Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Kreamsicle FreightTrain

Drives: 2012 2ss convt m6
Talking Over 800 continuous top down miles!

Hello all,

Took a trip down to Atlanta for the memorial day weekend. It was hotter than the devil in a sweat suit!

The car performed flawlessly!

Got a nice tan.

People in Atlanta really loved it....almost like there aren't many Camaro verts there.

Did 1600 miles in total.

AVG mpg 23 @ 80! (to 85)

Got over 400 miles out of many tanks (At one gas up DIC said 422 to empty).

No Problems from law enforcement (they were very scarce)

Tons of smiles, waves, looks of envy, shock and surprise . I spread the permagrin!

The mountains in Georgia were great fun.

I did my part in decreasing the bug population

Here is the best part.... all in-town driving and the entire return trip were done with the top down! Over 800 miles!

Tonneau Cover in place and not a peep of a problem.

The trip made me love the car more. Also made me want to take more road trips!

In my mustangs (00 & 01 gt) best I ever got out of a tank was 325 miles and that was pushing it.

If I have one complaint....radio is not loud enough. Thats it.

I got back to Chicago feeling energized and ready for another road trip.

If you haven't taken a nice road trip in your car......your really missing out.

Chris
Kreamsicle FreightTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Love that top down feeling, I used to live in GA but the bugs and humidity got to me so I moved to Vegas
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Going topless makes everyone smile!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Nice! This is what verts are for. My top has been in the well for three weeks straight now because I've got an extra car temporarily so she gets to play garage queen on rainy days for a while. If I had my way, it would never come up again.

In fact, this just gave me a great idea....take the damn thing off altogether and save a bunch of weight!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
I make a long road trip when I transferred. I drove from Ca to Fl to Michigan, all with the top down!!!! I am so looking forward to my next transfer just to have an excuse to do it again!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Nice! This is what verts are for. My top has been in the well for three weeks straight now because I've got an extra car temporarily so she gets to play garage queen on rainy days for a while. If I had my way, it would never come up again.

In fact, this just gave me a great idea....take the damn thing off altogether and save a bunch of weight!

You might want to watch the top being down that long. Others have posted here in threads that they left it down for long periods of time, and it has formed creases in the top that are hard to get out when the top is up.
Just as an FYI....

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i agree with newcamaro owner. the top should not be left down for more than a couple days at best, garaged or not. i have left mine down 2 days at most. the top needs to breathe. also, creases will be bad. i even contacted Haartz, the maker of the top, and they told me 2 to 3 days at best, not a week or weeks.
OP, sounds like a great trip. yes, i notice on highway, the radio does struggle with wind noise. i am still thinking of a wind restrictor. they about $400. but, nothing beats the top down and wind blowing. these cars are fun, despite some of the problems peeps are having.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Well folks it got 113 degrees here in Vegas, with the sun blasting down on me I had to throw the towel in and put the top up and crank the AC, sometimes it is like sitting in a furnave here. However, the mornings before 11:00 and the evenings after 6:00 are super nice for top down driving here....I'm just lovin it...
Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Highly recommend Skyline Drive followed by Blue Ridge Parkway, ending with the Tail of the Dragon. October is perfect for this one (foliage and temperatures ideal). Great way to spend a week.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Kreamsicle FreightTrain

Drives: 2012 2ss convt m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i agree with newcamaro owner. the top should not be left down for more than a couple days at best, garaged or not. i have left mine down 2 days at most. the top needs to breathe. also, creases will be bad. i even contacted Haartz, the maker of the top, and they told me 2 to 3 days at best, not a week or weeks.
OP, sounds like a great trip. yes, i notice on highway, the radio does struggle with wind noise. i am still thinking of a wind restrictor. they about $400. but, nothing beats the top down and wind blowing. these cars are fun, despite some of the problems peeps are having.
Thanks, it was a great trip...i'm looking forward to more miles of smiles. As for the radio, top down or up, its just not loud enough.

I too am considering a wind deflector, but not @ $400 bucks, when the right deal comes along i'll get one.

I try not to leave the top down for days @ a time but I don't get to drive mine every day so it sits in the garage waiting to ride. Once i wet the top and brush it with my hand the creases seem to go away. I think they are unavoidable though as my mustangs did the same thing with vinyl tops.

Love the tonneau cover, I don't travel with out it even for short trips. I got it down to about a minute on and a minute off. Practice makes perfect Makes the car look better ( is that even possible?) when top is down. It almost looks unfinished to me now with out it. lol.

At speed mine is solid as a rock , absolutely no movement.

There is nothing like that wind blowing on you while driving!

Yes the car is not perfect but what is? The smile it gives you is worth it. I too have a few rub marks and the top flaps, but since I now use the cover, those worries are gone. I'm choosing the path of least resistance. If the top malfunctions ,ill take it in. Otherwise, im going to get my monies worth! There isn't a hotter looking vert @ this price imo!

Now once the rain stops.....more top down driving!

P.S. I've done a lot of tasteful mods......pics coming soon.
Kreamsicle FreightTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
When I read stuff like this, my BS detector starts buzzing. It makes me want to do just the opposite. But, what do I know? I've only had the car for two months. So, I tell you what I'll do. I'll be the guinea pig. The top has been down since May 17. I'll let you know what happens when I decide to put it up. Poor thing will probably be dead by then, suffocated no doubt.