Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #26
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_chevr...n_daytona.html

Found this out on the web......

Chevrolet says that among the cars at the track this weekend, the Z/28.R will be one of the closest to production spec, with the car sharing aero, engine, and drivetrain components with its production counterpart. The race car was developed alongside the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, and as such uses the same aero package as the production model for downforce and grip. That package includes the front splitter, rear spoiler with wickerbill, rocker panel trim, wheel-house extensions, front tire deflectors, belly pan, and hood extractor vent. The Z/28.R also uses the same 7.0-liter LS7 V-8 as the production model, along with the road-going car's helical-gear limited-slip rear differential."Apart from series-mandated equipment and the specialized suspension needed for endurance racing, the Z/28.R is as close to a production-spec race car as you'll find," said director of racing for Chevrolet Mark Kent in a release.Two teams will campaign the Z/28.R in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge series, including Stevenson Motorsports and CKS Autosport. Both teams formerly ran Camaro SS-based GS.R racers, with Stevenson finishing second in the championship last year. The Z/28.R will make its racing debut at the 2.5-hour endurance race at Daytona on Friday, January 24, and you can catch the car throughout the series' 12-race calendar.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_chevr...#ixzz2rOEC1JDs

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #27
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
I have to ask, are these real deal Z/28s or just Camaro bodies with body trim and racing parts?, I'm asking is this becasue the teams raced Camaro's before and aside from the front lip, i don't see Z/28 any where? Even on their web and facebook pages, I saw no mention of Z/28s?

Heck I do see SS on the grills of the Pictures from Stevenson?
It's not quite the same car. While it shares the body and driveline, the suspension is different and so is the brake package. It is also detuned to around the HP limit for the class which is 400 +/- a few ponies.

The Camaro seemed to suffer on the straights, but seemed to do well on the infield section. The Porsches continue to dominate as they have since it's introduction despite repeated "competition adjustments". I continue to scream "SANDBAGGING!" but since I'm stuck yelling that at the TV, no one hears me.

The BMW dominance wasn't really a surprise as they came on strong at the end of last season at COTA after getting a break on the restrictions they had. Despite the finishing order, the Porsche was obviously faster, even on the oval. Aston Martin won't really be a threat this year as Multimatic has gone back to Ford this year, so there aren't any top tier teams fielding an Aston.

The Mustang Boss 302 being on pole was a surprise, even to Multimatic, as it's now the oldest platform in the class, and I'm sure the focus for Multimatic is on developing the new Mustang platform which is scheduled to debut in August on the track.

Hopefully GM gets through the teething issues, which I think they will since the GS.R from last year was looking pretty strong, especially at Indy.

This is why I love the Continental series, a little politics, but damn good racing!

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #28
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
I was led to believe that the wrecked Camaro was not a Z/28 but a GS.R version instead after looking at the front end grill after the accident. It is a standard SS grill and not a Z/28 version.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #29
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

The Camaro race cars have never had a great showing at Daytona from what I was led to believe due to aero drag of the recessed head lamps area and the wide front end which in the past also contributed to lift in the front end. That's why the GT Camaro had flush head lamps setup to name a few things to help them out since the cars are much larger than the others.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #30
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

The 00 Camaro GS.R was noted here in a after action report on GM's website.
http://media.gm.com/content/product/...n/bowtie3.html
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #31
Southern Comfort
No Tags Habitual Offender

Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was led to believe that the wrecked Camaro was not a Z/28 but a GS.R version instead after looking at the front end grill after the accident. It is a standard SS grill and not a Z/28 version.
My bad - went back and corrected my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
The 00 Camaro GS.R was noted here in a after action report on GM's website.
http://media.gm.com/content/product/...n/bowtie3.html
Great info there - Thank you!

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #32
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
I had a quick conversation with the driver for the 01 car. He said the bodies are pre production Z28s from the factory and that car was 4 days old... the blue Stevenson car 09 had difficulties early on and had to hit the garage... but one he got back on track he was making up ground. But I don't think he ever made it back to the lead lap... at least that's how it looked from the stands.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #33
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

I think the 9 car finished 6 lapse down after getting more than 7 or more lapse down due to the fuel line issue at the start of the race.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #34
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I had a quick conversation with the driver for the 01 car. He said the bodies are pre production Z28s from the factory and that car was 4 days old... the blue Stevenson car 09 had difficulties early on and had to hit the garage... but one he got back on track he was making up ground. But I don't think he ever made it back to the lead lap... at least that's how it looked from the stands.
Thanks. From the broadcast it looked kinda cold there so I hope you had plenty of anti-freeze.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #35
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
My bad - went back and corrected my post.

