Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
CamaroConvertible

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
Evaluating Top Work

I bought my Certified Pre-Owned 2011 convertible in mid-December as a Christmas present for my wife. In March, the third time we used the top, we ended up with a broken 5th bow. Thanks to those on this forum who helped identify that problem.

I took the car back to the dealer where we purchased it, Bachman, in Louisville, Ky, and they attempted a repair. When I went to pick it up after they completed the job, it was immediately obvious that the work was sub-par. There were large wrinkles over the passenger window and a gap at the left front next to the driver's door big enough to put four fingers in. I didn't press the issue because if the service writer was so clueless about convertible tops that he would present to me a car that, without question, was not properly repaired, then I didn't want them to do any more work on the car.

I took the vehicle to Champion Chevrolet in LaGrange, Ky. The Champion service manager indicated that he had an experienced tech, but it took a while to match up schedules to get the car to them. The car is at Champion now and I told the service manager that the car was not a daily driver and to take their time to diagnose and fix the issues.

So with that background, here's my question: What should I look for to evaluate whether this latest attempt at repair is done right? I really, really want my wife to be able to drive this car without having to worry about the interior being ruined if it rains.

Last edited by CamaroConvertible; 05-14-2014 at 03:24 PM.
CamaroConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Go look at brand new '14 or a '13. It should look like that.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
CamaroConvertible

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
Update: We picked up the car today. The top looks and works great so far (one down-up cycle). With the concurrence of GM, the repair job was farmed out to a local auto upholstery shop that specializes in convertibles. Their characterization of Bachman's work was "shocking." Not only did Bachman not properly fix the original 5th bow problem, they damaged a pivot joint enough that it had to be replaced along with the 5th bow (again).

I am impressed so far with the GM CPO warranty.
CamaroConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote