Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
HarriSSon

Drives: 2013 2SS L99 Camaro
Thumbs down Is Sharky Totaled? *PICS*

Came through the golf course neighborhood where my girlfriend lives at about 10 on Wednesday night. Hadn't been raining so I didn't expect traction issues. Nonetheless I still EASED through her neighborhood because my uncle lives there too and knows my camaro and would cuss circles around me if he saw me speeding. But more importantly, it's residential. Kids play in those streets. So I'm almost through the series of curves leading out of the subdivision. I approach the last curve about 30 (it's a 25 MPH zone). I attempt to brake BEFORE I enter the 90 degree turn but I can't get any traction. So at about 30 I get to the curve and my car doesn't turn either. So there I go. Off into the steel fence that's around the golf course. Now I know you're reading this saying, "OK this guy was hauling ass and wrecked" seriously, I was going about 30. I'm normally home before that time (as I'm 18 and still live with my family) but it was a few minutes after 10. Turns out the golf course water sprinklers come on at around 10 and had wet the entire stretch of road including the curve and the stretch leading up to it. It's an older asphalt road and the top is somewhat a gravel top from years of use. So once it's wet there's no traction. The steel fence was thick. Not chain link. Pretty sure my car is totaled. Personally I hope it is. If not it's getting traded as soon as insurance fixes it. Air bags DID NOT deploy. Onstar didn't activate (I had to call them) and I didn't have a scratch or bruise on me. The Ga State Trooper didn't write me a too fast for conditions ticket or failure to maintain lane. He did give me a tires ticket because my front tires were slick (had shop appointment to be replaced the next morning).

Here it all is. What's your honest opinion on it? Don't worry about hurting my feelings. I have thick skin.
HarriSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Pictures?
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
nope, buff right out.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I had an incident in my first Camaro on a sprinkler soaked road.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
I'm gonna be honest with you - no one is going to believe this.

For one, your back story about the kids and your uncle is more than slightly unbelievable coming from an 18 year old mind with a Camaro. Definitely sounds more like a, "I'm going to try to sound better after-the-fact" story.

Two, even tires with 1/32" won't slide the entire length of an intersection, over a curb, into a fence from sprinkler water at 30mph. Also, I presume you don't take 90 degree turns @30mph.. did you use your brakes at all before the turn? This isn't a racetrack we're talking about, just typical driving... it just doesn't add up, buddy.

Three, provide pictures if you want to know if it's totaled. I can't imagine a fence did any more than simple body damage which will not result in the ~$25k repairs for your 2013 2SS.

You should really think twice about posting on the internet given your overall driving & car experience because you simply don't stand to gain anything here. The only opinion that matters is your insurance, and you're surely about to get a lesson about the cost of driving a vehicle that you'll be able to pass onto your thick-headed children (all of them are) driving in unsafe conditions with a very expensive car.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSSon View Post

He did give me a tires ticket because my front tires were slick (had shop appointment to be replaced the next morning).
And there you go, driving around on bald tires.... You're supposed to replace them before they go bald.

But, I agree with the above, even if they were worn out, I do not believe the whole zero traction claim. If you had been driving a normal speed at all, you could have stopped, the story doesn't add up.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
HarriSSon

First Pic

Name:  image (7).jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  424.7 KB
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Mom and dad should have bought you new tires. This is all their fault.

Too bad the wreck did not take the tires out so the insurance could get you some.

Based on that pic, they are not totaling a 2SS. Hope the they can get it straight again.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
First Pic
DAMN - flipped it over, too? Let me fix that for you.

Name:  attachmentOXPLLVH9.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  424.7 KB

Didn't even bend the bumper or break the headlights. I assume since the inner fender appears to be more or less undamaged, it was a glancing blow and there's no damage to any other part of the car.

Sorry, man... No way it's totaled. You may want to see how much your insurance is going to go up before trading it in on another (presumably upgraded) car.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #10
HarriSSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
And there you go, driving around on bald tires.... You're supposed to replace them before they go bald.

But, I agree with the above, even if they were worn out, I do not believe the whole zero traction claim. If you had been driving a normal speed at all, you could have stopped, the story doesn't add up.
I waited until the last minute to try and stop. I'm a teen and I'll admit. My driving isn't as good as an older persons. An experienced driver would've slowed down beforehand. By the time I hit the brakes I was up to the turn. Wasn't expecting it to be wet either. But I will maintain that my speed was about 30. There was no curbing. Or a ditch really. The pavement met soft golf course grass. I left the roadway sideways. Right off the end of the curve. If I had been speeding wouldn't air bags deployed judging by the pic? The car would've rolled is what the trooper said.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Too bad the wreck did not take the tires out so the insurance could get you some.
Yeah... any way you can sneak over to that lot and stick an icepick in those front tires before the insurance adjuster gets to it?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
DAMN - flipped it over, too? Let me fix that for you.

Attachment 671725

Didn't even bend the bumper or break the headlights. I assume since the inner fender appears to be more or less undamaged, it was a glancing blow and there's no damage to any other part of the car.

Sorry, man... No way it's totaled. You may want to see how much your insurance is going to go up before trading it in on another (presumably upgraded) car.

You're making good progress on your repairs, you got the car right-side-up. That's step one.

Stay calm, and be patient. You'll have your ride back before you know it.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
I waited until the last minute to try and stop. I'm a teen and I'll admit. My driving isn't as good as an older persons. An experienced driver would've slowed down beforehand. By the time I hit the brakes I was up to the turn. Wasn't expecting it to be wet either. But I will maintain that my speed was about 30. There was no curbing. Or a ditch really. The pavement met soft golf course grass. I left the roadway sideways. Right off the end of the curve. If I had been speeding wouldn't air bags deployed judging by the pic? The car would've rolled is what the trooper said.
No, and no.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
You realize you sound like your bouncing ideas of us so you can nail your story down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Yeah... any way you can sneak over to that lot and stick an icepick in those front tires before the insurance adjuster gets to it?

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote