Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Storing for winter

I know it's not here yet but winter is fast approaching! I for one am storing my Camaro for the winter probably November through April. Just wondering what everyone else is doin in terms of preparation for storage.

I am thinking a good wash in and out, gas tank filled with a gas stabilizer, battery tender and car cover in a heated garage. Anything else I should be doing to prep my baby for a happy hibernation?

As far as car covers go I'm thinking of just buying the OEM Camaro car cover, fits like a glove looks cool but its pricey. crateenginedepot.com sells them for just under 300USD plus shipping. Anyone think I should go a different route?

Any opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

-Nick
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
Yes, most of us store it too!!

Don't forget to read it a bedtime story....
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
06blownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar'n'spice View Post
Yes, most of us store it too!!

Don't forget to read it a bedtime story....
omg...how can I be so careless! of course a bedtime story would be a must!

I think this would be a good one:

Camaro...Why Mustangs Fear The Night

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=mustangs+fear
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blownSS View Post
I know it's not here yet but winter is fast approaching! I for one am storing my Camaro for the winter probably November through April. Just wondering what everyone else is doin in terms of preparation for storage.

I am thinking a good wash in and out, gas tank filled with a gas stabilizer, battery tender and car cover in a heated garage. Anything else I should be doing to prep my baby for a happy hibernation?

As far as car covers go I'm thinking of just buying the OEM Camaro car cover, fits like a glove looks cool but its pricey. crateenginedepot.com sells them for just under 300USD plus shipping. Anyone think I should go a different route?

Thanks!

-Nick
You've covered all the basis for storage, however, the battery tender is personal choice. Last year, all I did was disconnect the negative terminal, wrap it up so it doesn't touch any metal, and had NO ISSUES, come spring time; it started right up, and the computers in our cars hold everything in memory. The only thing I had to reset was the clock, and NOTHING ELSE.

If you're looking for a GREAT QUALITY car cover (Canadian Made) check this link, and speak to Marsha, tell her you're from the forum, and that Frank sent you! I get no kickbacks, just like to spread the word about EXCELLENT CANADIAN MADE PRODUCTS!
Many other forum members from all over North America have bought covers from Hugger Covers, and have been very pleased.

http://www.huggercovers.com/

Last edited by SQUALO; 09-17-2010 at 05:30 AM.
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
i use a dustop from covercraft.
amazing for indoors.
if you plan to have one for outdoors, weathershield is better than stock gm cover.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
06blownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
You've covered all the basis for storage, however, the battery tender is personal choice. Last year, all I did was disconnect the negative terminal, and had NO ISSUES, come spring time; it started right up, and the computers in our cars hold everything in memory. The only thing I had to reset was the clock, and NOTHING ELSE.

If you're looking for a GREAT QUALITY car cover (Canadian Made) check this link, and speak to Marsha, tell her you're from the forum, and that Frank sent you! I get no kickbacks, just like to spread the word about EXCELLENT CANADIAN MADE PRODUCTS!
Many other forum members from all over North America have bought covers from Hugger Covers, and have been very pleased.

Thanks Frank! I emailed Marsha and used your name! We'll see what she quotes me.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
You've covered all the basis for storage, however, the battery tender is personal choice. Last year, all I did was disconnect the negative terminal, and had NO ISSUES, come spring time; it started right up, and the computers in our cars hold everything in memory. The only thing I had to reset was the clock, and NOTHING ELSE.

Can you just disconnect the + cable under the hood instead...

Quote:

Thanks!

-Nick
That's exactly what I did last year...Dec. 8 to Mar. 8.
All Season Hugger cover for under $300
Attached Images

Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
Can you just disconnect the + cable under the hood instead...
That didn't even cross my mind, I just did what I used to do with my '80 Vette, and it always worked well. Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start, under the hood.

Last edited by SQUALO; 09-17-2010 at 05:29 AM.
SQUALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Beehave

Drives: 2010 Yellow/Black 2SS LS3
Quote:

Thanks!

-Nick
Sounds like a good plan for hibernation.

My 2 cents worth. A couple things I do with my motorcycle, including what you identified, are, keeping the tires off the ground, fogging the motor, and capping the ends of the exhaust. Your concern with is always the extreme temperature changes...so if your garage is insulated and the doors are not open often, then really not much prep is needed.

Another concern is rodents..keep them out of everywhere, I have seen them wreck paint by getting in under the cover and nesting ...on top of lots of other stories. I watch during late fall and ensure the doors are not left open without me around, they scurry in from anywhere. Another tip is keep the floor clean, then you can see their droppings and act on it.

Good luck. And your baby will be fine!
Beehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
camarorick

Drives: .
You need to be careful if you disconnect the positive cable in the engine compartment. The cable is live, and could cause a huge problem if it was to get in contact with a ground source .... I would recommend disconnecting the ground cable in the trunk, and rigging up an extension rope to the emergency release in the trunk... This way in the spring you'll be able to open the trunk without being a contortionist

Myself, I fill the tank, wash ( in/out ), put extra air in the tires, and park it sans cover ( It's in my heated garage ). I like to sit in it once in a while, and smell that leather.... Maybe fire it up, and back into my driveway too ..... Been doing this for decades
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Zdrrguy
Resident "Fbody" Member

Drives: 2010 2LT RS & 91 Camaro V8 RS
Send a message via Skype™ to Zdrrguy
Quote:
Thanks Frank! I emailed Marsha and used your name! We'll see what she quotes me.
Your on the right track with the Storage prep Blown! another thing is ideal for storage is go buy a half sheet of 2" foam insulation and cut into squares and set them up under your 4 tires, helps with the tires going out of round

I will second Frank about Marsha at Huggers, best $300 I spent for an outdoor cover!

Mark

CCFBG-1 1991 Camaro RS Phantom Grey/CCFBG 2-2010 2LT RS Black on Black
Mark....President/Founder of www.CCFBG.com
Zdrrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
i will 3rd it, get a cover from Marsha, they fit really nice and lot cheaper than factory one.....check out my pics, if you cant find them email me i will send you some on how well it fits....
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
06blownSS

Thanks for all the responses guys! I am currently in contact with hugger covers, I'm thinking of getting a colored indoor cover (just to look cool lol) the car will never see winter so an indoor cover should be ok. All this talk about storing is really depressing tho
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
06blownSS

well I just got off the phone with Marsha from Hugger Covers and wow what a nice woman! I placed my order with her for the indoor/outdoor matrix car cover. $319 plus shipping and taxes, not cheap but exceptional service and from others here who have purchased from them really a top notch product as well. I mentioned I heard of them from camaro5 and being camaro enthusiasts themselves they threw in the cover's carrying bag at no charge! Once again thanks to those of you who posted here my car will have a nicer winter than I will thats for sure!