Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #71
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmat View Post
Thought I'd share my story with ya, based on things you've said in your thread. Different circumstances, but hopefully you'll find it helpful? Like you, I bought my car to keep and love. I've had all kinds of nice cars and I love this SS vert! Had an accident in May that was not my fault. Happened just after I got it exactly where I wanted it with a drop kit, tint, stripes, headers, tune, CAI, debadged, blacked out, new grill, etc. Car was gone for three months for repair. The accident was devastating to me. In short, they stripped it back to the firewall. I thought I'd never think of it the same way, that it would never be the same again, and that I'd want to dump it afterward. I picked a good shop and rode them throughout the repair. I've had it back a month now and I can honestly tell you that I love it still. It drives like new and has no issues whatsoever. I even had them throw a ZL1 front bumper on. So, in spite of bad circumstances, sometimes things workout well. I hope the same goes for you too! Good luck!

Thanks. When I saw the car today I was glad to see it. Sounds strange to have these feelings for a car... at least on this site I am not alone.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #72
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I never heard an answer to my question as far as what the dealer actually did.

The reason I ask is that others have brought up the lemon law. IF this damage occurred because of Hurricane rain on the lot, lemon laws probably would have nothing to do with this.

The dealer would still be responsible, however I believe it might be treated different from a car that had ongoing mechanical problems they were working on. Now, the damage is storm related, and might be covered in a different way than a normal repair would.

Lawyer up, regardless.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #73
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I never heard an answer to my question as far as what the dealer actually did.

The reason I ask is that others have brought up the lemon law. IF this damage occurred because of Hurricane rain on the lot, lemon laws probably would have nothing to do with this.

The dealer would still be responsible, however I believe it might be treated different from a car that had ongoing mechanical problems they were working on. Now, the damage is storm related, and might be covered in a different way than a normal repair would.

Lawyer up, regardless.
Dude you have to read the thread... my car was stored outside by the dealership for over three weeks BEFORE the hurricane. They stored a car that they were repairing for a top leak outside!!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #74
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Dude you have to read the thread... my car was stored outside by the dealership for over three weeks BEFORE the hurricane. They stored a car that they were repairing for a top leak outside!!
I did read the thread.

I understand it was at the dealers for 3 weeks outside. My question still stands. Did the water damage happen DURING the aftermath of the hurricane, or had it rained during those 3 weeks and that was when it was damaged. That part was not clear in any of the posts.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
tramtwo

Read the op it had been three weeks on 8/30
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #76
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Read the op
Heh, you could just answer the question too.

OP:
Nope not from Issac from a local dealership

Maybe this is what you're referring to, but it doesn't answer my question. How exactly did the water damage happen. Did it happen during the 3 weeks it was sitting outside BEFORE Isaac? Was there a lot of rain during this time where the water damage? You could be implying that it was caused by the dealership DURING Isaac because they left it outside. There is nothing here that says that "it rained on August 1-2 quite heavily, and that's when the damage occurred". It doesn't say they ran it through the car wash with the top down. There is NO detail on what actually caused the water damage....which is what I was asking.

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

Nothing here talks about how any of the damage occurred either.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here...I am asking a legitimate specific question that I hadn't seen addressed in ANY of your posts.

And, the only reason I asked that is more because of how I think the dealer would have to deal with this damage AND whether it would be taken into account for lemon laws. That's all.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #77
tramtwo

Dude it rained everyday for three weeks with the car stored outside with a known leak! Thanks for your advice non the less. Thought the "not from Issac" was pretty clear. Frustrating all around. Sorry I don't sound grateful.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #78
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Dude it rained everyday for three weeks with the car stored outside with a known leak! Thanks for your advice non the less.
Thank you for answering the question I don't live in New Orleans, so I have no idea what the weather was like 3000 miles away. Which is why I asked.

edit: It's been my impression that there were droughts all around the east/southeast. Hadn't heard anything about rain, except that it was supposed to ruin crops because of all the sudden rain.

Hope your car gets fixed.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #79
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If it;s not totaled then I'd be looking for all fabric that absorbed moisture to be replaced. Usually, in a case like you have it will grow dew/mold smelling in the car if the carpet goes untreated. I know that from personal experience with my old 96 Z28 T-top car.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #80
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Like everyone else, sorry this happened to you. I lived in hot humid Dallas and Houston for years. Mold in buildings are a real issue and there were firms that could come to your home, and with a hand held unit measure for mold spores in the air and determine safe levels. Mold and aireborn spores is such an expensive problem to fix that mold abatement was written into my home owners policy.

Only info I can add is when you finally get your car back I suggest you park it outside, top up for two weeks. Then have the car tested for mold spores which could be at an unhealthy level even before you smell something is not right. If after two weeks in the sun mold spores are tested at an unhealthy level, then contact a consumer lawyer as you will have proof the car was not repaired properly. Until you have proof with testing I don't think you have much of a claim. At least you will know one way or another if your mold issue has been corrected.
Best of luck.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #81
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #82
tramtwo

Service manager called today. The water bag install is done and the new carpet goes in tomorrow or the next day. Still no mention of a mold remediation. I wonder... is there an official GM process to deal with this sort of issue? For those keeping track the dealership has had this car for 36 days.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #83
epatrone

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS L99
Most insurance companies will total the vehicle because they do not want to hold responsibility for damage in the future caused by water. There is a nice second option, they total it, give you your money, then buy it back for about $1500 as a salvage title and fix whats wrong and with some luck your car may run great. If not I am sure a buyer will take it from you at a higher salvage price. Ed
epatrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #84
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Mold will kill you! Just ask Ed McMahon's family.

Tags
mold water corrosion