Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
WE LOVE OUR NIGHT OWLS

It does help when you roll with numerous police officers in the club
Attached Images

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I thought the OP was talking about Washington state?

also, i'd be afraid to put aftermarket tires on a car in PA. lol
Haha, it's not has bad as you hear here. The local cops are worse than the state troopers.

I posted the Pa law since the op's thread is in the general forum instead of the state forum.
Didn't realize he wanted to keep the discussion only to his state.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #17
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Haha, it's not has bad as you hear here. The local cops are worse than the state troopers.

I posted the Pa law since the op's thread is in the general forum instead of the state forum.
Didn't realize he wanted to keep the discussion only to his state.
oh, I don't know if it's supposed to be about his state or not, but that's what I was replying to.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
The law is pretty clear. Any lighting on the car has to meet a legal function. Most of the Halo and DRL lights you see are designated as a park function. The law says you can have up to four park lights on a car, and they can be white or amber. Some of the Cadillacs are doing four now, with fascia lights and headlamp lights.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I always tell my customers to leave them on white when driving to remove any possibility of getting pulled over.

It really depends where you live though. Some states are very lenient with lighting modifications and others will pull you over for anything, Virginia = Worst, from what I've heard. I've driven with green, light blue, purple etc. and never had an issue.

Keep the colors reserved for the shows IMO

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
It does help when you roll with numerous police officers in the club
Can't beat the Night Owl
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
The question was answered as if you were talking about the headlight itself and not the halo around the headlight. It doesn't appear they understood the question.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNW View Post
Bottom Line: Any color other than white is illegal while driving in the State of Washington.

The details: There have been countless threads debating the legality of after-market colored halos. Most posts tend to indicate that the general belief is that as long as they are not red nor blue, nor flashing (in any color), then they are legal during driving.

I wanted to put that to the test here in Washington State, so I read the relevant citations (which did not explicitly answer my question) and submitted the following email to the Washington State Police:

Here was the response in its entirety:

Full disclosure: I am a big fan of the NightOwl halo kit - I was an early adopter and have had countless great comments about the various effects I have demonstrated at meet-ups (read: on private property, parked), but prefer to drive with the halos set to a static light green color to match my trim (see sig or garage) for pictures.

Not sure if there is much room for misinterpretation - Unless the LED's (from Oracle, etc) or the entired LED chip (NightOWL) are federally certified, then not legal?
And they didn't really answer your question. Their response indicates "headlights", which the halo's are not. Although we all know the answer already anyway.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #23
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Well, in an extremely coincidental (and karmic?) twist, after driving with green halos for 9 months, less than 72 hours after posting this thread, I was pulled over for...yep, unlawful display of colored lighting. I think mostly because I was courteous and respectful, and said I would switch them to white on the spot, he let me off with a warning. Interesting that he did not site the above law, but rather that only fire department vehicles can display green lighting...? Can't say I have ever seen a fire department vehicle with green lighting of any kind, but regardless, had to switch to white today.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #24
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
I think the idea is safety first, most usually want cars to have amber lights, if they are bright white/etc it blinds the car oncoming. Amber is a softer light which makes it easy to still see the road when you are passing. Red lights are for brakes, the yellow or whatever for turning, you know. Everyone is on the same page, everyone understands what the hell is what. Any other lights are understood to be for emergency vehicles, such as on police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, etc. I don't think anyone at the time the law was written though about things like halo's, but I can see the point of keeping the law simple stupid because most driver are, haha. You can't just have everyone do whatever they want, eventually it runs into problems. If some guy wants green halo's, what if I want a purple led strip on the back? Or on the top of my car? You open the flood gates, someone always wants something more.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
icedaccord19

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
im confused soooo are halos technically legal or not lol....or is it one of those laws thats just not strictly enforced.....i ran 2 years with mine always on with no problems and just got recently pulled over for them(im in florida) i was thinkin about taking it to court because the statue he wrote on the ticket was basically about "indicator" lights and i was gonna argue my Halos are not my "indicator" lights...plus the officer wrote in his comments that my lights were displaying a red color and they were not red.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #26
icedaccord19

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
also i swear ive seen a newer model car with like a blue LED strip on the bottom inside of their headlight? looks very factory
Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #27
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
Why don't you, (all members) and car clubs, organizations etc. Write your legislators, courts, and leo organizations for the repeal/amendment of these antiquated laws. These laws were designed to prevent mainly "leo impersonation" Besides this there is no...or little reason for them. They are used to generate money "illegal tax" and too just pull people over for "whatever reason". I can speak since I come from a family of LEO's and I myself "shall remain nameless, know a few things" I had a few run-ins with leos over my car, if i didn't have a shield i would be in problems. It's sad but some guys have no luck. They stay in court being served with these rediculous laws that vary from state to state and even count to county. It's our duty as americans and car lovers to speak to the powers that be and make change happen. Why should we be pressed over these silly issues...this country and Leo's have many more pressing issues besides these.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #28
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
Why don't you, (all members) and car clubs, organizations etc. Write your legislators, courts, and leo organizations for the repeal/amendment of these antiquated laws. These laws were designed to prevent mainly "leo impersonation" Besides this there is no...or little reason for them. They are used to generate money "illegal tax" and too just pull people over for "whatever reason". I can speak since I come from a family of LEO's and I myself "shall remain nameless, know a few things" I had a few run-ins with leos over my car, if i didn't have a shield i would be in problems. It's sad but some guys have no luck. They stay in court being served with these rediculous laws that vary from state to state and even count to county. It's our duty as americans and car lovers to speak to the powers that be and make change happen. Why should we be pressed over these silly issues...this country and Leo's have many more pressing issues besides these.

The road isn't a car show. You'd never get anywhere with it.