Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
dougpaw57

Drives: 2011 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to dougpaw57 Send a message via Skype™ to dougpaw57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Just upgraded my Camaro to the SS Brembos and I noticed that the pedal feels like it catches a bit low (mid pedal). Has anyone that's made this switch seeing the same thing or do I have to rebleed the brakes?
I was going to do this swap on my 2LT but found out the master cylinder and ABS unit were also different on the SS. Too much to mess with for little or no off-track gain.
dougpaw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Here is the link to doing the Brembo swap to a V6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62282

I just bought my front Brembo's from SLP for $349. I did not have them ship the rotors as I will be using Brembo rotors and it saved about $80 in shipping.

You should re-bleed the brakes starting at the Passenger Rear, moving to the Driver Rear, Passenger Front and finally Drivers side. Make sure you are checking the master cylinder inbetween each axle bleed to make sure you have enough fluid.

From what I have read on the forums you do not need to do anything with the ABS or change out the master cyclinder. I could be wrong, but that is what I have been reading.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
Do not have that same experience, you might have to bleed the brakes again.
Did you use a vacuum or the pedal pump method to bleed the brakes?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaw57 View Post
I was going to do this swap on my 2LT but found out the master cylinder and ABS unit were also different on the SS. Too much to mess with for little or no off-track gain.
You should have no issues changing the brakes without changing the MS and ABS. I did however change the MS for better pedal feel.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
dougpaw57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
You should have no issues changing the brakes without changing the MS and ABS. I did however change the MS for better pedal feel.
I don't understand, you don't need to change it, but it's better if you use the correct parts?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
nak3dsnake

Quote:
I don't understand, you don't need to change it, but it's better if you use the correct parts?
Yeah, thats kinda the reason I changed it too. The SEMA concept V6 cars (synergy,black,leno) that had brembos also had the SS master cylinder. The ABS was not changed.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #21
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
The SS master cylinder is slightly larger, meaning it will give a shorter, more firm pedal than the V-6 M/C (yet will require MORE pedal force to engage the ABS). Functionally, either will work, so it's your choice.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Did you use a vacuum or the pedal pump method to bleed the brakes?
Shop used a vacuum.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
dougpaw57

I was reading on Motor Trend that the RS outbraked the SS by 1 foot from 60 mph. The only advantage of the Brembos was repeatedly braking on a track, they faded less. So if the Brembos don't stop shorter (I don't drive on a track), I don't think the liability/warranty hassles are worth it. I will say that the Brembos look a whole lot better than the RS brakes.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #24
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
ok guys, I reblead all my calipers in the right sequence and I'm happy to inform that it took care of the issue. The pedal feels right on just like the original but with a better bite.

Someone mentioned that the SS stops a foot beyond the LT. Just keep in mind that the SS is about 200 lbs. heavier than the LT and the Brembos don't have the brake fade issues. Besides the main reason I switched was not for better stoping power because the original brakes stop just fine. My issues was that i got tired of looking at my huge 20" RS wheels with these piunnie rotors and caliper by comparison.
Now I'm happy with the overal look and feel of my awsome Camaro.
I love my ride!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
dougpaw57

Quote:
ok guys, I reblead all my calipers in the right sequence and I'm happy to inform that it took care of the issue. The pedal feels right on just like the original but with a better bite.

Someone mentioned that the SS stops a foot beyond the LT. Just keep in mind that the SS is about 200 lbs. heavier than the LT and the Brembos don't have the brake fade issues. Besides the main reason I switched was not for better stoping power because the original brakes stop just fine. My issues was that i got tired of looking at my huge 20" RS wheels with these piunnie rotors and caliper by comparison.
Now I'm happy with the overal look and feel of my awsome Camaro.
I love my ride!
I agree with you about the RS brakes look too small with the 20" wheels. The only reason I'm considering the swap is for the looks. I heard the Brembos have squealing problems, is that true?
Just based on the fact that there is a couple of pounds of weight added to the Brembos which is usually there to dampen vibration.

Last edited by dougpaw57; 05-30-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Forgot Something
Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
I agree with you about the LT/LS brakes look too small with the 20" wheels. The only reason I'm considering the swap is for the looks. I heard the Brembos have squealing problems, is that true?
Just based on the fact that there is a couple of pounds of weight added to the Brembos which is usually there to dampen vibration.
I fixed that for you... The RS is a visual package avail on the LT or SS...
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
dougpaw57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
I fixed that for you... The RS is a visual package avail on the LT or SS...
I agree, but the LS has 18" wheels and can't use Brembos. Only a 1 or 2LT can be an RS and would have 20's on it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
nak3dsnake

Quote:
I agree with you about the RS brakes look too small with the 20" wheels. The only reason I'm considering the swap is for the looks. I heard the Brembos have squealing problems, is that true?
No squealing issues with mine.