Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Decisions, decisions

I've got just general questions really. I've got a 2LT, with the RS package and I'm wondering if I where to go with a Turbo or Supercharger kit, would it really be worth it for a daily driver..? The wife's already said "no" but I'd talk her in to it if it went that route..! But if I didn't, aside from, changes to the exhaust, headers, etc., what are some other mods I could make without ending up in the poor house. I'd like to get as Superchatger or Turbo kit if it was really worth it. But I'm seeing more cons than pros, cause for one I don't frequent the track and usually Florida State Troopers are everyone limiting that room to run! Just looking for some input! Thanks folks! Any insight is appreciated..
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You have a lot of time to think about it. There is only one TC on the market right now and it's far from perfect. There are no SC options that I know of.

If you're just driving normally, you probably don't need it. Instead, get headers, tune, exhaust, and CAI and be done with it. Less than $3000 and more than enough power for daily driving.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Have to agree. Just what your budget will allow. A maggie installed is $6500-7000, and depending on the turbo setup (single, dual, size, etc.) that & more. The results though are spectacular!
they make maggies for the v6???
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
All good ideas folks. I like where your heads aer at. I was thinking along the same lines.
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6LS2_or_2010camaro_owner View Post
they make maggies for the v6???
No....That's for the v8.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
jim505

Drives: 2010 Red V6 STS Turbo Installed
I have the STS Turbo installed and lov'n it. I use the car for a daily driver, be prepared to spend around 8,000 installed.
jim505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You have a lot of time to think about it. There is only one TC on the market right now and it's far from perfect. There are no SC options that I know of.

If you're just driving normally, you probably don't need it. Instead, get headers, tune, exhaust, and CAI and be done with it. Less than $3000 and more than enough power for daily driving.
Why do you say that the STS kit is far from perfect? Hurst is planning to sell 50 Limited Editions with the STS Kit. Jim and I have successfully installed the kit. I know there are a couple of other cars running around with the kit with no issues. So I'm curious as to your comment.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Why do you say that the STS kit is far from perfect? Hurst is planning to sell 50 Limited Editions with the STS Kit. Jim and I have successfully installed the kit. I know there are a couple of other cars running around with the kit with no issues. So I'm curious as to your comment.
I think people are going to continue to say that until someone with the kit gets on the track and proves it works. The only track test we've seen was slower then stock
Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Z Madness

So the only way to prove that it works is to get a track time? Is there a minimum 1/4 mile time that needs to be run for it to work? Jim will be taking care of that soon so we should make sure he know what number he has to hit.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Maurdib

Quote:
So the only way to prove that it works is to get a track time? Is there a minimum 1/4 mile time that needs to be run for it to work? Jim will be taking care of that soon so we should make sure he know what number he has to hit.
Bolt ons fastest times are 13.8, with over one hundred more horse I think people would like to see something like a 13.2 and under
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
There's more to running a fast time than just power(ask the SS guys that are running 14's). There is some skill involved, and the power has to be plantable. There's v6 guys running nitrous who haven't gotten as low as you're wanting mostly due to traction.
I am impressed with the STS kit. Turbo just isn't the way I wanted to go(mostly due to price as I'm a cheap-ass). I am hoping when Jim gets it to the track we are all impressed.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
Z Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
There's more to running a fast time than just power(ask the SS guys that are running 14's). There is some skill involved, and the power has to be plantable. There's v6 guys running nitrous who haven't gotten as low as you're wanting mostly due to traction.
I am impressed with the STS kit. Turbo just isn't the way I wanted to go(mostly due to price as I'm a cheap-ass). I am hoping when Jim gets it to the track we are all impressed.
Agreed. I'm hoping Jim can put down some numbers. I just don't understand why people think the STS kit doesn't work. I think once the 50 Hurst models are out, if they sell any, they will be put to the "test".

I wish I had access to a 1/4 mile track. For now, I'm just enjoying the Turbo.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Maurdib

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
HUH, didn't ROD register a 12.6 on a 100 shot of NOS?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Maurdib

Quote:
Agreed. I'm hoping Jim can put down some numbers. I just don't understand why people think the STS kit doesn't work. I think once the 50 Hurst models are out, if they sell any, they will be put to the "test".

I wish I had access to a 1/4 mile track. For now, I'm just enjoying the Turbo.
The thing people also have issue with is that it shouldn't be you or Jim that needs to prove it works, STS should have all the stats of what their kit can do, but they blatantly avoid giving 1/4 mile numbers, that makes people errie