Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
2SS/RS_Infantry

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Question What do I 100% NEED to know?

I am in the military currently deployed in Iraq just a few weeks from coming home on leave and picking up my 2SS/RS A6 Camaro. I've been on here for awhile trying to learn as much as possible. I have already had a CAI intake, and Borla cat-back exhaust delivered so that I can install as soon as I get back. I am picking the car up in Georgia where I am stationed and the same day driving it to Missouri where my family lives. These will be my initial break in miles. Just in case, while on the drive I plan on running the fuel as low as possible to refuel with 91 octane the whole trip. If it feels sluggish, when I arrive in MO I plan on doing the Fuse pull. Then I will perform the mods. Does this sound right? Should I get it tuned after these mods? I will only have two weeks with it before I redeploy and won't see it again for six months. Please let me know what you would do?
2SS/RS_Infantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
nduda78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Im new to the 2SS myself, just picked mine up 2 days ago, so I am still learning. I come from a background of modding imports a ton, so my only recommendation is to not touch the new camaro until long after break-in and its first oil/diff/tran change. Wait a bit before modding.
nduda78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
First and foremost...... have fun with your camaro.

Thanks for serving <S>
Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
On the break-in, the thing you want to avoid is a long periods of constant RPMs (like
highway driving). So on your trip home try to vary the RPM some (use 4th, 5th and 6th gear) and make frequent stops.

On the mods, you don't really need to tune the computer for an intake and catback, but a tune will give you a bit more power and efficiency if you do. Be aware that touching the tuning an any way will probably void your 5-yr powertrain warranty. My advice would be to hold off on the tune until you get deeper into modding (headers, head porting, cam swap, etc).

Oh, and don't run the tank so low that you risk running out - and if you do, shut off the engine on the first sign of stuttering and call for help (OnStar). You don't want to burn up your fuel pump on the way home.

btw, welcome back and enjoy the car...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Highway running is just fine. I bought a brand new Z06 in 04 and drove 1500 miles straight to the FL keys after leaving the dealership with 2 miles on it. About a half mile to the on ramp, then set the cruise at 80.

It also idled in the dealer's parking lot for about 45 minutes while we did paperwork. It was near zero degrees out, and I wanted that puppy warm before hitting the road. So the no idle thing is also a bunch of bunk.
The car turned out perfect and put down fantanstic dyno numbers a few thousand miles later after violating every internet break in rule there is.

99% of the break in hysteria you read on the internet is B.S. Buy car, enjoy it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You need to know that this vehicle demands respect. It can get you zero to dead in the blink of an eye. It has ton of power on tap. Be careful, be safe and have fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
critteral

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SSRS, Maggie SC, Kooks
just have fun, you will be fine. What you have laid out will work, don't worry about the tune just yet. Its not needed for the mods you will do, wont hurt, but not needed.
critteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
roccky08

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White/Beige Interior
You can get 93 here in GA
- Pfadt End-links - Installed
- Pfadt Strut Tower Brace - Pending
- BMR Trailing Arm - Installed
- BMR Toe Rod - Installed
Thank you Vengeance Racing for install and recommendation
Thank you Borla for the ATAK Exhaust
roccky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Sounds like you know everything that you NEED to know. If you want to go with a tune, go with Trifecta. Vince has the best customer service of anyone I have ever dealt with. He will also give you the stock tune, so if you can always flash your car back to stock.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you will be fine.only suggestion i would have is to always run 93 octane "top tier" gas.i use shell.your owners manual will tell you what sight to check in the computer for all approved gasolines.enjoy your new car and your leave.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
If you run out of room up front - the trunk is large enough for a few more people/babe's who will want to take a ride!!! Have fun!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Well, first thank you for your service to our country!

Good advise given allready, enjoy the ride and welcome home!
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
2SS/RS_Infantry

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Thanks for the advise from everyone, wasn't sure if Georgia had 93 or not since it does that's what I'll use. I'll try to vary the RPMs on the trip. I do plan on making several stops as sadly I'm still a smoker and there's NO WAY that I or anyone else will light up in this car!!
2SS/RS_Infantry is offline   Reply With Quote