Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Mrbowtie26

Drives: 2015 CRT 1SS 1LE
Any chance they will not file Chapter 11 ?

Any chance this will not happen and they will try to make it without filing chapter 11 ? I'm thinking of buying up some stocks depending how low they go encase there is a chance.
Thanks
Mrbowtie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Slim to none. Right now it just makes no sence if they don't. I don't want them to but all the positive thinking and wishing will not change reality.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26 View Post
Any chance this will not happen and they will try to make it without filing chapter 11 ? I'm thinking of buying up some stocks depending how low they go encase there is a chance.
Thanks
...about as much of a chance that all of the pre-order folks will have their cars in their driveways tomorrow!

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
NO
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
They will file. It will actually be a very good thing for them. They can continue to streamline and become profitable. The great news for us is the Camaro is a very important part of that recovery.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
M3

Drives: 2002 BMW M3 Cabriolet
They will File. That is certain.

That is the ONLY way they can get out of all their financial, and contractual obligations without incurring (multiple) lawsuits.

BTW, it's the ONLY way they can shed 1100 Dealerships without repercussions.

LJB
M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Its not good for those that are waiting on cars that are not produced yet since that will create more wait time.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
a bk for gm shouldnt mean shutting down the plant in canada being gm is us based company so it should only affect us factories but i wouldnt think for very long, they already paid their suppliers for the month of june so that doesnt happen

1LT/RS 6M IBM CC BA
ordered 3-6-09
VIN # 2G1FF1EV9A9123847
picked up 7-17-09
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Its not good for those that are waiting on cars that are not produced yet since that will create more wait time.
Actually, it won't create any wait time whatsoever. My wife and I visited my dealer lastnight and he confirmed this. Before June 1st, GM will assess inventory at all of the dealerships that are left and then shut down factories indefinitely. This does not apply for Year Model 2010 vehicles including the Camaro where there are fewer cars and alot more demand. The bankruptcy theory slowing down the Camaro will not have any affect on the Oshawa plant. This information is accurate and logical. GM will still be on the hook for some debt that bankruptcy will not protect them from, so if a car is in demand, that assembly line keeps moving.

A little off-topic, but I just hit 3800 last week, get my VIN next Thursday and expected to get my car by June 18th, if not, sooner. Saw a Camaro 1LT lastnight. I was pretty impressed with the lines, though it seemed very stripped down (1LT what did I expect. Bothered me though that this car particularly was #1 in the lot at the Citi Field event before the Mets game last week. It was sold immediately and the owner drove it back to the dealership, but was not allowed to drive it home. It is sitting in the showroom for several weeks before he can take delivery of it. It sucks. Once I found out it was sold, I didn't even want to touch the car. There were a mad amount of people touching it, sitting inside it, etc. Man, if this was my car, I would be thoroughly pissed off. I took off my wedding ring, and watch because I was afraid of scratching this guys car. In these cases, are these owners compensated at all for allowing dealerships to do this? Free floor mats even?

Just for those wondering about headroom. This 1LT had a sunroof and sitting completely upright, your head will touch the roof, but most people recline down a bit for comfort and then you have plenty of room. I'm 5'11". The plastic portion of the interior dashboard was slightly better than my Cobalt SS/SC, but not by much. If they used the soft material from the Malibu on the dash, this car would be even better for it. I'm happy with the way it is though. Steering wheel is on steroids. It's massive, but I love it. Panel inserts matched up perfectly. Very happy with the car overall.

Last edited by DkknightX; 05-15-2009 at 10:00 PM.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Actually, it won't create any wait time whatsoever. My wife and I visited my dealer lastnight and he confirmed this. Before June 1st, GM will assess inventory at all of the dealerships that are left and then shut down factories indefinitely. This does not apply for Year Model 2010 vehicles including the Camaro where there are fewer cars and alot more demand. The bankruptcy theory slowing down the Camaro will not have any affect on the Oshawa plant. This information is accurate and logical. GM will still be on the hook for some debt that bankruptcy will not protect them from, so if a car is in demand, that assembly line keeps moving.
It's not that they have to shut down the factories of popular cars (Camaro), it's that the suppliers will refuse to send the parts to build the cars. They aren't willing to send supplies to somebody who may not pay for them.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They have been bankrupt for a long time. Since that first bail out dollar was accepted it was over.

BTW I think corporations should be made to suffer for 8 years just like Citizens credit scores. So they can get a taste of what it's like for the average joe plumber.

And the constitution is supposed to seperate the powers. I.E. the executive branch has no business ordering GM around or firing it's CEO. That's only empowered to the bankruptcy judge in the constitution.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
We shall see....
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
We shall see....
They'll always main some kind of operating capital, especially if selling Camaros is profitable. Who knows who is right or wrong? I'm not challenging you. It all comes down to hoping for the best I suppose. All I know is that according to my dealer, my car is at 3800, so I'm assuming it has a VIN and is built. For all I know, the dealer could be lying to me too? Who knows about this either?
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:

A little off-topic, but I just hit 3800 last week, get my VIN next Thursday and expected to get my car by June 18th, if not, sooner. Saw a Camaro 1LT lastnight. I was pretty impressed with the lines, though it seemed very stripped down (1LT what did I expect. Bothered me though that this car particularly was #1 in the lot at the Citi Field event before the Mets game last week. It was sold immediately and the owner drove it back to the dealership, but was not allowed to drive it home. It is sitting in the showroom for several weeks before he can take delivery of it. It sucks. Once I found out it was sold, I didn't even want to touch the car. There were a mad amount of people touching it, sitting inside it, etc. Man, if this was my car, I would be thoroughly pissed off. I took off my wedding ring, and watch because I was afraid of scratching this guys car. In these cases, are these owners compensated at all for allowing dealerships to do this? Free floor mats even?

Just for those wondering about headroom. This 1LT had a sunroof and sitting completely upright, your head will touch the roof, but most people recline down a bit for comfort and then you have plenty of room. I'm 5'11". The plastic portion of the interior dashboard was slightly better than my Cobalt SS/SC, but not by much. If they used the soft material from the Malibu on the dash, this car would be even better for it. I'm happy with the way it is though. Steering wheel is on steroids. It's massive, but I love it. Panel inserts matched up perfectly. Very happy with the car overall.

you are putting ALOT of trust in a dealers brainstorm........profitable or not, i think everything will stop. just like Chrysler.........i don't see how they couldnt.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote