Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
What about dimpled rotors for track use?
My understanding of the purpose of either drilled or slotted rotors, is to allow the superheated gasses, which form between the pad and the rotor surface, to vent. It supposedly prevents the gasses from floating the pads. A dimple does not allow escape of the gasses.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
513Speed1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I'd honestly stick with the stock brembo rotors. From friends that track their cars they tell me that as long as you have a decent vented rotor, you can use upgraded pads with a fluid change, season them and you're ready to tear up the track as far as stopping power goes. Here is a track prep guide that should translate over to a 5th gen if I'm not mistaken. https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf
Old 12-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs1le View Post
One more question on brakes. Had the wheels off doing some cleaning and notice four little steel casters on each front brake caliper. What are they and what do they do? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaSSnake View Post
They are referred to as roller skates and I believe their only purpose is to combat brake noise
They are Mass Dampers, additional mass to alter the harmonics of the brake assembly to reduce brake noise.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I realize its a different animal. But the grandsport corvette has drilled rotors from the factory. Atleast thats how my dads 2017 vette came. Wonder why they are so bad?
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #19
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
They are Mass Dampers, additional mass to alter the harmonics of the brake assembly to reduce brake noise.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I realize its a different animal. But the grandsport corvette has drilled rotors from the factory. Atleast thats how my dads 2017 vette came. Wonder why they are so bad?
Ask yourself how hard most Corvette owners actually drive their "showroom-stock/stockish" cars. And how many are only into cruising, Zaino, and doing the whole car show thing.

Each hole drilled in a brake rotor represents a location where the stresses from thermal expansion are intensified. This is mainly a fatigue situation where many low-stress cycles can be withstood but far fewer high-stress cycles. Each cycle is a "thermal transient event", and I used to do a little thermal transient analysis and quite a lot of fatigue evaluations back when I had a day job (not automotive-related, but the principles are the same).

There was a time when venting pad off-gassing was the more critical need, when pad formulations weren't what they are now. I remember a couple of cars that only half a dozen snubs from about 70 down to 40 in quick succession was enough to fade the brakes into near-worthlessness. I don't think you can even find a new car that bad any more.

Norm
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Simply search for "cracked rotors". Now, many of what's pictured are blanks, but that's expected as only track-guys tend to crack rotors (outside of neglect, abuse, or accident) and track guys tend to use blanks.

But take note of where the cracks on drilled rotors start:
https://www.google.com/search?q=roto...=lnms&tbm=isch

Last edited by Billy10mm; 01-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
I have Stop-tech drilled & slotted rotors on my '14 LS , but I don't track or drag race with it, I have no issues with them . Only reason I got them was I liked the look of them.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote