Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #57
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Might want to take a look and see where those Spectre parts were manufactured...
Would love to blame the contaminated Spectre parts... but I would think my hands would have had the issue... I know I rested my forearm on the front of the car (The metal edge in the engine bay) while I was contemplating how things were going to go together.... Actually I did that a number of times... LOL

Hmmm... Guess I really should have taken The Coasters advice!

"You can look but you better not touch"

or

"You'll be scratchin' like a hound
The minute you start to mess around "

and just for FUN...

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #58
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Perhaps your wife put some diabolical potion under the hood to keep you out.

Hope you heal up soon.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #59
Venom40k
No... not the SS...

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS *Red*
You may have upset the Camaro Gods or something Seriously though ... you still rock man. You do things so people like me can learn stuff I either don't know about... or are too scared to do myself. Hope your family and your arm gets better
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #60
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Thanks guys!

Arm doesn't quite itch so bad today... Other family member is doing better also!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #61
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Glad to hear you and your family are doing better!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #62
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Glad to hear the fam is better!
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #63
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
I have been Working on something real close to that,but without the factory filter
I changed the top of filter box and used a spectre filter in the box. no pics yet.
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #64
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Don't know if anyone else is reading where they are going to test different CAI. Someone suggested that he also test the K&N drop in filter. He said he already Dynoed with the filter removed, 1 HP improvement.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #65
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Exclamation Durmax Air Filter Test Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
Don't know if anyone else is reading where they are going to test different CAI. Someone suggested that he also test the K&N drop in filter. He said he already Dynoed with the filter removed, 1 HP improvement.
I did read the "Duramax Air Filter Test Report" ..It was in the V8 eng. Disscussions section ......Your Opinion--Is a K&N Air Filter worth it?

This is part of it . I could not copy all of it........Sorry,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To see the complete report with MANY CHARTS go to the V8 section under (Your Opinion -Is a K&N Air Filter worth it? ) .........THEN GO TO POST #15 & at the bottom of the post CLICK on " Look at this and then decide if it worth it "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine). Arlen Spicer, a GM Duramax Diesel owner/enthusiast organized the test. Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter). Ken, also a Diesel enthusiast and owner of a Ford Power Stroke Diesel, shared Arlen’s interest in performing an accurate unbiased test of different types and brands of diesel engine air filters. The filters used in the test were purchased retail and donated by Arlen and other individual Duramax Diesel owners. The detailed reports from the test have been compiled and are presented in the following pages. The final pages of this report present the interesting story how and why Arlen organized the test.

ISO 5011 Test:

The ISO 5011 Standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. As Arlen learned in attempting his own tests, there are many variables that can adversely affect filter test results. A small temperature change or a small change in humidity can cause the mass of a paper filter to change by several grams. To obtain an accurate measure of filter efficiency, it’s critical to know the EXACT amount of test dust being fed into the filter during the test. By following the ISO 5011 standard, a filter tested in Germany can be compared directly compared to another filter tested 5 years later in Rhode Island. The ISO 5011 filter test data for each filter is contained in two test reports; Capacity-Efficiency and Flow Restriction.

Capacity and Efficiency:

The Capacity and Efficiency test report presents the test results of feeding an initially clean filter with PTI Course Test Dust (dirt) at a constant rate and airflow. The course test dust has a specific distribution of particle sizes ranging from less than 2.5 microns to greater than 80 microns (see table below). Every filter is initially tested at 350 CFM and the Initial Restriction or differential pressure across the filter is recorded in IN-H20 (Inches of Water). The filter is then tested by feeding test dust at a nominal rate of 9.8 grams per minute with a constant airflow of 350 CFM. The test is continued until the flow restriction exceeds the Initial Restriction + 10 IN-H20. At this point the test is terminated and the amount dust passed through the filter - Accumulative Gain - is measured. Dirt passing through the filter is captured in the Test Station’s Post Filter. The exact amount of dirt passed is determined by measuring the before and after weight of the Post Filter. Similarly, the amount of dirt retained by the Filter under test - Accumulative Capacity – is measured by taking the difference between the before and after weights of the Filter. From these results the overall % Efficiency of the filter is calculated. This test also indicates how long a Filter will last before replacement is required (or cleaning for reusable filters).

Flow Restriction:

This report presents flow restriction of a clean filter resulting from an increasing airflow. The differential pressure restriction across the filter is reported in inches of water (IN H2O) versus Air Flow in cubic feet per minute CFM.

Data from these reports has been compiled and presented in the following bar graphs, Plots and data tables.

Filter Efficiency:

Filter efficiency is a measure of the filters overall ability to capture dirt.

Accumulative Capacity:

“Accumulative Capacity” is a measure of dirt holding/loading capacity before reaching the maximum restriction limit - Initial Restriction + 10 IN-H20.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #66
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I was referring to the shop that will test the different CAI. This is from that thread and he responds to the K & N filter request.

Originally Posted by jhmurphy
Any possiblity of testing a K&N filter in a stock air intake?

Yes I can if K&N sends one, I would not expect much though I pulled the air filter and it only made One HP.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #67
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
You can't compare filter and air flow of a Turbo Diesel V8 to a normally aspirated engine. Totally different animal. A DuraMax will suck a small child through the turbo given a chance.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #68
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Nickel is a very common metal allergy.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #69
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Welcome to my world. I wear gloves to do anything automotive related. My favorite reaction is to solvents or strong bases. From contact to rash can be just a few minutes. My arms don't react as badly as my hands thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
UPDATE!!!!

Ok... So I had a very unexpected result from this experiment... turns out I'm allergic to my car! So last Thursday working the intake tube I keep reaching down and leaning on the car... as a result i had a couple scratches on my right forearm.. Friday I noticed scratches were little red areas.. no big deal... Saturday the red areas started spreading and really started itching like crazy!!! By yesterday my arm was swollen, red and the itch was driving me crazy...

So now i'm thinking oh great, arm is infected... but hey I'll tough it out for a few days and see if it gets better... LOL Wife seen it differently... she sends my down the street to the Urgent Care clinic.... oh, yea! LOL!

Ok, doctor comes in... show him my arm and i says , "I think it's infected..." He looks at it and say, "That's not an infection... you're having having a reaction to something... have you been in the woods lately?" Explain to him that nope, haven't been in the woods... just working on the car... LOL! OMG! I'm allergic to my car!!!! So he gives me a couple of prescriptions and I'm on my way!

But it got me thinking today... I've been trying to think of a name for my car..... well it be came very clear today.... And her name is Ivy... Poison Ivy!!!

"She's pretty as a daisy but look out man she's crazy" (from The Coasters - Poison Ivy)

BTW... my arm is looking better today! LOL

bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #70
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

So a week later...