Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
CVT Transmission

How does a CVT transmission works, I'm under the impression that its a advance 4-speed ?

anyone wanna input

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
NECRO THREAD GOOOOOO!

Ok but seriously, I just had the same question pop up. I was looking at one of the Jeep Patriots and reading some reviews online; one of the main complaints was the CVT transmission, so I'm wondering what makes it le suck?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
NECRO THREAD GOOOOOO!

Ok but seriously, I just had the same question pop up. I was looking at one of the Jeep Patriots and reading some reviews online; one of the main complaints was the CVT transmission, so I'm wondering what makes it le suck?
They are noisy, actually cost performance, and the MPG is worse than with the 5 speed stick. The auto being a CVT is the big reason I ended up with a manual It is annoying when you accelerate and it revs up to 6k rpms and sits there. I am hoping they ditch it in the Patriot for the 6 speed automatic and add anouther 30 or so HP, might trade this one in then LOL.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A CVT is less efficient than a manual or traditional automatic, but it lets the engine operate in its most efficient range so overall, its more effient. Thats the good part. The bad part is that they tend not to react as well to quickly changing demands (such as needing more passing power). Thats the main complaint I've heard about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
How Stuff Works is sooo much better: auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
They also have very limited torque-handling abilities....not suitable for high-power applications. The only version I've ever heard of needs a belt. A belt acting as my transmission makes me nervous.

Characteristically, it makes your vehicle accelerate almost identically as a similarly-powered electric version would.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They also have very limited torque-handling abilities....not suitable for high-power applications. The only version I've ever heard of needs a belt. A belt acting as my transmission makes me nervous.

Characteristically, it makes your vehicle accelerate almost identically as a similarly-powered electric version would.
turns out there are numerous other types, check out the howstuffworks.com link. I didn't know there was anything besides the double cone+ belt system either
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
turns out there are numerous other types, check out the howstuffworks.com link. I didn't know there was anything besides the double cone+ belt system either
I do remember the toroidal system, now...I had forgotten all about that.

Seems so alien...heh. A transmission that doesn't shift.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
I have the 2009 Maxima and the CVT is actually pretty smooth.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Can you say snowmobile?

Essentially a belt on two adjustable pulleys providing variable ratios.

GM had one for a very short while. I had a CTF VUE with a CVT.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Brokinarrow

Cool, thanks for the answers everyone!

Oh and Stew - How do you like the Patriot?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Cool, thanks for the answers everyone!

Oh and Stew - How do you like the Patriot?
It has been a really good little vehicle, only warranty repairs were a speaker and a wheel center cap. Trouble free driving for 2 years and 50k miles so far.

Anyways, just to give you an idea of what I have. It is an 07 4x4 Sport with the 5 speed manual, 17 inch wheel/tire package, 25e convienence packge (power windows, locks, flat folding passenger seat, reclining rear seats, stain repellent fabric, AC).

The highs are:

The ups are the passwnger room, easily holds 4 adults,

Best winter driver I have ever owned

Decent offroad espcially considering it is not the off road package

Love the ability to lock the 4WD on it

reclining rear seats are great!

Comfortable trip vehicle

Good gas mileage (I average around 26MPG in mixed driving)

neat features that have actually come in handy: plastic textured load floor instead of carpeted, rechargable flashlight,

Extremely maneuver and almost crazy small turning radius.

decent mid/top range power

Super easy to work on. You basically just have to reach under the front end to get to the oil drain plug and oil filter, and even the spark plugs are easilly accessible for a change (right on top of the engine).

cold ac, burn you up heater, seriously I don't think I had to scrape my windows at all last winter LOL, just cranked up the defroster for a couple minutes.

Decently sprightly road manners.

Price: I got it it for around 20k out the door and that without any available factory cash, sticker was around 23k I believe and they have 1500 cash back or low APR on them right now too.

Cons.

Mine being an 07 it has the plasticky interior. THe 09s got a complete interior redesign that is actually very sharp.

A bit of wind noise, also fixed on the 09s.

Some wandering by the front end, also fixed on the 09s

Wish I had cruise which is actually part of the 25e package now

While cargo room is decent, it is definatly a small vehicle

If you are tall have to kinda duck down at stoplights to see them if you are the front car at a red.

backdraft off of large trucks will knock you areound some, though the 09+ may have taken care of this, not sure since IMHO it probably has a lot to do with the shape and relatively light weight

wish it had a little more ground clearance

wish you could get the offroad package with the manual

Wish it had lowrange (see above the low range that is part of the off road group is actually part of the cvt transmission).

Engine could use more low end grunt.

Prices have went up some and can get pricey (high 20k range) if you check all the boxes (limited, navigation, media center, etc, etc)

Honestly it has done everything I asked of it plus a whole lot more. I can easily suggest this vehicle to anyone, especially the 09+ models which take care of like 90% of the gripes. I have honestly considered trading for a 10 with offroad group since they have good incentives right now. I would have to get the CVT, but most owners say that you get used it quickly. it does have an autostick mode on 2wd and the FD1 4wds with 6 gears programmed in. They have a latiude package right now that is prettynice. for 23k you get the AWD, all the features of the 25e, heated seats, the wheel and tire package, cruise, badging, and a few other thinks and the sticker for the ones locally with the auto is around 23k, negotiate the price and with either the 1500 cash back or the 0% financing you get a hell of a deal right now!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
CVT is a smooth quiet tranny, I think its great for a luxury type car that you want a smooth powerline etc. its not a sportscar.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Brokinarrow

Awesome, sounds like a good lil vehicle, thanks Stew!