to do a ground up on my existing camaro so for my time it is cost effective to buy GMs version. Other camaro lovers probably have a different Idea. Sorry for the long read. Oh and by the way I saw your engine at the supercruise and was very impressed. I am thinking about the same type of intake on an LS1 in my 69 camaro. Thanks for the exchange. One more thing if I had an unending income I would buy one of the original zl1s as they are and always will be cooler..
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #6890
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
ro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
If it was just a horse power inprovement I could not justify it, however with the added magnetic ride and other toys it seems cheap. I do not think the best that any of the modifiers can offer will even be close. For example look at the SLP line and when compared to the ZL1 you wonder how they sell any. If I could buy all the newer technology for the camaro I already have I would do that. After all it more than half paid for now.
Magnetic ride
Heads up display
back up camera
back up sensors
zl1 specific exhaust

Granted you can make a lot more horse power for less than $56k however after you take out the $35 to $44k for your existing camaro you only have 22 to 12k for mods. I guarantee you can not duplicate the ZL1s preformance at any where close to this price. Obvioulsy if one was going to drag race only they should spend the $75k and buy the copo.
I personally may wait to order a 2013 convertible if I can not find a 2012 with availability. Mainly I want the warranty on all the go fast stuff. Obvioulsy there are many shops locally that can put out a very powerful car. Larry, Garth and Ted can all demonstrate that. I also here there is a vey powerful one down by you. Joe? maybe, have not met him yet. I personally have to many projects and project cars to do a ground up on my existing camaro so for my time it is cost effective to buy GMs version. Other camaro lovers probably have a different Idea. Sorry for the long read. Oh and by the way I saw your engine at the supercruise and was very impressed. I am thinking about the same type of intake on an LS1 in my 69 camaro. Thanks for the exchange. One more thing if I had an unending income I would buy one of the original zl1s as they are and always will be cooler..
I was hoping to stir up a little more trouble than that. Points well taken, but some of the stuff you listed is basic 2SS stuff on 2011's and later. The car has all the goodies stolen off of the CTS-V and stuffed onto a Camaro, plus the new diff. For me, it's not just about the price tag, it's the heritage. RS and SS names being re-hashed is no biggie. GM has to make a buck, just like Ford and Dodge with their "retro" versions. ZL-1 is just a near sacred term, and I've never been a big Chevy guy...so my point of view isn't from 30 years of Chevy-bowtie madness. I've always been more of a Mopar or Ford guy anyways. I like what Chevy did with this new Camaro so I bought it, and alot of that decision was also based on how much I could change the car right out of the gate to make it unique. Next thing you know, they'll put out a friggin Yenko or Dick Harrell special and that'll make me have to pop a gasket for real! lol

:mad0 260:
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #6891
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Magnetic ride
Heads up display
back up camera
back up sensors
zl1 specific exhaust

Nicely put pumpkinrancho. I totally agree that you would be hard pressed to build something that can compete on a road course with the ZL1 for the price it comes in at.

Quote:
ro

I was hoping to stir up a little more trouble than that. Points well taken, but some of the stuff you listed is basic 2SS stuff on 2011's and later. The car has all the goodies stolen off of the CTS-V and stuffed onto a Camaro, plus the new diff. For me, it's not just about the price tag, it's the heritage. RS and SS names being re-hashed is no biggie. GM has to make a buck, just like Ford and Dodge with their "retro" versions. ZL-1 is just a near sacred term, and I've never been a big Chevy guy...so my point of view isn't from 30 years of Chevy-bowtie madness. I've always been more of a Mopar or Ford guy anyways. I like what Chevy did with this new Camaro so I bought it, and alot of that decision was also based on how much I could change the car right out of the gate to make it unique. Next thing you know, they'll put out a friggin Yenko or Dick Harrell special and that'll make me have to pop a gasket for real! lol

:mad0 260:
I agree with your points about the naming for the ZL1 But not on your first point about the $20K price for just a HP increase. The advanced engineering that's gone into the new ZL1 is just crazy for the $55K price point. Build a GT500 with all the track ready stuff and you'll easily be paying $6-8K more
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #6892
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
"Next thing you know, they'll put out a friggin Yenko or Dick Harrell special and that'll make me have to pop a gasket for real! lol"

Sorry to say....you can buy a "new" Yenko Camaro from Yenko right now.
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #6893
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

YENKO..and someZL-not-1 bashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Sorry to say....you can buy a "new" Yenko Camaro from Yenko right now.
That is truly disgusting!! Might be time to bring some torches....It better at least have a 427 in it...

Oh, and I didn't get a chance to copy\paste the other reply to my ZL-not-1 bashing in here, but the ZL-not-1 will suffer the same fate as the Shelby that was mentioned in that you will be able to buy "all that engineering" ( ALL OF IT stolen from the CTS-V--suspension, motor and brakes...so the Cadillac line should have recouped all the engineering costs by now) for about 30K a mere three years from now. They will depreciate like a rock, like anything else. You can't buy a classic.
The ZL-1, the real one, was built to be a drag car, while the Z28 was the road race car, so yet another F-up by the Chevy crew to carry on the proper heritage. If it's supposed to be a bad-a$$ Nuerburgring car, then maybe pay homage to the Z28, which was indeed a mass produced car available to grandmas and grandpas alike...not a ZL1. The boys at Ford brought back the Boss, and it's a road race car, so at least somebody bothered to read their own company's history books.
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #6894
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Yenko Camaro

I just checked, and it looks like the YENKO is at least made by Nickey in Chicago and does indeed have a 427, so that's at least some good news. Still missing the correct hood for the complete Yenko look, but I always find something to bitch about!
There is the matter of the $85,000 price tag too, so that's a big ouch.
That's super-car money..almost.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #6895
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
I already did. They are sold. I found them on cars.com are they actually advertising them in print. Talk about bait and switch...
..did see another in Blair, NE. That's probably spoken for too
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #6896
RamGrad

Drives: '11 2LT/RS Vert, '68 Chevy C10
Well everyone, about an hour ago, on the south side of Fort Collins I did get a ticket for no front plate. It is only $25 and no points, however just like I thought, the CSP officer did not think it was funny when I asked if I could pay in advance for the next one. I honestly didnt mean it as a joke or to be a smart ass, I would gladly pay $40 or $50 a year not to have a front plate. So I am on a mission to find a deal on a show & go...
RamGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6897
walhan_qtr
..[ Z06-QTR ]..

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS RS M6/ 07 C6 Z06
Send a message via MSN to walhan_qtr Send a message via Yahoo to walhan_qtr Send a message via Skype™ to walhan_qtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGrad View Post
Well everyone, about an hour ago, on the south side of Fort Collins I did get a ticket for no front plate. It is only $25 and no points, however just like I thought, the CSP officer did not think it was funny when I asked if I could pay in advance for the next one. I honestly didnt mean it as a joke or to be a smart ass, I would gladly pay $40 or $50 a year not to have a front plate. So I am on a mission to find a deal on a show & go...
sorry to hear about your ticket... lived here for 5 years never got a ticket for no front plate. all my cars comes with no front plate! I guess I am lucky (not really lol)

you can buy the remote controlled plate but it wont work very well with some aftermarket lips.
- 10 Black Camaro LS3, 2SS/RS, H/C/I, bolt-ons, Spec. (470whp/450wtq).
- 07 Black Corvette C6(SOLD).
- 98 White/Red Corvette C5(SOLD).

walhan_qtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #6898
SynergyMike

Drives: 2012 2SS Synergy Edition, 1979 Z-28
We have 4 vehicles in our family and none of them with front plates. We've been in Colorado for 7 years now and so far no tickets. However, with that said, we've probably just been lucky and it will be a matter of time before one of us gets busted. I may do something if and when that happens..

2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS Synergy Camaro
All stock (so far..)

1979 Camaro Z-28
Sub-frame off resto-mod, Holley Avenger EFI, 355 roller-cammed small-block, TH-400, Flowmaster exhaust
SynergyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #6899
wontsellit

Drives: IOM
Like they always say about ride a motorcycle it's not if you have an accident....it's when.
Just expect to run into an LEO who's a little pissy and BAM!
wontsellit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #6900
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Reminder of Camaro Club of the Rockies Club Photo at Bandimere Speedway

Facebook link to event on Camaro Club of the Rockies Page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/189510221159684/

Tomarrow is still on at Bandimere (Sat 4/4/12). NO COST FOR SPECTATORS. I just spoke with someone at Bandimere to ensure no glitches. Event is scheduled for 8, GATES OPEN AT 7:30am. We'll be meeting in the upper pitting area, so enter at the racer entry booths on south side of public parking lot. Make sure to tell them if your racing or not, and that you are parking in the upper area for a club photo. If any problems getting up there, call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX and someone will come down to the gate. I PLAN ON BEING AT THE GATE AT 7AM (to get up there 1st and clarify with gate person what's going on). From what I've read, for the racers, tech starts about 8:30A and track goes Hot at 9:30-10 timeframe. So we'll want to complete pictures early. Derek is showing up with his Grandparents to help with the photo too and keep the car #s higher.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood

Last edited by Blue70SS; 11-12-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #6901
wontsellit

Drives: IOM
Anyone have a Zl1 coming?
wontsellit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #6902
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Planning to get a 2013 ZL1. Wanted to wait for more features from the beginning. I got a 2010 SS right away and wished I would have had more patience back then. So this time I decided to wait.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro