Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #197
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
After 8 pages the 2LS-is-a-dog stigma still persists. Yet everything I've read and experienced consistently puts the 1/4 mile times in the same class as the manual V6s. On the first page it still states that a 2LS is a 14.8 second car.

So i can't go over 118 MPH; I'll live with that. But i can't help but think the bias was solely based on axle ratio alone. Lets see: 3.27 vs 2.92 but the automatics converter being a torque multiplier....

Well, unless folks here are forging time slips the proofs there.
I can't make sense of most of your post, but I'll attempt a response anyway.

Nowhere in this thread is it claimed that the 2LS is a "dog." I posted that the 2LS 1/4 mile time is 14.8 seconds on the first page because that is the official published time from Chevrolet. If you want to claim "bias," I guess you should bitch to Chevy.

If you want me to change the listed 1/4 mile time based on timeslips posted here on the forum, you're going to be disappointed. There are far too many variables involved in individual runs (different drivers under different conditions with different mods, etc.).

And I have no idea what your "torque multiplier" comment means. Are you saying the auto trans in the 2LS helps make up for the gearing difference vs. the 1LS? What about the auto trans in an LT car with 3.27 gears then? Wouldn't it be faster yet? Please clarify.

If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize. However, to be clear: This thread does not exist to belittle the 2LS, but instead to provide information on how it is different from the other V6 models.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #198
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
The converter is a torque multiplier depending on engine rpm. This is why drag racers tend to run higher stall speed converters and it directly impacts your 60 foot times. As the fluid velocity increases in speed at some point you do achieve 1:1 ratio but at lower rpm its typical to see 2.5:1 ratio. This means that 250 ft pounds of engine torque transfer for brief periods to 625 pounds going into the transmission. So yes auto's can runner a higher gear like 2.92 and lose nothing in performance over a manual and 3.27s.

I've found nothing on what ratio the LS converters make but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3:1.

And no apology necessary. I suspect GM new the cars were faster than stated knowing that they were probably going to sell more of the LS2s and wanted to keep them off the insurance companies radar.

Last edited by xstuntman; 07-11-2014 at 12:37 AM.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #199
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
The converter is a torque multiplier depending on engine rpm. This is why drag racers tend to run higher stall speed converters and it directly impacts your 60 foot times. As the fluid velocity increases in speed at some point you do achieve 1:1 ratio but at lower rpm its typical to see 2.5:1 ratio. This means that 250 ft pounds of engine torque transfer for brief periods to 625 pounds going into the transmission. So yes auto's can runner a higher gear like 2.92 and lose nothing in performance over a manual and 3.27s.

I've found nothing on what ratio the LS converters make but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3:1.

And no apology necessary. I suspect GM new the cars were faster than stated knowing that they were probably going to sell more of the LS2s and wanted to keep them off the insurance companies radar.
Ok, so that torque converter information begs this question: If the automatic LTs run the same transmission as the 2LS, but with a 3.27 differential, wouldn't they be substantially faster than the manual V6s and the 2LS, based on your torque converter information?

I don't believe that evidence exists, and don't think Chevy would intentionally underreport one model's performance vs another, when the difference is solely rear end gearing.

Another consideration WRT the 2LS 0-60 time is the lack of Sport Mode. I'm not sure the impact it has on times, but would think it affects them at least slightly.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #200
2LS14

Drives: 2014 2LS
I raced a 1LT and beat him the other day. I think the 2.92 gears gave me the edge from the red light.
2LS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #201
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LS14 View Post
I raced a 1LT and beat him the other day. I think the 2.92 gears gave me the edge from the red light.
that's cool..did your tune give you sportmode? I think I recall you having Ipf.
And did you tap shift? Or sportsmode if you have it?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #202
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LS14 View Post
Surely you are not saying you were street racing, that's a no-no on here.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #203
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
I have a 2ls an raced a 1LT two days ago.all I have is a intake.he was stock, so I gave him a car an the hit.i thought I was going to catch him but couldnt. 2nd race with a flag man I took him out the whole an beat him by 2 cars....
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #204
Midlifecysis

Drives: camaro ls v6 auto
No big deal...... if your ok with not being the fastest car on the road....... i have a 2ls and its a fast car especially when you compare it to even top of the the line sports cars of 70s, 80s and 90s..... our new camaros ours are top notch......... i had a 1979 vette and 79 t/a both cool cars and fast for their day but my v6 LS beats them ride comfort handling performance and not to mention mileage you get is light years away from our old carbed cars when your at highway speeds
Midlifecysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #205
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
I'm swapping those gears out 3.91s!!! Going to make car a sleeper . Those 2.90 gears are not cutting it. Lol

