Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
real deal 101

Drives: Navy baby
In A nutshell (subs,amps *&* anything else i should kno)

okay ladys and gents, i didnt grow up with anyone surrounding me wiaudio knowledge.
i dont know what an AMP,SUB is nor do i know what i need to get my car to sound good. NOT THOSE GUYS IN AN IMPALA AND THE STEREO SHAKES THE FLOOR

in a nutshell can you tell me how it works ?
real deal 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Someone will post with way more knowledge than me but in layman terms, it goes like this:

Your stereo sends an electrical signal via wires to a processor or "Amplifier" and from there the signal is converted and "boosted" and sent to the speakers for sound and the subwoofer for bass.

Basically all a subwoofer is, is a giant "Air mover" and that is what creates the concussive force that you interpret as bass or low level sound.

Here is a pretty good read if you're interested:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...o-systems.html

I, personally, am looking for a clean sound at a medium to loud volume with a little bit of clean bass.

I would look into replacing the factory door speakers (With a 6.5") and rear deck speakers (Which are 6"x9") with some decent quality speakers.

If you want a little bit of bass, go with a 10" sub and a good Amplifier. If you're wanting more bass, go with a 12" or (2) 10" subs or (2) 12" subs etc etc

MY plan for reference?

Front - 6.5" Polk speakers
Rear - 6x9 Polk speakers
Subwoofer - Single 10" Polk,or something similar
Amplifiers - A Mono (1) Channel amp for the subwoofer and a (4) channel amp for the other speakers.

(1) channel on the amp will power each speaker for a total of (4) speakers (2 front and 2 rear) for all intents and purposes.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
black12lt

Drives: black 1lt 2012
Yea there is plenty of help here guys, I'm sure more will chime in in the am
black12lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
damn nutro, that helped me dude. i was on the same boat. i want a good clean sound like you. i have a very reliable shop here and i will take it to them and let them know what you said.
i want to also get some subs in the trunk with a custom box to fit the contours and have it for a show purpose with a good sound.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Nutro gave you some good info. If there are any other specific questions you have on your audio system, just let us know. There are a lot of very knowledgable and friendly people on here that are happy to help.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
If you want good, clean sound... don't buy cheap speakers! Especially your interior speakers. You don't need to break the bank, but there is a huge difference between a 200 dollar set of components and a 400 dollar set. But you need to really set up a budget, and decide what you think is "good". For a lot of people, you can spend 1000-1500 and they think it sounds great to them. For me... I spent that on my front speakers alone.

Also, they might sound great in a display case, but try to listen to the speakers in a car if you can.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
thanks OP for posting this. i got a lot of good info and i know what direction im going in now when i go to my local audio shop.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
if you change speakers and connect them to an Amp coming from an aftermarket radio, would you lose the onstar and the backup sensor signal?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..go ask those Impalas w/ gorillas in their trunks.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote