Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
rocketrider807

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Left Front Suspension issue?

Hey all, wanted to see if people might be able to shed some light on my issue.

Initial cause of concern: Go to track two days ago (yes it was cold but fun anyways!) and I get steering wheel shimmy under hard braking, but only sometimes, usually if I have the wheel off center (typically slight right because CW course).
Also notice that hard rights result in an odd tire squeal, like there is a frequency/pulsing to the squeal. To compound the symptoms, the left front tire is scalloping the outer tread slightly (trailing edge of tread is flared up). Right appears to have normal wear

Seems to drive fine in general when not being pushed. Get it home and pick up the front end, have the wife hold the steering wheel tight against the lock. Grabbing either front tire at 12 and 6 I get little to no movement. Grab the right wheel at 3 and 9 I get a "fair amount" of motion but nothing "clunky". Grab the left wheel at 3 and 9 and i get a small click and approximately the same amount of motion as the right. Try grabbing and shaking sub components (LCAs, tie rods, radius rods, steering shaft) and cant feel anythingabnormal. So Im fairly stumped

New front rotors were put on day before track day (replaced because I had steering shimmy on the street too above 60 mph, that seems to have disappeared now but like I said, hard braking makes it appear sometimes). Was aligned 3 months ago and havent hit any big pot holes or anything that shouldve disturbed the alignent. Tire pressures were held at 36 front and 35 rear so I dont think it was tire pressure. Wheel hub? How do I test to be sure before I drop $120?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
rocketrider807

Incase anyone was interested, it did turn out to be the wheel bearing. Rotor/pad noise masked the bearing noise but I was able to hear it when I removed the caliper!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrider807 View Post
Incase anyone was interested, it did turn out to be the wheel bearing. Rotor/pad noise masked the bearing noise but I was able to hear it when I removed the caliper!
How many miles are on your car?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
rocketrider807

Too lazy to run outside and check but something like 112k? Im owner like 4 and responsible for only about the past 3-4k mi, so who knows what kind of abuse it went through before me. Dont see any signs of modification at least.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrider807 View Post
Too lazy to run outside and check but something like 112k? Im owner like 4 and responsible for only about the past 3-4k mi, so who knows what kind of abuse it went through before me. Dont see any signs of modification at least.
The front wheel bearings have proven to be rather durable and robust. I am a bit surprised that you had a failure with only 112,000, but as you noted, we don't know how the car was treated by prior owners. With that in mind, I would suggest you do a life and death nut and bolt check, lay a wrench on every nut and bolt in the suspension and drive line to make sure they are all tight. Changing out all the fluids would be on point. I also suggest you cut open the oil filter and see what you find. My guess is the rest of the car will be in much better shape than the bearing
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
rocketrider807

With 3 track days in ive already got 3 oil changes in (and even an o2 sensor under the belt now). Everything appears to be largely golden! Nothing is siezed, bolts are all of reasonable torque (nothing has been gorilla torqued), no odd marks indicating ham-handed wrenching, oil comes out beautiful and uncontaminated (by solids that is).

A question for anyone that may know...the old bearing fell right out and the new one slipped right in....our front bearings are clearance fits???? They arent light to moderate press fits? I find this odd and just wanted to see if anyone happened to have a sumilar experience...