Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Who has installed the LPE clutch return spring??

I picked up the LPE clutch return spring (LPE said it will work with the Z/28). The installation looks simple enough, but it appears under the dash is a tad different than in their instructions (metal plate you hook into is designed slightly different it appears from the images), but more to the point, I am having a bitch of a time getting the end of the spring into the hole on the frame. I mean, I can probably bend it out more, or force it with a screwdriver (if I can manage to get both arms below the dash while breaking my back lol), but I don't want to break it.

Is there some kind of trick to getting this damn thing into the hole?
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
I’ve been running no spring since the second time I drove it. Love the clutch feel now
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #3
Whitlow

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I have one did not see the hole put out on the metal plate and works great

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
I’ve been running no spring since the second time I drove it. Love the clutch feel now
Wasnt planning to remove the current spring (which apparently pushes the pedal down instead of pulling it up), just adding the LPE spring. I've stuck the pedal to the floor before, I'm just working around that issue
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlow View Post
I have one did not see the hole put out on the metal plate and works great

I think the Z/28 models might be a little different. It gets connected to the clutch pedal a bit below the current spring, then attached to the frame under the dash in a little hole thats just below the wiring and just above the ODBII port (thats the same in all the models I think). I can't get the spring into that hole for some reason unless I do some *adjustment* to the spring

Last edited by HoodCheck; 09-18-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Whitlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
I think the Z/28 models might be a little different. It gets connected to the clutch pedal a bit below the current spring, then attached to the frame under the dash in a little hole thats just below the wiring and just above the ODBII port (thats the same in all the models I think). I can't get the spring into that hole for some reason unless I do some *adjustment* to the spring
That was me it said hop the longer ends is the spring to the whole. Mine was the same on both ends.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlow View Post
That was me it said hop the longer ends is the spring to the whole. Mine was the same on both ends.

lol mine is too. I thought I was nuts since the instructions claim 1 end is longer, so I measured it...definitely the same.

Guess I'll just bend it out a tiny bit.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Does this LPE spring add pedal ‘weight’?
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
From what I've heard it adds a bit of resistance. Will follow up with the thread once I get it installed. I guess I'm going to have to do a little bit of bending to the spring. I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in about the install honestly given how a clutch pedal sticking to the floor can be a bit of a nuisance. I just don't want to limp home in 1st gear or have that "oh shit" moment at high rpm while trying to slowly/calmly press the clutch a few times to try to get some pressure back.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
Whitlow

Quote:
Not enough to make a difference

Old 09-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
given how a clutch pedal sticking to the floor can be a bit of a nuisance. I just don't want to limp home in 1st gear or have that "oh shit" moment at high rpm while trying to slowly/calmly press the clutch a few times to try to get some pressure back.
Is this a common problem with our Zs? Does it occur during "heavy" street usage or is this more of a track problem as a byproduct of boiling brake (clutch reservoir) fluid. Almost sounds like it's a band-aid masking a worn or defective component. Enlighten me please, I too have no desire for the dreaded "oh shit" moment near 7000 RPM!
Old 09-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Is this a common problem with our Zs? Does it occur during "heavy" street usage or is this more of a track problem as a byproduct of boiling brake (clutch reservoir) fluid. Almost sounds like it's a band-aid masking a worn or defective component. Enlighten me please, I too have no desire for the dreaded "oh shit" moment near 7000 RPM!
Its common with all 5th gens (as well as vettes going back many years). Happens from high RPM driving. I don't track mine, and the only time it happened is a couple of times when I really got on it with my last Z/28. Hasn't happened on this one yet, but I also havent even really floored it in this one yet, so doing it as a preventative measure.
Gen5diy sells a clutch reservoir kit (which I also bought and am adding) to help with this as well. The return spring is a bit of a bandaid, yes, but my understanding is that when it happens, it will pull the clutch back out, which opens a valve back up to get pressure to the clutch once again.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
havent even really floored it in this one yet
I admire your discipline! I'm a fairly low-key individual but once I get behind the wheel of my Z I transform into a character straight out of an Ed Roth illustration. Thanks for the clutch info. Mentioned in a different post there is a unit offered by JDP Motor sports that I may look into. In addition to the remote reservoir they offer a replacement brake reservoir in their kit for a clean installation.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #14
HoodCheck

Quote:
Installed it tonight; springs back better, but doesnt add much of any extra resistance really.