Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Looking

Need some advice,my wife and I are looking for a 13 or 14 Camaro SS for Her,what are some things I need to look for as per problems ,and quirks that these cars have.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
It could be a long list. These cars are great, but if you spend any time looking through the theads you will see that they do have some quirky things about them. Nothing major and certainly no "common" problems. Test drive a couple.Learn about them. And let your wife decide.

Pay attention to the blind spots, the fat fenders, having to make wider turns to avoid skinning up the wheels, no spare tire, shallow rear seat, and most of all... the looks from others as she drives around with a huge grin on her face.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
woodstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It could be a long list. These cars are great, but if you spend any time looking through the theads you will see that they do have some quirky things about them. Nothing major and certainly no "common" problems. Test drive a couple.Learn about them. And let your wife decide.

Pay attention to the blind spots, the fat fenders, having to make wider turns to avoid skinning up the wheels, no spare tire, shallow rear seat, and most of all... the looks from others as she drives around with a huge grin on her face.
Thanks for your help sir,your the only one who replied,quess us Georgia boys stick together.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Too much fun probably tops the list...
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
Watch out for a rattle coming out of the transmission.
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, I would suggest getting a car with the back up camera. Also, not sure if it matters, I think the '14 models have a different rimless rear view mirror. With your Vette, she has already been exposed to permagrin. Good luck with ya'lls decision.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The automatic SS uses Active Fuel Management which can be annoying so that qualifies as a quirk I would say. I and others use a Range device to disable that "feature"
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
rjinotti

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS A6 & 2014 SW 2SS/RS M6
Go out and rent one for about 2 or 3 days then make your decision it's worth a couple bucks, drive it like you stole it then bring it back and then just decide on what color you're going to buy.....
Attached Images

rjinotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Try to stay away from fleet vehicles. Many on the market, so you may need to get a Carfax report or something equivalent to check out service and ownership records. You probably don't want to buy a vehicle that has gone through a bunch of drivers that have abused the car you are looking at. And I agree with the reply about the backup camera. Extremely helpful when backing in to park.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Mainly blind spots and having to guess when you're making turns so you don't scuff the wheels.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
bxqlsigelsq

Drives: bmw
The automatic SS uses Active Fuel Management which can be annoying so that qualifies as a quirk I would say.
bxqlsigelsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
woodstock

All things you don't know until you ask ,thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
It is hard to find the garage door opener by feel AND this is the worst thing I can say about my car.
Some people say they are hard to see out of but a couple of days of driving one and you forget all about any vision problem.
I'm going to get about 25,000 miles out of the rear PZeros. That's with many quarter mile runs and a lot of hard, paced laps at Watkins Glen.
My fuel mileage average for 24,000 miles is 17.6.
I love this car and I think your wife will love one also.
Plus she can come to Camaro5fest and BBOMG. Both great fun and great people.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
Thanks for your help sir,your the only one who replied,quess us Georgia boys stick together.

Ha! Shamed 'em into it...
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote