Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
A BMW twin turbo 6 Banger anything is a more confidence inspiring ride, meaning you can track it alot faster. You actually feel that you are one with the road. Smoothness and predictability all hallmarks of BMW handling and is a whole different level of refinement, not to mention, fit and finish.

A Camaro or even a C6 Vette is a thrilling ride, but is akin to shaving with a chainsaw in comparison. (ZO6 notwithstanding). For cruising, there is nothing like them though. Thats why the old lady drives the Beemie and I drive the musclecars. On a long trip through the mountains, its Bimmer all the way
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
I had to make this choice, I've owned a few gm's and bmw's. It was one of three cars, the current m3, 335i, or the 135i, or the e46 m3, vs the camaro, the interior and size pushed me into the 135i or the e46 m3, after driving both I went with the 135i. The camaro was vs the e46 m3 and 135i in the end, but the camaro was too big, and I dislike the dash. I had a hard time deciding between the two bmw's I did not rule out, but ended up with the 135i and I love it

First autocross was sunday, everyone needs to try it, it's very very fun and you'll be a better driver because of it. It will give you new respect on how fast things happen at even 50mph very good skills to have on the road, and you'll learn just how fast you can stop and turn on the road. Top speed for me at this event was ~60mph, I was in 2nd gear the entire time, just 1 shift. The vette pro's were hitting rev limiters on that straight, I did not see a single camaro, but there were a lot of vetts

Oldest son, wife and myself, youngest was taking the pictures

mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
fever_08

Drives: '08 M3
if you buy the 135i with the 'M' package, the suspension is tuned different which eliminates much of the body roll. Add a tune for about $1500 to pull the horspower up to the 370 mark, and you would surprise a lot of camaro owners. (some tunes ie Dinan are warranty happy as well).
fever_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS2, 2001 BMW M5
A friend at work has a BMW 135, I got a chance to drive it for about 2 hours and it is sweet. I got my SS 6M about a month ago and am resisting the urge to lean on it hard until it is broken in, but it still feels faster.

However, I think the better comparison to the SS is the older style E39 M5, it is a V-8 400 HP Beast. I have a 2001 M5 that I have driven for the last 4 year. It has not left my garage since I got the SS.

I really like both of these cars, the SS is much cheaper to mod while the M5 is lighter and more agile.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/RS View Post
I really like both of these cars, the SS is much cheaper to mod while the M5 is lighter and more agile.
I would agree with more agile...but not 'lighter'....
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
I was surprised the BMW didn't handle better, and go worse, vs. Camaro in the new MotorTrend Driver's Car review.

I saw that in the Hennessey Camaro, they lower the BACK 3" and the front 2". I kinda like the "old school" low front/high back look, but I would do it reversed to get good balanced traction at both ends.
Kurt_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Kurt_OH

Just went back and looked at that article. Camaro was faster around the track than Miata (thankfully!), Nissan 370Z NIZMO and BMW135i.

Pretty impressive!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Just went back and looked at that article. Camaro was faster around the track than Miata (thankfully!), Nissan 370Z NIZMO and BMW135i.

Pretty impressive!
but the driver didnt want to drive the camaro after doing his hot laps.....not very good.

im hoping a pedders tune will fix that right up
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
Kurt_OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
but the driver didnt want to drive the camaro after doing his hot laps.....not very good.

im hoping a pedders tune will fix that right up
Understeer is ZERO fun. I think Pedders will fix it.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #24
Jericho
Come see me.

Drives: Chevrolet Line-up
Send a message via Yahoo to Jericho
I've purchased the Pedders Camaro Sport pkg and the Drop Coil kit. Hoping that will fix this nicely. Although wont be able to get to a track for a while but I will be doing some good long distance driving.
Vin#30271
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
Kurt_OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
I thought the video sound of all the cars was kinda muffled, but the Camaro did sound deep and powerful. The tires DID squeal a lot, and early, in the curves though. I went back to post in the thread about that article, but two threads started on that article have been closed?

I'd prefer to not have to talk about mods to make it right, and instead have it built with a competently handling suspension, stock. But, it's not a deal KILLER, just a factor to consider when shopping. Still, what else can you get? I think the Camaro pretty much defines a category with all that power, good looks and excellent brakes. I'd rather need a set of springs, and have that engine . . .
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #26
jerseymike68
Account Suspended

Drives: black
thanks for these information
jerseymike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I know this thread died almost 2 years ago, but I had an experience with an 135i today. I've got my Camaro Pedderized now so she sits nice and low. I guess the BMW dude saw that and wanted to play (looked like he had done a little bit himself, no way to really tell though), he was goosing the throttle on and off next to me, while I was stuck behind traffic in my lane. I heard him down shift and punch it, so I changed lanes over behind him and did the same. He had a big jump on me so I didn't real him in, but I did stop his pull. If we had started side-by-side I think I could've taken him.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #28
camaro125

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2ss/rs
stock for stock i think the SS has the win, but that 135 can put out some serious numbers when modded. My friend has one with a tune, headers, downpipes, and twin filters. he puts down 405 to the wheels. The car is absurdly quick
camaro125 is offline   Reply With Quote