My friends with v8 ' s think I have a shit load of work in my car by the way the intake sounds. Some say I have turbos.an call his buddy with a vette to race me lol
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #206
kidhauler

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Silver Ice Metallic
Sure wish I'd seen this thread before buying my '14 2LT. It probably wouldn't have changed my decision but at least I wouldn't have been surprised. I don't race and this is my DD. Too many traffic jams to hassle with a manual. Really the only thing I'm pissed about is the LSD delete. It can really come in handy during these New England winters.

I do want to come in with my observations on manual mode. I can shift with the paddles while in D. However it won't let me shift into too high a gear. If I'm doing 40 and try to upshift to 6tha message pops up saying "shift denied". So you can't bog the engine. Other than that, once you understand how it works I find the whole thing quite workable.

-Dennis-

Last edited by kidhauler; 11-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.
kidhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #207
kidhauler

Sure wish I'd seen this thread before buying my '14 2LT. It probably wouldn't have changed my decision but at least I wouldn't have been surprised. I don't race and this is my DD. And i sit in too many traffic jams to hassle with a manual. Really the only thing I'm pissed about is the LSD delete. It can really come in handy during these New England winters. Oh well, my G8 didn't have one either so I'll live.

I do want to come in with my observations on manual mode. I can shift with the paddles while in D. However it won't let me shift into too high a gear. If I'm doing 40 and try to upshift to 6tha message pops up saying "shift denied". So you can't bog the engine. Other than that, once you understand how it works I find the whole thing quite workable.

-Dennis-

Last edited by kidhauler; 11-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.
kidhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #208
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
Sure wish I'd seen this thread before buying my '14 2LS. It probably wouldn't have changed my decision but at least I wouldn't have been surprised. I don't race and this is my DD. Too many traffic jams to hassle with a manual. Really the only thing I'm pissed about is the LSD delete. It can really come in handy during these New England winters.

-Dennis-
If it makes you feel any better Dennis, the lack of LSD isn't specific to the 2LS. All the V6 automatics don't have it, including my 2LT.

Regarding the paddle shifting, you may have some control in that you can change the top gear the engine automatically shifts to, but unless things changed in the '14 model year, it's still ERS and not Tapshift. It may seem like semantics, and if it works for you and you enjoy it, it doesn't matter.

Depending on how/when you activate the paddles, ERS can mimic Tapshift, but an easy test is to be stopped, shifter in "M", and use the paddles. Try up shifting to say, 4th gear. Does the DIC show 4? If so, and you leave it there and drive away without touching the paddles anymore, does the transmission shift on its own up to 4?

I'm curious what you find.

The 2LS is still a great car. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #209
kidhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Try up shifting to say, 4th gear. Does the DIC show 4? If so, and you leave it there and drive away without touching the paddles anymore, does the transmission shift on its own up to 4?

I'm curious what you find.
When stopped in 'D' it won't shift when I hit the paddles. When stopped in 'M' it will. It won't allow me to shift above 2nd and gives me the "shift denied" message. The DIC does shows M2. When I take off it is actually in 2nd and holds that gear as expected.

Taking off in 2nd is very useful when in snow and I used it quite a bit in the G8 when the roads were bad. Nice to know it works like this in the Camaro too.

Quote:
The 2LS is still a great car. Hope you enjoy it.
Oh I am. I've had it for a week and have >600 miles on it already. Nothing but permagrin here.

-Dennis-
Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #210
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhauler View Post
When stopped in 'D' it won't shift when I hit the paddles. When stopped in 'M' it will. It won't allow me to shift above 2nd and gives me the "shift denied" message. The DIC does shows M2. When I take off it is actually in 2nd and holds that gear as expected.

Taking off in 2nd is very useful when in snow and I used it quite a bit in the G8 when the roads were bad. Nice to know it works like this in the Camaro too.

Oh I am. I've had it for a week and have >600 miles on it already. Nothing but permagrin here.

-Dennis-
With all the options available for the 2ls nowadays such as the HP tune and , two much to even name and now the viteese throttle controller !!!!!!!!! having an 2ls is almost the best way to go.. You get the same as the other v6s and BETTER GAS MILEAGE. so don't sweat that 2ls Shit them days are over. And so is this entire thread