Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Evolution XI: Plug-in Hybrid?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-gen...go-hybrid.html

Quote:
Mitsubishi is placing a new focus on green motoring, with that shift expected to carry over to the next-generation Lancer Evolution – the company’s top performing model. The next-generation Evo XI will reportedly come packing a plug-in hybrid drivetrain.

According to Motor Trend, Mitsubishi has decided to go green for its next-generation Evolution model. Set to be based on the same platform as the PX-MiEV plug-in hybrid concept, the Evolution XI will reportedly feature an electricmotor derived from the i-MiEV and a high-output 2.0L MIVEC turbo four-cylinder.

Straying from the typical hybrid model, the Evo XI’s electric motor will be used exclusively to drive the car’s front wheels. When extra power is needed, the 2.0L gas engine – rumored to develop 320 horsepower – will fire up, providing propulsion to the vehicle’s rear wheels. Under most driving conditions, the Evo XI will be an electrically driven front-driver. Thanks to its plug-in drivetrain and lithium-ion batteries, the Evo XI will have an all-electric range of several miles, which should provide a significant boost to overall fuel economy.

Despite its green intentions, Mitsubishi engineers are still setting the bar high for the next Lancer Evolution. The Evo XI is expected to make the sprint from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, with the car’s electric motor acting as a secondary — and smoother — turbo. And since electric motors make all their torque from 0 rpm, the Evo XI shouldn’t experience any turbo lag.

Mitsubishi is working on a number of other technologies for the Evo XI – including Active Steering and Roll Control Suspension – pushing the car’s launch date back a few years. Expect to see the Lancer Evolution XI in Mitsubishi showrooms sometime in 2013.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I've thought for a while that electric AWD could be a good way to go for performance cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I've thought for a while that electric AWD could be a good way to go for performance cars.
I thought it sounded cool by it acting as a secondary turbo. But the way it is explained, this might be a car that can change from FWD/RWD to AWD on the fly. Like you being able to pick FWD for cruising around, but come racing time you could switch it to AWD.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote