Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
ac223mal

Drives: car
Thin Paint

Quote:
Yesterday, 03:48 PM #5
fbodfather

"Thor" (who just happens to be yellow) is now at 14,000 miles and has exactly two chips on his fascia - -that's after having a tire tread thrown at his 'face' by a Grand Cherokee while I was doing *a bit* over 70mph on I-75. Every mark from THAT episode wiped and waxed completely clean!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39509

The response from the fbodfather in the above thread.

I have a SIM camaro with a huge paint chip in the front bumper and two smaller ones that didn't go all the way through to the plastic. This is crazy I drive several car lengths away from other cars to avoid this. I stay away from rush hour traffic and high traffic roads. I stay away from roads that are crappy to drive on (ie loose gravel or dirt). If I had known the paint was gonna be this thin I would have bought a black or CGM car as least the damage would be hidden.

I have a 97 SS with the orange vinyl stripes, the only road rash you see on the bumber is in the vinyl. I decided a long time ago I was going to have to repaint it, so Im not to worried about paint chips. Even with the difference in driving styles the paint is not damaged to the bumper.

I had a 97 silver camaro, my dad has it now, you don't see road rash on the front bumper of it.

I doubt my car would hold up very well to what Thor went through. In fact I'm sure I would have to repaint the whole bumper if my car went through that.

I am so disappointed....

Last edited by ac223mal; 09-25-2017 at 04:30 PM.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Thats my only complaint. The paint is super thin and soft.:(
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
ac223mal

Drives: car
Mine to, the other stuff is common with a new model vehicle and will get fixed. This won't get fixed. GM isn't going to repaint our Camaro's. It seems that where the plastic is painted it is soft and thin. In the picture I attached you can see where it peeled back but it's still attached. I was hoping my car would still look great in 10 years if I took care of it. I don't see that happening unless I leave it in the garage. The paint will simply not hold up.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
Thats my only complaint. The paint is super thin and soft.:(
Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Batman0837

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS # 71394
I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but from the looks of that picture, it looks like the paint didn't have a chance. There is a chunk of plastic missing behind the blemish in the paint. While you may be correct about the thickness of the paint, that looks like a bad example to back up your stance.
Batman0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
Mine to, the other stuff is common with a new model vehicle and will get fixed. This won't get fixed. GM isn't going to repaint our Camaro's. It seems that where the plastic is painted it is soft and thin. In the picture I attached you can see where it peeled back but it's still attached. I was hoping my car would still look great in 10 years if I took care of it. I don't see that happening unless I leave it in the garage. The paint will simply not hold up.
Make friends with your service manager.

One stroke of the "Thin Paint" pen, and a new paint job can be yours, under warranty.

Then, make friends with the painter. Give him a gift he will appreciate.

You may get a show-car paint job for free.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote