Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Arubberbaby
141LE

Drives: 14 AGM 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
Why no talk about what class you want to compete in? Non-adjustable coilovers net you less points than double adjuatables in the case of NASA-X for instance. Things lake chassis bracing usually net you a point a piece but aren't worth it on a modern car as stiff as the gen 5.

I don't see the point of going 285/295. You lose the ability to rotate AND if you go by the rulebook wider-than-oem tires add points to your car classification. So that's a lose-lose as far as I can tell. Oh its also more expensive.
I'm currently running Esp. I really need to read up on the classes and what I can and can't do in ESP.
But I will move to another class if need be later on. But I won't be do anything to drastic before the end of this season.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Your square set up now is not really square, you have two different size wheels with the same size tire stretched across the back wheels...

The 10.5" wheels, you need to make sure you order them from someone that can nail the offsets, like Nineball, because there won't be a lot of space to fit them...I am running 20x10.5's right now with 295/35-20's all around and there is not much room...the front's will stick out a little due to this..

The wheels the 1LE comes with are pretty light to begin with, and adding the Michelin sizes I recommended, optimizes the wheels with best tire size combo to get you the most grip without spending a bunch on wheels/tire combo that will not improve the 1LE's handling by much based on my experience.

Just some friendly advice from one who has tried many combinations...
What class are you running So Cal? I assume since you have the CTS-V brake mod you are in SM but a street tire class? I run in SM in a Mistubishi EVO but also have a Camaro that I might start to run occasionally in SM. Have you tried 18 inch rims for AutoX? Sorry about the slight thread jack but since you all are discussing tire set-up and AutoX, figure it was appropriate and something for the OP to consider.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
What class are you running So Cal? I assume since you have the CTS-V brake mod you are in SM but a street tire class? I run in SM in a Mistubishi EVO but also have a Camaro that I might start to run occasionally in SM. Have you tried 18 inch rims for AutoX? Sorry about the slight thread jack but since you all are discussing tire set-up and AutoX, figure it was appropriate and something for the OP to consider.
I don't run SCCA events, so should clarify that. SCCA is too few runs and too many rules for me...

I run in Pro Touring events like Midwest Muscle Car Challenge, Heidt's Performance Car Challenge, Run to the Coast and Run to the Music City Holley LS Fest and Optima Qualifier Events last year, this year they are Ultimate Street Car Association events...Yes, everything I run in requires a 200TW+ tire.

I have not tried 18", because they mess with the gear ratio's too much, too small a diameter tire. Every alteration causes new issues to deal with, even positive changes can cause unintended consequences. The 19's I ran previously had similar issues with changing shift points and when gears hit the rev limiter.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
So cal, what would you recommend as far as wheels. I thought about going to a lightweight 19" but don't want issues like you said.

Good thread, also planning to do auto-x

Doing the CTS-V brake upgrade currently. Then coilovers.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #19
Arubberbaby
141LE

So Cal. I should be at Holley LS Fest this year. If your going we will have to get together.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Gentlemen,

SoCalCamaro won't mention this but if you were to look at the AutoX standings for the events he mentioned you would probably find his name near the top, if not at the top, for all of the events he entered. I won't share his real name, ask him, because I do not know if he wants it publicly known. I will say that he has been tracking his car for that last few years in many variations and knows his stuff. Don't doubt, just bask in his knowledge and take it for free because it is worth a whole lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post

I have been to 3 autocross events in the last 4 weeks, I set the fastest lap and won the overall autocross at MATS in Vegas this weekend, was 2nd both days for Modern Muscle at the Street Machine and Muscle Car Nationals at Fairplex in Pomona and 3rd place both days in Modern Muscle at Hotchkis event at Fontana...

As one of the few that actually drives the shit out of my 1LE at as many events as I can get to...
Rant....
Folks, when you are looking for advice on these forums, either from vendors or posters, please use your head. I would sooner take the advice from a vendor who is out there doing it on the track and has a car using the parts they are selling than from one who just talks about it. Same goes for the folks giving advice about tracking or autoX their car. If they haven't been on the track then they have no business giving advice. Okay /rant.

OP, You might also want to ask this question in the Road Course/AutoX section of the boards so you can get some more exposure to the folks into AutoX.
Edit: I see you did, nevermind.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #21
Synner

Drives: cars
The best balance of light weight, strength, and price would be 19" Forgestar CF5V, 19x10 if you want a streetable middle ground or 19x11 all around for a track day only setup.

I have the CF5's in 20x10.5 all around but they're not the lightest wheels. Forgeline monoblock would be top of the line and lightest weight if money is no object. But track pads will jack up the wheels so thats a lot of cash for wheels that will be embedded with abrasive dust after the first track session. For full slicks its worth it running a forged or monoblock wheel for strength on a 2 ton behemoth but people have run forgestars too and I haven't seen any issues. Avoid the ebay super special clearance wheels direct from china that many vendors on here sell. Cheap low pressure cast wheels are not something that belongs in motorsports.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #22
Arubberbaby
141LE

Those are the exact wheels I want. But I think I'm going to follow SoCal's lead and just do the Michelin PSS for now.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #23
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Gentlemen,

SoCalCamaro won't mention this but if you were to look at the AutoX standings for the events he mentioned you would probably find his name near the top, if not at the top, for all of the events he entered. I won't share his real name, ask him, because I do not know if he wants it publicly known. I will say that he has been tracking his car for that last few years in many variations and knows his stuff. Don't doubt, just bask in his knowledge and take it for free because it is worth a whole lot more.

Rant....
Folks, when you are looking for advice on these forums, either from vendors or posters, please use your head. I would sooner take the advice from a vendor who is out there doing it on the track and has a car using the parts they are selling than from one who just talks about it. Same goes for the folks giving advice about tracking or autoX their car. If they haven't been on the track then they have no business giving advice. Okay /rant.

OP, You might also want to ask this question in the Road Course/AutoX section of the boards so you can get some more exposure to the folks into AutoX.
Edit: I see you did, nevermind.

T.
x1000 but some people seem to take advice from anyone

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

[QUOTE=Synner;7583808] But track pads will jack up the wheels so thats a lot of cash for wheels that will be embedded with abrasive dust after the first track session. [QUOTE]

That is 100% accurate....I have a set of Forgeline's that are damaged to prove it...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubberbaby View Post
Those are the exact wheels I want. But I think I'm going to follow SoCal's lead and just do the Michelin PSS for now.

Those 19 x 10's CF5's would be good, will make the Camaro feel like a slot car with the right rubber on them...If you want to save some cash in the interim, the Michelin's I proposed would be an improvement for you on your stock 1LE wheels. Demon 1LE on here recently switched and loves them as well, especially since he beat me the weekend he added them...
Anyway, you have my facebook information and can see everything I have done with my Camaro's.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #26
marolf101x

Drives: 2010 Test Mule
LOL! How many sets of Forgelines do you want to see that are now all the same color?

I just received our first shipment of production intent triple adjustable struts from Fox the other day. Everything looks great!

I'll have to check the production schedule and get back to you all as to when they'll be ready to ship.

As of right now the next outing for our 5th gen will be the USCA (Ultimate Street Car Association) event at Daytona May 23-25.
If all goes well I'll be in the 5th gen (with a few new tweaks). We'll also have our 48 Hour 67 Camaro, our 66 Chevelle (on air), a 61 Impala Nascar tribute, and anything else that runs well enough to make it to Florida.
marolf101x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
LOL! How many sets of Forgelines do you want to see that are now all the same color?

I just received our first shipment of production intent triple adjustable struts from Fox the other day. Everything looks great!

I'll have to check the production schedule and get back to you all as to when they'll be ready to ship.

As of right now the next outing for our 5th gen will be the USCA (Ultimate Street Car Association) event at Daytona May 23-25.
If all goes well I'll be in the 5th gen (with a few new tweaks). We'll also have our 48 Hour 67 Camaro, our 66 Chevelle (on air), a 61 Impala Nascar tribute, and anything else that runs well enough to make it to Florida.

Britt,
you saw what mine looked like last summer while parked in your shop, silver had lots of black on it...

Glad to hear the triples are almost ready to ship...sounds like Ride Tech is going full force to Daytona...

I'll be at the Fontana USCA event, maybe with the Ride Tech equipped 56 Crosby is still building for me...or maybe with the 1LE. Dannie
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #28
Arubberbaby
141LE

Thanks SoCal. I appreciate all the advice.
Ps I've been fb stalking alittle. Lol