Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Help for fitment of fiberglass hood

So I have a PFYC Sinister hood; we test fit it (although we didn't completely latch it) and all lined up well; meticulously painted the hood, stripes and installed... 2 issues found upon final install;

#1- hood latch hits lever; chipping underside of hood; fixed by filing down latch

#2- center tip of hood rests about 1/5" below bumper seam... very noticeable. Conversely; sides at back are perfect; however sides at nose sit about 1/3" high above the fender lines.

#2 is vert concerning as; on a white car; these seems are very predominant. I've already messed with the stoppers and adjusted them to their max/min and still no luck. I can probably add a piece of rubber to the underside of the hood at the middle stoppers to raise the nose; but that's gonna raise the sides even more as well... in particular; the passenger side is higher than the driver...

So for all my experienced body shop guys on here what can I do to raise the nose and lower the corners to even this hood out being already fully painted??????

Thank you in advance!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
So I have a PFYC Sinister hood; we test fit it (although we didn't completely latch it) and all lined up well; meticulously painted the hood, stripes and installed... 2 issues found upon final install;

#1- hood latch hits lever; chipping underside of hood; fixed by filing down latch

#2- center tip of hood rests about 1/5" below bumper seam... very noticeable. Conversely; sides at back are perfect; however sides at nose sit about 1/3" high above the fender lines.

#2 is vert concerning as; on a white car; these seems are very predominant. I've already messed with the stoppers and adjusted them to their max/min and still no luck. I can probably add a piece of rubber to the underside of the hood at the middle stoppers to raise the nose; but that's gonna raise the sides even more as well... in particular; the passenger side is higher than the driver...

So for all my experienced body shop guys on here what can I do to raise the nose and lower the corners to even this hood out being already fully painted??????

Thank you in advance!
Try raising/lowering the latch mechanism (gotta take the radiater shroud off). Other than the stoppers, I really don't know what else you can do.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You can loosen the Torx screws that are on the radiator shroud to lower the top of the bumper.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Super HUGE THANK YOU to Jim at Ohio Speed for walking me through the various adjustments! Got it darn near perfect now; looks 10000000 times better!

Stieger; your correct; that was part of the fix. That coupled with raising the fennder panels lined it right up!!!

Thanks everyone !
Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Jim is a very good guy and has helped point me in the right direvtion in the pass. Shout out to ohio speed!!!

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Super HUGE THANK YOU to Jim at Ohio Speed for walking me through the various adjustments! Got it darn near perfect now; looks 10000000 times better!

Stieger; your correct; that was part of the fix. That coupled with raising the fennder panels lined it right up!!!

Thanks everyone !
Raising the fender panels?? I gotta hear this...
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Raising the fender panels?? I gotta hear this...
On either side of the engine bay on the top inner fender walls are 2 standard #10 socket bolts; those anchor the fender down. If you slip a washer or 2 between the fender panel and the metal underneath it'll raise the top of the fender slightly. Probably gonna wanna do the same to the similar bolt anchoring the fascia just in front of the first fender bolt; keeps them even. I used 1/2/0 on the passenger and 1/1/0 on the driver damn near perfect! Need to raise the latch about 1/6" and it'll be golden!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBri View Post
Jim is a very good guy and has helped point me in the right direvtion in the pass. Shout out to ohio speed!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
welcome the world of fiberglass..
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
welcome the world of fiberglass..
Yeah, the passenger side rear corner of my VFN Sunoco Hood is raised slightly above the fender while the rest of the fitment is spot on... I've learned to just deal with it since I don't want to modify the car's body lines just to accommodate it. Unless you're standing up close to the car, you can't even notice.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Just thought I'd update with a few great tips n tricks I was told and some i discovered myself... got a perfect factory fit now!

You can raise the Fender height by adding washers between the 3 bolts on either Fender, this can give you up to about a 1/4" Fender raise at 3 different points as needed.

2 bolts near the center latch will raise/lower center bumper height.

Worst case scenario, hood latch can be adjusted with a long extention through the grille, full range of movement.

And what worked the best for me, although a bunch of trial and error, adjusting the angle of the hood on the hinges makes a world of difference, including evening out the heights in the front!

Took awhile but eventuallyi found that magical sweet spot!