Great info there - Thank you!
No problem, just glad I could help.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Why do Z/28R's have different brakes for this racing instead of the factory Brembo's?
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #37
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Why do Z/28R's have different brakes for this racing instead of the factory Brembo's?
That and anything else changed is due to the Continental Series rules. Brakes, 18" wheels/tires, etc. Like most racing venues they have to make the different "makes" competitive for racing. Obviously the BMW's have a little extra. However as pointed out the Z/28 is closer than most of the others to the street car.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #38
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That and anything else changed is due to the Continental Series rules. Brakes, 18" wheels/tires, etc. Like most racing venues they have to make the different "makes" competitive for racing. Obviously the BMW's have a little extra. However as pointed out the Z/28 is closer than most of the others to the street car.
Does that mean the factory Brembo brakes constituted an unfair advantage for the Z/28's, and had to be by rule, regulated off the car to level the playing field?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #39
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
First race with obvious teething problems. The driver stated in the interview it was more of a test run. They plan on using Sebring to be more dialed in hopefully. BMW's looked strong. Porsche sandbagging? No, never in a million years. The Camaro's just didn't look right on the banking. It will all get sorted out. I'm glad I'm able to watch the series.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #40
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Pointed out where? From GM marketing material? Besides the LS7, the aerodynamic package and the rear end, everything else (brakes, tires, suspension, transmission) has been changed. Take those things away, and it seems like it's less like the street version than the others. It does have the a/c and radio delete, so there's that...
chain777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #41
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Does that mean the factory Brembo brakes constituted an unfair advantage for the Z/28's, and had to be by rule, regulated off the car to level the playing field?
What it simply means is they don't fall within their rules. I would guess they are superior to the ones allowed.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Pointed out where? From GM marketing material? Besides the LS7, the aerodynamic package and the rear end, everything else (brakes, tires, suspension, transmission) has been changed. Take those things away, and it seems like it's less like the street version than the others. It does have the a/c and radio delete, so there's that...
Not interested.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #43
Mikebrinda

Quote:
What it simply means is they don't fall within their rules. I would guess they are superior to the ones allowed.
I can understand the need for establishing some race-class parity with regards to your ability to "Go," but I wonder why they (whoever 'they' are) feel the need for any such regulation when it comes to your ability to brake/stop?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #44
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
I can understand the need for establishing some race-class parity with regards to your ability to "Go," but I wonder why they (whoever 'they' are) feel the need for any such regulation when it comes to your ability to brake/stop?
I agree. Let them go for it. If your not competitive make the changes to be.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
First race with obvious teething problems. The driver stated in the interview it was more of a test run. They plan on using Sebring to be more dialed in hopefully. BMW's looked strong. Porsche sandbagging? No, never in a million years. The Camaro's just didn't look right on the banking. It will all get sorted out. I'm glad I'm able to watch the series.
Yeah didn't expect much in this race. It can sometimes take a whole season to get where you want to be. I'm sure they'll get there faster than that.

It's still awesome seeing it compete.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #46
trackguy

Drives: Grand-Am GSII #54 E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
It's not quite the same car. While it shares the body and driveline, the suspension is different and so is the brake package.
Correct. You can't go racing with an OEM suspension and brake package - they're simply not the proper tools for professional racing, especially on a high-speed circuit like Daytona.

(Went back and noted my mistakes re: the #00 CKS Autosport entry being a Z/28.R. Sorry for any confusion.)
trackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #47
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackguy View Post
Correct. You can't go racing with an OEM suspension and brake package - they're simply not the proper tools for professional racing, especially on a high-speed circuit like Daytona.

(Went back and noted my mistakes re: the #00 CKS Autosport entry being a Z/28.R. Sorry for any confusion.)
Can you help me understand why the standard Brembo brakes on the factory Z/28 would not be proper tools for professional racing?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #48
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Because this an entry level series and they need to keep it relatively affordable.

Carbon ceramic brakes are very expensive,I think they are a 15K option on the TT Porsche.

I personally think they should be allowed to run anything the factory production car has.

The easiest way to even the playing field is with weight and air restrictors.

Get them all on the same chassis dyno the same day and go from there.
12.2 at 110
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #49
Southern Comfort
No Tags Habitual Offender

Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Might be as simple as an 18" wheel won't clear the caliper set up for a 19" wheel

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #50
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Can you help me understand why the standard Brembo brakes on the factory Z/28 would not be proper tools for professional racing?
Only because they aren't allowed by the rule book.

In this case they are more than sufficient.

Crap the brakes on the 4th gen were good enough with just a pad upgrade.
12.2 at 110
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote